Sign in to follow this  
hydrogen

Help please, rescue moon lady.

Born of a Legend

Like many Chinese festivals, the Mid-Autumn Festival originated from a legend. This particular festival celebrates the beautiful yet sad story of Chang E, the Moon Lady. Although there are many versions of this legend, the most common one is as follows:

Long, long ago, 10 suns rose in the sky and they scorched all the crops, leaving people in extreme poverty. A hero named Hou Yi shot down nine of the suns, saving the Earth from the destructive heat.

Heavenly Empress Wangmu rewarded him with a vial of elixir that would make a person immortal and allow life in the Heavens.

Hou Yi’s wife, Chang E, was known for her beauty and kind heart. Out of his deep love for her, Hou Yi gave the elixir to Chang E for safe-keeping until they could share it when he returned from hunting.

An evil man, Peng Meng, spied this through the window. Three days later, when Hou Yi left to hunt, Peng broke in with sword in hand, planning to force Chang E into giving him the elixir.

Chang E quickly put the vial to her mouth and swallowed all its contents. As soon as she had swallowed the elixir, she floated off the ground. She dashed out of the window and flew toward the moon.

When Hou Yi returned home that night, he learned from the maidservants what had happened. Tearfully, he looked up into the night sky and called out the name of his beloved wife.

At that moment, the moon became especially clear and bright. Hou Yi saw a shadow of his wife who was looking down at him, also in grief.

Hou Yi set up an altar with incense in the garden. On the altar, he put the sweet cakes and fresh fruits that Chang E enjoyed most. Then, he held a memorial ceremony for his wife in the moon. It was the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar year.

The news that Chang E had turned into a celestial being and was living in the moon spread fast. Many people arranged altars with incense in the moonlight and prayed for the kind-hearted Chang E, the Moon Lady, to look after them.

I like this version of the Change E. I always feel sad about the seperation of Change E and Hou Yi. I want to unite them somehow. I need your help.

There are many talented writers here. I'd appreciate it if you can put your kind heart into writing a follow up story to unite Change E and Hou Yi.

The above is only one version of the moon lady story. In some version, she's a selfish person who wanted immortality for herself. She was bannished to moon for her "crime". In others, Hou Yi was a jerk who's partying with his friends and flirted with other girls. Change E only wanted to visit her parents in the sky. She didn't know that she couldn't come back to earth anymore. She decided to wait for Hou Yi in moon by herself.

You can pick any version to start. The only request I have is a happy ending.

As incentive, I'd like to sponsor a life time subscription to Tao Bum Broad to the winner, two year subscription to the most authentic story, and one year subscription to the most poetic story.

The judging rules is simple:

1. Tao

2. Authentic (people think it's part of the original story).

3. Poetic (The poem are highly respected in China old days)

4. Happy Ending !!!!!!!!! (last not least).

Oct 5, 2013 is the last day for submission.

If you want to use different version of the story, please post the whole story (including link and source for the first portion if you don't want to rewrite that part in your own words.)

I wonder how I can get this writing contest going. How can I let the tao bums to vote?

Edited by hydrogen
  • Like 2

Does sound fun. Do you want them by pm and then publish by voting? What is end date for submission? I don't know if I'll write one, but did get an idea.

"Heavenly Empress Wangmu rewarded him with a vial of elixir that would make a person immortal and allow life in the Heavens.
Hou Yi’s wife, Chang E, was known for her beauty and kind heart. Out of his deep love for her, Hou Yi gave the elixir to Chang E for safe-keeping until they could share it when he returned from hunting.
An evil man, Peng Meng, spied this through the window. Three days later, when Hou Yi left to hunt, Peng broke in with sword in hand, planning to force Chang E into giving him the elixir.
Chang E quickly put the vial to her mouth and swallowed all its contents. As soon as she had swallowed the elixir, she floated off the ground. She dashed out of the window and flew toward the moon.
When Hou Yi returned home that night, he learned from the maidservants what had happened. Tearfully, he looked up into the night sky and called out the name of his beloved wife.
At that moment, the moon became especially clear and bright. Hou Yi saw a shadow of his wife who was looking down at him, also in grief.
Hou Yi set up an altar with incense in the garden. On the altar, he put the sweet cakes and fresh fruits that Chang E enjoyed most. Then, he held a memorial ceremony for his wife in the moon. It was the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar year.
The news that Chang E had turned into a celestial being and was living in the moon spread fast. Many people arranged altars with incense in the moonlight and prayed for the kind-hearted Chang E, the Moon Lady, to look after them."

