MooNiNite

Shoes without rubber soles? (grounding)

don't need to explain why shoes with rubber soles can be harmful for cultivation..so im looking for soles that can ground a person with the earth..

yeah i tried google..From my search its either super fancy dress shoes, or some dude made these "grounders" flip flops (http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/David-Wolfe-s-Grounders-p/flipflop.htm)

Curious to see if anyone has gone a step further

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

flip flops that connects to earth energetics.

ya, be a trendy, step-ahead taoist, and go buy a pair for yourself.

bet they cost the earth too.

yea the dudes flip-flops "grounders" have rubber soles, but the key is that he puts a grounding insert in the sole of the flip flops at a special acupuncture point, basically where the major chakra is.

basically at this point, i'm thinking of just cutting holes into my shoes and putting his "special inserts" into the soles.

might not work out so well but i have a couple spare shoes to test on

ya, be a trendy, step-ahead taoist, and go buy a pair for yourself.

its more than just being trendy. grounding is very important for me, especially because i am fire in nature

Edited by MooNiNite

We don't wear shoes in the house. I've found if I take my shoes off at a local beach they've always been there when I return. I've heard onyx is very grounding. I've always thought that mental consideration of grounding is equal to the physical.

Why is grounding so important to cultivation....???
Grounding is only good for electrical work to prevent electrical shock or static discharge, no....???

yea the dudes flip-flops "grounders" have rubber soles, but the key is that he puts a grounding insert in the sole of the flip flops at a special acupuncture point, basically where the major chakra is.

basically at this point, i'm thinking of just cutting holes into my shoes and putting his "special inserts" into the soles.

might not work out so well but i have a couple spare shoes to test on

its more than just being trendy. grounding is very important for me, especially because i am fire in nature

In that case, why don't you were a wire strap on your wrist like people do in the clean room for electronic works.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Hmmm...

Perhaps there is an electrical or electromagnetic component to cultivation???

:P

I frequently practice my qigong outside & barefoot and, when wearing rubber-soled shoes or boots for other practical reasons, I touch earth, rocks and trees frequently.

A person typically develops about a 100v potential difference, BTW. (Yes, I have measured it.)

As an aside

A long time ago I met a french professor at the foot (no pun intended) of the Parthenon.

He was barefoot.

He told me about snakes and shoes.

The Indians did not have problems with snakes as they wore leather moccasins -

the snakes would feel the Indians coming through vibration and move away.

When one wears rubber soled shoes it insulates - no vibrations felt - the snake is surprised

and she bites you.

Sounds good, however I have no idea whether this is true as I haven't experimented with this.

• Like 1

And since our bodies are not perfect insulators (being composed of various dielectric materials), they have non-zero permittivites. Non-zero magnetic permeabilities, too -- for that matter, but that's a different conversation...

Correct, CD?

Edited for correctness (I typed conductors instead of insulators...)

Edited by Brian

And since our bodies are not perfect insulators conductor (being composed of various dielectric materials), they have non-zero permittivites. Non-zero magnetic permeabilities, too -- for that matter, but that's a different conversation...

Correct, CD?

Edited for correctness (I typed conductors instead of insulators...)

I would say it depends on the clothes with the made material. However, our bodies are good conductors until we were burned to carbon to increase the resistance and act like a resistor. Then, the bodies are no longer a good condector.

FYI You can make the correction right at the spot yourself.

There are the cotton soled martial arts shoes. There are also many shoes with leather soles. I personally find shoes very annoying and only wear them when going out somewhere. I don't enjoy martial arts practice half as much with shoes on.

Here's a funny story (extremely heavily paraphrased due to not remembering it very clearly) that my grandteacher tells in his vids.... when he was younger and hadn't uhm worked on refining the ego as much (he says something along these lines) he went to study with some great well known teacher. He of course wore his cotton bottom shoes. This teacher was wearing regular sneakers. He was rather surprised and was apparently noticeably looking at this guys shoes. So the teacher made a comment along the lines of "oh you are one of those". So he went on to say if you are living in a house with electricity, plumbing and etc. then the shoes aren't going to make a great deal of difference. I'm not retelling this very well, but you get the idea.

I'm definitely not saying that avoiding rubber or shoe preference is silly, I'm just showing his opinion.

