Sign in to follow this  
Apech

A Mongolian shaman in atheist China

Erdemt is a 54-year-old former herder and, since 2009, a shaman. In China's autonomous region of Mongolia, he is considered an intermediary between the human and spiritual worlds. But his religious position under the rule of the officially atheist Chinese state is increasingly precarious

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/sep/20/mongolian-shaman-atheist-china-video

• Like 2

Well, the video didn't contain anything about his supposed precarious situation. I wonder where the footnote information came from.

And I did need to watch the video because it is my understanding that the Communists (not Atheists!) almost totally left the Mongolians alone to do their own thing. Sure, there were rule in the cities but you have that any place you go on the planet.

China is not "officially" Atheistic any more either. The Communists have allowed for the re-establishment of religions that were formerly forbidden by the fool Mao.

Apech, you need to find something better than that if you want to mess with me. Hehehe.

• Like 1

Well, the video didn't contain anything about his supposed precarious situation. I wonder where the footnote information came from.

And I did need to watch the video because it is my understanding that the Communists (not Atheists!) almost totally left the Mongolians alone to do their own thing. Sure, there were rule in the cities but you have that any place you go on the planet.

China is not "officially" Atheistic any more either. The Communists have allowed for the re-establishment of religions that were formerly forbidden by the fool Mao.

Apech, you need to find something better than that if you want to mess with me. Hehehe.

Oh its just what the newspaper said ... I just copy pasted it. I liked the video and thought others might like to see it that's all - it wasn't a dig at atheists or communists either.

• Like 1

Oh its just what the newspaper said ... I just copy pasted it. I liked the video and thought others might like to see it that's all - it wasn't a dig at atheists or communists either.

Okay. Yes, it was a good video and true to my current understanding of that part of the world. The Mongols have a very long tradition of Shamanism.

Sign in to follow this