Hou Yi was desolate, mourning his beloved wife he ate little and hunted no more. The sun in revenge for its 9 brothers took special pleasure in burning him during the day. The weather was cool and soothing during the festival of the 9th moon of the lunar year. Prayers and obeisance were spoken and colorful sweets were left at the ancient well in the middle of the village where seeing the reflected moon was believed to offer great fortune for the coming month. Neighbors came to the desolate hunter's house bringing cakes and singing songs to lure him out. But the house remained dark and he would not come.

Twenty eight days later came the festival of the harvest moon. Clouds covered the heavenly body's ascent and the celebration was subdued. More calls and pleas were sent to Hou Yi's dark house but none came out. No reflection shone in the old well. The celebration which in olden times lasted through morning waned early. By midnight the last villager left, backing into there house, eyes up looking for the moon.

The door to Chang E's house opened. What came out would be recognized as Hou Yi. It was a pale shadow of the man; old, pale and dessicated dressed in dull sack clothe. The figured moved slowly to the village well. At the well's edge it arm moved the colorful moon cakes away to make room for a seat. Sitting he bent forward and looked into the depth. He stared until his braced arm trembled, then his whole body and there was the imminent danger of falling in. Still he looked.

His reward at first was slight. A dim diffused light and that gave him strength. It grew brighter into the full moon; then sweeter into the face of his beloved. As the vision grew closer he felt it must be a dream, had he fallen in and this was death.

The face below spoke "I robbed you of immortality. I am so sorry my husband"

He spoke gently back, "My mourning is not for immortality. It was for the loss of you".

"Kiss me my husband, there may still be a few drops of elixir on my lips".

There lips touched. He felt his old strength return and the sack cloth he wore became longer, fine and colorful. The sleeves expanded to take on the colors of cakes perched upon the village well. And he rose.

Since then on certain nights when the conditions are right you can see Hou Yi's arms like a rainbow, held around the moon. And Chang E allows herself to be diminished a little each day, until she appears like a bow, in honor of her husband. A bow pointing at the sun as an eternal warning, never to hurt her husband or humanity again.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 7

Thank you very much.

You can post your story in this thread. Members can hit the "Like This" button to vote.

If you don't want to publish it in this thread, you can PM to me.

Edited by hydrogen

Pinned this because if the prize is subscriptions, that means it helps the site :)

plus i just like the thread and think it deserves more attention....

• Like 1

I like this version of the Change E. I always feel sad about the seperation of Change E and Hou Yi. I want to unite them somehow. I need your help.

There are many talented writers here. I'd appreciate it if you can put your kind heart into writing a follow up story to unite Change E and Hou Yi.

The above is only one version of the moon lady story. In some version, she's a selfish person who wanted immortality for herself. She was bannished to moon for her "crime". In others, Hou Yi was a jerk who's partying with his friends and flirted with other girls. Change E only wanted to visit her parents in the sky. She didn't know that she couldn't come back to earth anymore. She decided to wait for Hou Yi in moon by herself.

You can pick any version to start. The only request I have is a happy ending.

As incentive, I'd like to sponsor a life time subscription to Tao Bum Broad to the winner, two year subscription to the most authentic story, and one year subscription to the most poetic story.

The judging rules is simple:

1. Tao

2. Authentic (people think it's part of the original story).

3. Poetic (The poem are highly respected in China old days)

4. Happy Ending !!!!!!!!! (last not least).

If you want to use different version of the story, please post the whole story (including link and source for the first portion if you don't want to rewrite that part in your own words.)

I wonder how I can get this writing contest going. How can I let the tao bums to vote?

This seems like a good writing exercise, I very much enjoy creative writing. You can count me in :)

I will do my best, and will send PM when I have finished.