I'm assuming you also mean plastic and various manmade materials though? Since finding real rubber these days is extremely difficult due to the dying out of rubber trees :(. I personally don't like plastic anything on me when I practice. It's just a personal thing and doesn't work well for me, so I fully understand other people having preferences as well ;).

• Like 1

There are the cotton soled martial arts shoes. There are also many shoes with leather soles. I personally find shoes very annoying and only wear them when going out somewhere. I don't enjoy martial arts practice half as much with shoes on.

i think i'm gonna try some of those cotton soled shoes. they only like 10$ thank you!

• Like 1

some of these That will really conduct to ground.

http://www.theoriginalcopperheeler.com/. Hmm- solder a wire and stick it through the shoe to contact with Earth?

Also saw some copper soled socks on amazon.

Or just touch Earth often.

Hmmm...

Perhaps there is an electrical or electromagnetic component to cultivation???

:P

I frequently practice my qigong outside & barefoot and, when wearing rubber-soled shoes or boots for other practical reasons, I touch earth, rocks and trees frequently.

A person typically develops about a 100v potential difference, BTW. (Yes, I have measured it.)

• Like 1

Probably not so good for say hiking though, and they don't last long walking around on concrete... but hey for $10 per pair you can grab a box full ;).

I would say it depends on the clothes with the made material. However, our bodies are good conductors until we were burned to carbon to increase the resistance and act like a resistor. Then, the bodies are no longer a good condector.

FYI You can make the correction right at the spot yourself.

Ummm...

Got an ohmmeter? Don't take my word for anything -- measure your own resistance from one hand to the other and tell us what you find. Then measure the distance between your outstretched arms. Divide the resistance you measured by the length to get ohms/unit-length and compare that to published numbers for a variety of materials to get a feel for what kind of conductor the body is...

Then Google "permittivity" and learn what my post was really about.

What about being barefoot inside a house. On ground floor and 1'st floor(or 2nd floor) of a double storey hpuse.

Brian:

Got an ohmmeter? Don't take my word for anything -- measure your own resistance from one hand to the other and tell us what you find. Then measure the distance between your outstretched arms. Divide the resistance you measured by the length to get ohms/unit-length and compare that to published numbers for a variety of materials to get a feel for what kind of conductor the body is...

Then Google "permittivity" and learn what my post was really about.

You know, my engineer teacher used to making jokes about the physicists when discussing some theories. That was why I've sensed you as one. You are a dead give away...... :P

What about being barefoot inside a house. On ground floor and 1'st floor(or 2nd floor) of a double storey hpuse.

What kind of material is used for the floor....???

Edited by ChiDragon

I like you, ChiDragon -- I enjoy your sense of humor and I like reading your posts on interpretations of ancient texts especially. I worry, though, that some reader might take your demonstrably nonsensical or oversimplified statements as fact and make important decisions based on them. That is why I have been pointing out corrections; in part in hopes that you might learn from your mistakes but mainly so that others will recognize that your grasp of these topics is sophomoric.

Yes, the idealized model in which one pretends to be dealing with constant voltages, constant currents and stable resistors (for instance) is a very valuable one, and is an excellent first approximation from which many perfectly functional designs can be built. In the same way, the approximation that friction is independent of surface area or the convenient fallacy of centrifugal force can be useful, too. (Just for fun, though, go to a drag-strip and explain to the racers how they should be using the skinniest tires they can because tire size has no effect on traction -- I mean, FN, right?)

Early in my career, I was working in a manufacturing environment and I became the guy the designers and engineers turned to when things weren't working according to plan, or when lives might be at stake, or when there was simply no room for trial-and-error. In most cases, the problems or oversights came in the form of oversimplifications or misapplications of rules-of-thumb found in engineering textbooks, and were quickly corrected by returning to first principles to walk back through the logic. In only one case did an engineer fail to recognize his mistake and thank me for my help; he proceeded to "crash" a $1.2M milling machine because he didn't understand Newtonian mechanics, and the company lost that contract because it was unable to meet the deadline.

Failure to grasp underlying concepts sufficiently to apply them makes one a crank-turner, regardless of the discipline in question.

Here's a funny story (extremely heavily paraphrased due to not remembering it very clearly) that my grandteacher tells in his vids.... when he was younger and hadn't uhm worked on refining the ego as much (he says something along these lines) he went to study with some great well known teacher. He of course wore his cotton bottom shoes. This teacher was wearing regular sneakers. He was rather surprised and was apparently noticeably looking at this guys shoes. So the teacher made a comment along the lines of "oh you are one of those". So he went on to say if you are living in a house with electricity, plumbing and etc. then the shoes aren't going to make a great deal of difference. I'm not retelling this very well, but you get the idea.

