Sign in to follow this  
h.uriahr

Hesychasm

I love his videos.

I would've embedded it but am drawing a blank as to how.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only Christian Path Seeker waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :(

Blessings

Edited by h.uriahr
  • Like 1

I have read parts of the Philokalia, it is pretty interesting, I have many other Hesychasm texts too like the Ladder of Divine ascent but I haven't got round to reading it yet. The main emphasis seems to be the Jesus Prayer, I would be interested if you have any experiences with this prayer?

There's an interesting section on this topic in Dr. Glenn Morris' third book "Martial Arts Madness". I guess that you probably already know about the books by Kyriakos Markides, but if not, you'd probably find them very interesting. There was also a really cool episode of "60 Minutes" a year or two ago that visited the monks of Mount Athos. I don't follow a Christian (or theistic for that matter) path, but this seems like one of the more appealing ones.

I love his videos.

I would've embedded it but am drawing a blank as to how.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only Christian Path Seeker waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :(

Blessings

Use the Special BBcode icon (third from left) ...select media and insert url.

• Like 1

I have read parts of the Philokalia, it is pretty interesting, I have many other Hesychasm texts too like the Ladder of Divine ascent but I haven't got round to reading it yet. The main emphasis seems to be the Jesus Prayer, I would be interested if you have any experiences with this prayer?
I use it as part of my practice.Time seems to stop and I feel as though I'm being 'soaked' in Divine Light. I use prayer beads to help focus myself and then I'm 'gone' after that. My heart gets exceptionally warm and lovey too.

There's an interesting section on this topic in Dr. Glenn Morris' third book "Martial Arts Madness". I guess that you probably already know about the books by Kyriakos Markides, but if not, you'd probably find them very interesting. There was also a really cool episode of "60 Minutes" a year or two ago that visited the monks of Mount Athos. I don't follow a Christian (or theistic for that matter) path, but this seems like one of the more appealing ones.
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into the book and the documentary.
  • Like 1

Can you give me just a brief description of Dr. Morris' experience with hesychasm? It's gonna take too long for the book to arrive lol.

Can you give me just a brief description of Dr. Morris' experience with hesychasm? It's gonna take too long for the book to arrive lol.

The title of the chapter (actually a section of a chapter on Chi Sickness) is "Breath Work in Chi Kung and Greek Orthodoxy" and talks about breath patterns, physical posture, Prayer of the Heart, etc. He gives some comparisons with the chakra system.There are some references to additional readings on this subject in the bibliography (Morris always had great annotated bibliographies in his books). I suspect that this part of the book may have been written by (or at least was influenced by) the guy who wrote the forward (also very interesting), Dr. Kevin Menard, who mentions that he is a follower of Greek Orthodoxy .

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this