Hou Yi lived on in despair, the turmoil of days past slowly by and by. Like a dove, Hou Yi love for Chang E was unbreakable. Unbearable misery surrounded Hou Yi and his love of life and legend diminished, for it was weak in comparison to that love he still had for his beloved. So close yet so far away, Chang E remained in Hou Yi's every tear. Tears he cried and wept every night, for the sorrow in loss he could not fight. The will of the warrior could not succumb to the power that love had over him.

Hou Yi often dreamt of being reunited with Chang E, and together they were one. In a glade the green blades glimmered with the joyous laughter and humor resonated through the leaves of the trees as the vibrant sky was gifted with vibrant hues as far as the eyes could see. In Hou Yi's dreams he felt alive and free, more alive than he did when he opened his eyes to see the empty and bare lonely room stretching out before him. More often then not he went back to sleep, to be with his one true love in his dreams, milking every precious moment, until he could not sleep due to thirst and hunger, he had to get something to drink and eat.

Hou Yi would sleep for days on end, and slowly began to wither away, until one day, he didn't awake and remained in a dream state. Or so it would appear, here he remains for all to peer:

0.jpg

Chang E whispered into Hou Yi's ear "Wake up, wake up, I miss you dear, I fear the winters just about here!"

Hou Yi awoke when Chang E's tears melted with his into a sphere, the dream that would forever persevere.

YinYangSymbol-300x300.jpg

Edited by Daong
  • Like 3

Born of a Legend

Like many Chinese festivals, the Mid-Autumn Festival originated from a legend. This particular festival celebrates the beautiful yet sad story of Chang E, the Moon Lady. Although there are many versions of this legend, the most common one is as follows:

Long, long ago, 10 suns rose in the sky and they scorched all the crops, leaving people in extreme poverty. A hero named Hou Yi shot down nine of the suns, saving the Earth from the destructive heat.

Heavenly Empress Wangmu rewarded him with a vial of elixir that would make a person immortal and allow life in the Heavens.

The news that Chang E had turned into a celestial being and was living in the moon spread fast. Many people arranged altars with incense in the moonlight and prayed for the kind-hearted Chang E, the Moon Lady, to look after them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years passed with years, Hou Yi aged but his warm heart still young

like the day when beauty Chang E become his smilling moon.

Every year on 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar year many people

come to visit Hou Yi for the ceremony. Each year the head shaking sadness

filled the hearts of the people. Making them one year calling a Buddhist Monk

to help end the suffering of their Hero and Lifesaver.

A shining elder Monk with Elder Kun from the Foreign Way Buddhism

told :"Hou Yi, master of your body (the monks use this to adress other people)

you have to let go of attachment. We may be called followers of Buddhism

but believe that the Buddhas and the Buddha before believe in the Tao

to reach Buddhism. To end your suffering you need to let go of love"

"Oh great monk, I am honored to be hearing the words but I can

let go of love but not the memory. Everytime I look to the moon I see her smile

how can I be unhappy? She is everyday with me only gone on first.

Look at her in the sky those curved lips extend to whole sky with soothing light

greater than the stars." Hou Yi replied with a bow.

"I see, I see. Peace be, Peace be. So why you make the people suffer by

your suffering master of your body?" while bowing with palms in prayer positon

"Great Monk... I havent thought about it......"

"Hou Yi master of your body. In the world everthing is connected by the Dao,

all Buddhas are connected to the Dao, the Buddhas recocnize it so far

that Guan Yin decide to become a Bodhisattva to save the world.

When you suffer or appear to be suffering then other people will

will for you as you remind them of themselves of their beloved ones

who has gone. Everthing is changing but everthing stay the same : Void."

Saying calmly and showing the surrounding with the palms.

"Great Monk Kun, then I do harm to my surrounding!" Hou Yi expressing with selfdoubting

excitement.

"Not necessary. Those who have let go those they love will unaffected.

Gate Gate Parasamgate Boddhisvaha! Become calm as everthing happens

as it should" to calm Hou Yi, he touched the shoulders of Hou Yi.

An incredible flow was going through Hou Yi and he see the memory of shooting

the suns and Chang E becoming the moon.

"Chang E...." Hou Yi gasped.

"Amitofu..... I touched you and I know the reasons of your fate" the monk said.