Is your grandteacher Jerry Alan Johnson? I've heard him tell that story. I often recall it when people start preaching energetic fundamentalism.

• Like 1

I like you, ChiDragon -- I enjoy your sense of humor and I like reading your posts on interpretations of ancient texts especially. I worry, though, that some reader might take your demonstrably nonsensical or oversimplified statements as fact and make important decisions based on them. That is why I have been pointing out corrections; in part in hopes that you might learn from your mistakes but mainly so that others will recognize that your grasp of these topics is sophomoric.

Yes, the idealized model in which one pretends to be dealing with constant voltages, constant currents and stable resistors (for instance) is a very valuable one, and is an excellent first approximation from which many perfectly functional designs can be built. In the same way, the approximation that friction is independent of surface area or the convenient fallacy of centrifugal force can be useful, too. (Just for fun, though, go to a drag-strip and explain to the racers how they should be using the skinniest tires they can because tire size has no effect on traction -- I mean, FN, right?)

Early in my career, I was working in a manufacturing environment and I became the guy the designers and engineers turned to when things weren't working according to plan, or when lives might be at stake, or when there was simply no room for trial-and-error. In most cases, the problems or oversights came in the form of oversimplifications or misapplications of rules-of-thumb found in engineering textbooks, and were quickly corrected by returning to first principles to walk back through the logic. In only one case did an engineer fail to recognize his mistake and thank me for my help; he proceeded to "crash" a $1.2M milling machine because he didn't understand Newtonian mechanics, and the company lost that contract because it was unable to meet the deadline.

Failure to grasp underlying concepts sufficiently to apply them makes one a crank-turner, regardless of the discipline in question.

Thank you for your compliment and slapped me in the back of my head at the same time.... :)

First of all, I wouldn't insult somebody's intelligence. I was only trying to be demystify. I'd worked with many engineers, most of them were as you have described but it was not what they had learned. It was the incorrectness of application or lack of experiences and their care free attitude like "I'll let somebody else take care of it."

Since you have cited some of your experiences, I'll do the same. It would be more appropriate to use the "grounding" example here. As you know, there are two types of electrical signal grounding in electronics. They are a "single point" and "differential" groundings. We have a problem with noise in a piece of test equipment. We have the chief engineer, system engineer and the design engineer looking at the problem. I mean just looking at it but not looking into the problem. Since you are an electronic engineer, I let you figure this one out and tell me where the noise problem came from.

Edited by ChiDragon

Given the delightfully detailed case you have presented here ("We have a problem with noise in a piece of test equipment" -- seriously?), I guess one of three things:

1. Floating ground or inadequate shielding, allowing environmental radiation to enter the circuit via induction (a ground loop from differential grounding generally introduces a voltage offset but usually isn't considered "noise")
  2. Inadequate capacitive-inductive filtering to strip out all frequencies but intended signal (high-pass, low-pass or band-pass, depending on signal & environment)
  3. Test equipment was designed by someone who thought idealized rules of thumb work in the real world...

:)

There's other things that oughta be considered, like is there a huge inductive motor in the next room that turns on & off periodically, for instance? I've seen that. Once had an issue with a scanning-tunneling electron microscope on the floor above me, too. Once had a case where the building's line voltage was carrying radio-frequency signal because of poorly grounded RF glue-drier in the neighboring building, wreaking havoc with all sorts of equipment (especially those that believed their power supplies would produce a constant voltage...) A failing op-amp can become an oscillator, for that matter. Given the data you have provided, though, I suppose I'll go with guess 3, above.

Don't bother providing more details, though, because I have no interest in playing the "wrong, guess again" game with you. I know I asked you on several occasions to try something or research something and tell me what you found but my intent was always to get you to find out for yourself that you were mistaken on some pretty basic concepts. You always have some reason why you don't need to actually do the homework because you already know the answer.

;)

Don't bother providing more details, though, because I have no interest in playing the "wrong, guess again" game with you.

;)

Okay....!!! I rest my case. Though, it was an unfinished business. It was no fun talking to someone with an evasive character.