Sign in to follow this  
SriChi

Deep dive - help a newbie start practicing

Hiya Bums,

So I went ape shit on Amazon and bought 11 books so far on qigong, ninjutsu and IMAs.

I've also been to local Ninjutsu and Tai Chi classes. Tomorrow, I'll be checking out some Bagua.

At this point, I'm kungfoozed :wacko:

My inner Dude is telling me I've to slow down and the Dude's always right.

I need you bums to opine for me.

What got me into this whole business was this need to reconnect with my body, befriend my body. So, I started doing Yoga, Shaking and Qigong. Then, it spilled over into some martial arts due to good ole Glenn Morris.

And I kept on being pulled in :ph34r:

My goals are:
1. Spiritual refinement with self-defense - which is what got me into Ninpo

2. Health, Vitality, Vigor, Virility - Qigong and sexual yoga

3. Energy work and healing - understanding my subtle body, meridians/chakras etc.

With this in mind, and not wanting to trip myself up by cross-training in a bunch of things, what would you all advice?

I get the feeling I might mess myself up by doing ninjutsu, taijiquan and bagua all at once B)

Or should I just distance-train in Hoshinjutsu and call it good? :rolleyes:

What would you suggest for the goals that I mentioned?

Cheers for reading,

Sri

• Like 1

OMG, it freaks me out that you said more

I just came back from a taijiquan class yesterday that swiftly put me to misery in that rascal stance. I've been sneakily doing it in the restrooms at work to see how much more pain I can bear. It is addictive because it is so deceptively simple :(

• Like 1

Breathwork, attain utter and complete stillness, its the balancing factor for all of the active stuff.

• Like 2

Many practitioners do a combination of Qigong and Martial Arts in there practice....and I think that is a good and balanced approach because internal work helps your progress faster in martial arts (atleast IME).

I would find a system of qigong that resonates with you and do it, I believe I posted a link to a thread in your introductory post regarding various styles. In regards to martial arts.....which one do you enjoy most, which one makes you go cocoo for coco puffs (do that one)? If you like I could do a Tarot reading for you for each style lol!

IMO its probably better to pick one and when you reach a certain level of mastery after many years you can see similarities in styles and thus get creative and play with other styles.. Also If your studying Qigong make sure there is a balance between reading and practice.....if not more practice than reading.....otherwise we become armchair practitioners.....you'll find that as you practice and raise your awareness, your understanding of energy naturally increases and supposedly "secret" knowledge walks up to you and says hi, my name is Bob and I've been here the whole time. The level of depth we can see into these things is intrinsically related to how much time we've put into internal work....also yes......PathNotes is AWESOME!!!!!

In addition there is a lot of great advice from actual teachers in this thread, best of luck in your work: http://thetaobums.com/topic/26816-qsonly-teachers-may-answer/

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

You've got your books, a course of study. Too much is too confusing. If you only had one book, 'Pathnotes..' you'd have far more certainty. Just the secret smile and Dr. Deaths Mindscrub (ie counting to 10) is enough for months. Get good at those and you've got a strong foundation.

Glenn was also into shaking and highly recommended yoga's sun salutation. Practice is a marathon, not a sprint. Practice a core group steadily. If you must, flirt with other things, but keep the core going.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 5

You've got your books, a course of study. Too much is too confusing. If you only had one book, 'Pathnotes..' you'd have far more certainty. Just the secret smile and Dr. Deaths Mindscrub (ie counting to 10) is enough for months. Get good at those and you've got a strong foundation.

Glenn was also the shaking and highly recommended yoga's sun salutation. Practice is a marathon, not a sprint. Practice a core group steadily. If you must, flirt with other things, but keep the core going.

Yes. I got over-enthusiastic, which is fine, because now I can look back and take a more balanced approach. I certainly need flexibility in my body and inner strength. So, a core of Yoga and QiGong beckons. I'll still check out trial classes to satiate my curiosity. It is good to suss this out on a forum :)

Breathwork, attain utter and complete stillness, its the balancing factor for all of the active stuff.

Thanks! I've recently begun to develop a deeper relationship with my breathing, and I will take it deeper. It is certainly part of the core skills I aim to hone.

Many practitioners do a combination of Qigong and Martial Arts in there practice....and I think that is a good and balanced approach because internal work helps your progress faster in martial arts (atleast IME).

I would find a system of qigong that resonates with you and do it, I believe I posted a link to a thread in your introductory post regarding various styles. In regards to martial arts.....which one do you enjoy most, which one makes you go cocoo for coco puffs (do that one)? If you like I could do a Tarot reading for you for each style lol!

IMO its probably better to pick one and when you reach a certain level of mastery after many years you can see similarities in styles and thus get creative and play with other styles.. Also If your studying Qigong make sure there is a balance between reading and practice.....if not more practice than reading.....otherwise we become armchair practitioners.....you'll find that as you practice and raise your awareness, your understanding of energy naturally increases and supposedly "secret" knowledge walks up to you and says hi, my name is Bob and I've been here the whole time. The level of depth we can see into these things is intrinsically related to how much time we've put into internal work....also yes......PathNotes is AWESOME!!!!!