"Please great monk, lecture me about this matter."

"Listen Hou Yi. The Dao send out the Yang and the Yin.

You commit a shifting of balance by shooting the Suns

which are the symbol and embodiment of Yang.

Because you lessen the Yang in the world.

Yin has to be taken from you in form of an

Immortal Chang E to balance the whole universe.

As outside is an expression of inside"

while saying this the monk move the hand as if holding

a sphere and then putting it into a prayer posture

"Oh wise elder monk, do you allow me to give this

unknowing person an adivice?" while touching his own chest.

"As you see you ... Change E was with you when the

Sun was there..."

"So I need to get back the suns?" hastily Hou Yi interfere.

"All that is done can not be reverted.....outside, but created....inside.

for this you need to build the force of the 9 Suns you had shooted."

the monk stroking his beard ammused.

"How I do this, I dont know any immortal who would teach me?"

Hou Yi tilt his head to the side.

"Immortals are many under heaven and above. Each of them

has come to immortality by guidance from inside despite of the

methods, teachers, time and effort. The vial of elixier

is only the result of the fate of Chang E. Seek guidance from inside

and inside the void which is inside of you. Listen to the voice.

But there is a thing to do before... If you want something too much

you hold it tightly. If something is hold tightly it can not leave to make

space - void- for other things. To gain the 9 Solar Power you need to let go

the equal power of the Moon." the monk saying with a strict face.

"Letting go of the M o o n?" Hou Yi looked with big eyes.

"You heard it right, the Moon is.... Chang E. If you let go of her

you let go of the Yin and so the Yang can amass. I have given

you the transmission nothing else needed, just let go as the

power was already in you" The monk said

with a friendly smile.

"I,,,,, can..... not...express your kind action" Bowing strongly and repeatly

to express is overwhelming gratitude.

"Amitofu. May Buddha be Merciful and grant him understanding of the void."

So the yearly ceremony by Hou Yi stops and people forgot Hou Yi

only remembering Chang E, at time even forgetting her but

awaiting the rice cakes.

Hou Yi each day sat in peace for moments.

Hou Yi now old and dying on his equal old bed looks peaceful

as he know his ends had come.

"You have let go what you hold the most, I grant you the immortality"

The voice comes from inside. All his body turned and he became

young again as in his best years, all scars are gone and his

body shines white of the light coming from inside.

Hou Yi accended to sky where ........a light female hand and a smile

welcome hims........

Confucius said:

"If you love someone, set them free.

If they come back they're yours;

if the don't they never were."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

"Long, long ago, 10 suns rose in the sky and they scorched all the crops, leaving people in extreme poverty. A hero named Hou Yi shot down nine of the suns, saving the Earth from the destructive heat.

When Hou Yi returned home that night, he learned from the maidservants what had happened. Tearfully, he looked up into the night sky and called out the name of his beloved wife. At that moment, the moon became especially clear and bright. Hou Yi saw a shadow of his wife who was looking down at him.

Eventually, word of this reached the ear of Heavenly Empress Wangmu, who was greatly moved by the story. She sent a messanger straight away to summon Hou Yi.

When Hou Yi appeared before her, she expressed her sympathy for his loss. Although she had no more of the elixir, she told Hou Yi the location of the alchemist who created it, a hermit who lived on the side of a mountain. At once, Hou Yi set off, determined to be reunited with Chang E.

After several days of travel, Hou Yi found the alchemist's abode, a small hut far up the side of the mountain. Hou Yi told the alchemist his story. Though the alchemist did not seem moved by the story, upon finishing, he contemplated Hou Yi's situation.

The next day, the alchemist came to Hou Yi. The alchemist told Hou Yi that he would help, but that he needed a rare ingredient necessary for the elixir. He then gave Hou Yi information on the only place where the ingredient could be found, in a remote valley very far away.

Hou Yi made preparations and set out to find the ingredient. Much time passed before he finally reached the valley, though he was unable to find the ingredient the alchemist had described to him. In despair, he turned back to return home.

One evening on his journey back, Hou Yi noticed the moon shining brightly above him. He set up an alter for Chang E as he had before. While praying, a roaring gale arose about him, and he heard the voice of Chang E in the wind. In this way, she revealed the ways of Heaven and how to attain immortal life.

Hou Yi, blessed with this understanding, returned home and began teaching on the ways of Heaven and Earth. Many people heard of this and travelled to hear his teachings. He quickly became celebrated as a great and wise teacher throughout the land.

He spent the remainder of his life spreading his teachings. The people regarded him as one of the great Sages, and he became an adviser to the Heavenly Empress. Even in his old age, many sought him out for his wisdom.

On his final day on Earth, while performing the memorial ceremony for Chang E, Hou Yi realized that his time had come. Looking up to the moon, he smiled as he saw Chang E waiting for him. He rose up off the ground and flew up into the Heavens toward the moon, where he was finally reunited with his wife."

• Like 5

Update information.

I've having trouble with Paypal again. I've sent email to the mod team about paying with credit card or personal cheque two weeks ago. They haven't replied yet.

As soon as they accept my subscription fee, I'll anounce the winner.

Sorry about the delay.

• Like 2

Update:

Current contestants: thelerner, zanshin, Daong, Friend and Unlearner.

My transaction ID for this payment is: 4T466978UT419273E from paypal.

I can only pay for one lifetime subsription. there is no way that I can pay for others. The owner of this board is obviously not interested in taking my money :)

Anyone can help?

Update:

I can only pay for one lifetime subsription. there is no way that I can pay for others. The owner of this board is obviously not interested in taking my money :)

Anyone can help?

I guess that we have never had someone try to purchase more than one lifetime membership before! Have you tried waiting half an hour then retrying? I will email Sean with your transaction number, and if you could please PM me with who gets the lifetime membership, I will set things up :>. Btw, that is extremely generous and kind of you, thank you. A fun thing to have on the board as well.

Actually, it showed you the paypal email that you sent your payment to right? You can just send a payment to the same email specifying what it is for (X number of memberships). However, you of course don't have to, just letting you know how to work paypal :).

Update:

Anyone can help?

???

Oh ...... I thought it was only about putting a nice story

not thinking about winning anything.

Story reveals are part of oneself.

What one believes and what one has seen

and learn about and packed into the story

What I wrote is not only for enjoyment but to reflect on.

All I thought also was about creativity expression of the writers

which I like so far. ;)

• Like 1

So I was thinking he came with a Titan God and smashed into the place to conquer the girl. It sounds forceful, I don't know how you guys would like that story. In my story, she comes with me, wether she likes it or not. I know what is good for her and what is not, and I am good for her. I am the best she will ever get. So I can decide for her what she wants and what she doesn't want.

Don't worry, I will take her to fancy restaurants, enjoy my pizza, get lapdances as she starves on fcking salades. Then I will smack her face and tell her she has become too fat and is a humiliation to the family. Then I will give her a foot massage and a hand massage and I will hug her and hold her untill she is done crying. I will tell her I will allways be there for her, no matter what. And she will allways be my wife. My queen. The woman of my life. The one and only one. Even though I just made twenty girls pregnant, she still buys that crap... I'm sorry this is just too depressing to write down. It's time to read my Superwoman comic books and jack off to what will probably allways remain but a mere fantasy. How sad... Ah well, That's life. Get used to it, or be used by it. Just do whatever the fck you want, I guess that's our purpose in the first place. We exist to do whatever the fck we wanna do. And just randomly do stuff like we're test dummies. We just pop out of a vegina and randomly bump into stuff. And then more people jump out of vegina's. How odd... Why don't there ever come zombies out of vegina's? We're so safe, it almost creeps me out... I feel like a vile evil is lurking behind these veils of safe appearances! I'm telling you, it's evil, I'm telling you! Run for your endurance! Go and jog on that jogging machine. Jog for 5 kilometers untill you're just completely freaking lost and don't know where you are anymore!

Edited by Everything

On the 29th day, when the moons full radiance had wained to darkness, Chang E's shadow was freed. Guided and sustained by the incense and offerings, the moon lady did indeed tend to the needs of the people and answer their heartfelt prayers.

Then Chang E would join Hou Yi in his dreams, where they would share moments of immortality, before dawn's morning light chased away the night.

Edited by Mal Stainkey
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this