In addition there is a lot of great advice from actual teachers in this thread, best of luck in your work: http://thetaobums.com/topic/26816-qsonly-teachers-may-answer/

My 2 cents, Peace

Thanks OldChi! Thing is I'm not finding as many QiGong classes as I can for martial arts (which is why I was looking at the IMAs as they have a qigong aspect to them). I might end up doing SFQ from the videos as I have consistently heard good things about that system and Stillness-Movement (again no local classes)

Sri

Glenn was also into shaking and highly recommended yoga's sun salutation. Practice is a marathon, not a sprint. Practice a core group steadily. If you must, flirt with other things, but keep the core going.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Segal's Law

Edited by Brian
  • Like 4

Yes. I got over-enthusiastic, which is fine, because now I can look back and take a more balanced approach. I certainly need flexibility in my body and inner strength. So, a core of Yoga and QiGong beckons. I'll still check out trial classes to satiate my curiosity. It is good to suss this out on a forum :)

Thanks! I've recently begun to develop a deeper relationship with my breathing, and I will take it deeper. It is certainly part of the core skills I aim to hone.

Thanks OldChi! Thing is I'm not finding as many QiGong classes as I can for martial arts (which is why I was looking at the IMAs as they have a qigong aspect to them). I might end up doing SFQ from the videos as I have consistently heard good things about that system and Stillness-Movement (again no local classes)

Sri

I currently practice Stillness Movement and Gift of the Tao as my primary form of cultivation. Its been a good system for me personally. There is actually a discount workshop happening very soon in Missouri in which you get several of his DVDs for free. It would be quite fortuitous if you could attend: http://thetaobums.com/topic/31395-special-ttbers-only-promotion-stillness-movement-neigong-september-282930/

Best of luck :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Segal's Law

It is also said a the clocks in a clock store eventually all synchronize of their own accord, given enough time...

• Like 2

^ hehe :)

@ OldChi, I did happen upon that thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. Hopefully, I can make it to the next one, or Michael can come over to the NW. You reckon just the DVDs might work?

@ OldChi, I did happen upon that thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. Hopefully, I can make it to the next one, or Michael can come over to the NW. You reckon just the DVDs might work?

An offer: I send you the Gift of the Tao I DVD and you try it for 30 days. At the end of 30 days if you don't feel the system's inherent efficiency of energetics then give the DVD to someone else. If you do and want to continue practicing then pay for the DVD and consider attending our Hilton Head Island Workshop November 9,10,11

I lived in the NW in Seattle at one point in my life.

• Like 4

I practiced Gift of the Tao for a whole year before I went to a workshop. I benefited a great deal from practicing the system during that time.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2

An offer: I send you the Gift of the Tao I DVD and you try it for 30 days. At the end of 30 days if you don't feel the system's inherent efficiency of energetics then give the DVD to someone else. If you do and want to continue practicing then pay for the DVD and consider attending our Hilton Head Island Workshop November 9,10,11

I simply express to you how wise it would be to take Ya Mu up on this offer.

;)

• Like 1

That's very generous of you, Michael. I'll PM you. Thanks!

In regards to martial arts.....which one do you enjoy most, which one makes you go cocoo for coco puffs (do that one)?

Bagua! I went to a Bagua class today and wow, I love it! :wub:

• Like 3

Well a wise man once told me that it can be very difficult to have serve 2 masters-- that is to say practice Martial Arts and Qigong. I should know this as I have practiced Martial Arts for over 35 years and studied several styles - and studied with several world renown Masters - including Professor Wally Jay - known as Bruce Lee's Jujitsu instructor, and for various other reasons Martial Arts Hall of Fame etc,

Qigong has no doiubt added to my ability in Martial Arts - specifically studying with Michael Lomax - Stillness-Movement and the Gift of the Tao series - has given me superb abilities in this area - but it has also awakened other areas for me. The biggest area is that of treating another Human Being (or animal) with compassion and understanding. When we are immersed in this Qigong system we become so calm that others around us become calm. You may think you need Martial Arts - however- the ability to calm another person is much greater than the ability to take them down. In addition, the ability to heal them of their pain -- well martial Arts just can't compare with that.

I only have a few students left that I teach Martial Arts to -- I am not taking any new students - I am trying to get these guys to their goal of a Black Belt in Ryukyu Kempo before I discontinue teaching Martial Arts ( I will have attained a 7th Dan Black Belt) and dedicate my life to assisting Michael at seminar's and teaching Qigong classes in jy hometown as well as running a small Medical Qigong Clinic.

A quick story -- I did a stand in at a seminar -- Big Martial Arts Seminar - They needed a Qigong Master - as there usual guy decided to take some of his students to a MMA fight instead of teaching his part at the seminar. Most of those attending the seminar had been following this "Master" for up to 3 years. However, they weren't feeling any Qi and it was a confusing system -- lot's of moves to learn etc, etc,. So, in walks - Brion - (that's me) I introduced the movements - Gift of the Tao - gave credit to Michael Lomax and to his teacher Master Wang as well as the Lineage - Master Wangs Teachers - then to a crowd of about 50 people and growing I started teaching the moves - within minutes, no seconds, they realized this was the real deal! -- People were swaying, sweating, shaking,smiling! At long last they had found something they could call real! WE did about 35 minutes of Gift of the Tao Movements - I taught maybe 7 moves - because I start over and do the moves again so people can learn them. They were so impressed -- they were not going to let me leave. I then did 3 Medical Qigong Healings - after which I had a crowd lined up -- and it was time for me to leave -- because at that point everyone wanted healed.

So if you want to try Qigong that is simple but POWERFUL -- I would suggest that you make the to attend one of Michael Lomax's seminars. Nothing compares to Stillness-Movement meditation. Then learning the moves is quite easy -- Gift of the Tao 1 - 17 moves -- that is nothing compared to some of the other systems -- especially when you start to realize the oomph in the moves.

You just need to see for yourself.

Thanks,

Brion

aka Kempomaster

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this