Seph

Meditation Class Dilemma

I have recently joined a local meditation 'group' or session(s).

It's held/taught by a E-RYT (Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher). (Yes, yes, I know. Not all meditation(s) are the same. It's just that outside of specific religious based local meditation practices, there's little else available here. And I figure practicing within some sort of group of peers with some sort of instructor is better than functioning totally on one's own. Which is what I've been doing for over the past year+ ).

Here's my issue.

I normally practice meditation in the early mornings for about 25-30 minute every sitting.

I normally use a seiza bench. (Sitting cross-legged, tailor-style, Burmese, half-lotus, full-lotus, or regular sitting on a chair, I usually and eventually slouch or my legs fall asleep or I fall asleep). None of these happen with the seiza bench. It simply works best for me.

Now, I'm not a big fan of group meditation, and I believe there's a difference between group meditation and teaching a group to meditation (on their own).

The instructor has said I can bring my seiza bench (I have a portable one) if I prefer.

This group practices sitting on chairs. Everyone within this group (it's about 14 people) are easily 50+ of age, with meditation experience ranging from having never done it before and up.

I really don't want to attract (or distract) attention from this group. (Not to mention using the seiza bench would probably not be good of some of these people's knees. I don't want my personal practice to necessarily set an example).

I'm not opposed to simply sitting in a chair, although it's not optimal for me.

What should I do?

It's a meditation group where everyone is internally (or wuji) focusing, not a "a thinking with the monkey mind hey look at what he is sitting on" group ;). As long as you aren't making noise, doesn't matter I figure.

PS I can't stand chairs.

• Like 1

I love chairs ... its ok to sit on them to meditate as well ... but I agree take your own thing if you prefer it. But don't be a furniturist like BKA and Seph (they are just trying to be cool but they're not :))

• Like 2

Yeah they might become aware of it at first but it wouldn't keep the mind from being quiet(ed), even if someone uses it as an excuse as to why they are not at peace.

It could be a distraction for you however, but likely just in the same capacity that it would be for them.. ie., potential scapegoat for non-clarity..

furniturist like BKA and Seph (they are just trying to be cool but they're not :))

HEY! I'm cool!!

;)

• Like 1

Maybe but you live in a house with no furniture don't you.

:))

...no, actually, I have lots of furniture!

:))

...no, actually, I have lots of furniture!

Is it zen minimalist? or traditional hand made kind of thing?

Chairs are for when people come over to visit ;). When we meditate or do ritual though it is downstairs and we all sit on the floor. Hey there are puzzle mats down. The chairs I do like are the big comfy ones you can sit cross legged on.

• Like 1

Is it zen minimalist? or traditional hand made kind of thing?

...ahhh... neither.

Your typical run-of-the-mill kinda furniture.

I'm kinda boring.

What should I do?

Heck, I'd say take your seize bench! :) Unless the purpose of your meditation is discomfort or conformity, that is...

I sit in a chair at stillness-movement workshops even though nearly everyone else is on the floor and I sit on a big blue yoga ball at work even though nearly everyone else is sitting on chairs. Yes, I occasionally get an odd look and I've had to explain my yoga ball a few times but these things attract less attention than when people see me practicing my neigong!

Edited by A Seeker
  • Like 1

...ahhh... neither.

Your typical run-of-the-mill kinda furniture.

I'm kinda boring.

Ikea?

Due to back injuried, before I started up Bagua, I could not sit in a chair for more than five minutes without pain level 8. I'm not sure if I had any reservations about alternate seating to everyone else in qigong classes, but believe me any I may have had did not last more than a few seconds lol.

Your discomfort prompts me to think that this may be an excellent opportunity for you to gently "sit" with your concerns. See why you feel discomfort in allowing your own, natural nature to arise when around around this group.

From my experience in group settings, I recall feeling and noting small to medium discomforts too. Exploring your reactions may be helpful in deepening your practice. (I also did qigong with some elderly folks.)

P.S. I prefer sitting in seiza. Though a chair is a good second choice. And I encourage you to not concern yourself with how cool you may appear to anyone. Ultimately, a feeling of internal "settledness" is more beneficial to you than how you click (or don't click) with a group. :)

Best to you --

Thank you.

(I was only joking earlier about looking 'cool'), but to be honest I think, if anything, I would look just the opposite.

(Maybe this is something you need to actually see to get, but here goes anyway), the circle of chairs (sitting c. 14 people in total), runs in a circle approximately 12-15 feet round. To sit on a seiza bench within this circle puts your head at about the height of everyone else's abdomen (and especially the people on either side on you. You're only maybe a 1/2 foot away) seems somewhat awkward or silly. --- or maybe it's just me that's feeling awkward or silly...

I think I will take your advice and reflect on my discomforts.

Ikea?

Seriously?

I have two double leather recliner couches (read in "Laz-boy") sitting in front of my 52" plasma TV screen with surround sound, X-box to play my and my son's games on and a Wii to watch my Netflix on.

My library has a paisley upholstered loveseat from Pier One Imports (paid WAY too much for) and two individual leather seats with ottomans.

Every one of these pieces of furniture to sit on will eventually lull you off to sleep.

That LAST thing I need when I sit for meditation is sleep.

:)

Thank you.

(I was only joking earlier about looking 'cool'), but to be honest I think, if anything, I would look just the opposite.

(Maybe this is something you need to actually see to get, but here goes anyway), the circle of chairs (sitting c. 14 people in total), runs in a circle approximately 12-15 feet round. To sit on a seiza bench within this circle puts your head at about the height of everyone else's abdomen (and especially the people on either side on you. You're only maybe a 1/2 foot away) seems somewhat awkward or silly. --- or maybe it's just me that's feeling awkward or silly...

I think I will take your advice and reflect on my discomforts.

Seriously?

I have two double leather recliner couches (read in "Laz-boy") sitting in front of my 52" plasma TV screen with surround sound, X-box to play my and my son's games on and a Wii to watch my Netflix on.

My library has a paisley upholstered loveseat from Pier One Imports (paid WAY too much for) and two individual leather seats with ottomans.

Every one of these pieces of furniture to sit on will eventually lull you off to sleep.

That LAST thing I need when I sit for meditation is sleep.

:)

52" plasma screen! Wow you are cool after all :)

Your library sounds luxurious ... I am now deeply jealous ...

By the way ... if you meditate on a chair ... make it a hard chair and sit right on the edge with your legs bent so your knees are above your feet. Push your tummy slightly forward and tilt your chin in slightly, relax shoulders ... its an ok position I find.

Good luck with your meditation and hope you get great benefit however you sit.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 3

52" plasma screen! Wow you are cool after all :)

Your library sounds luxurious ... I am now deeply jealous ...

lol

By the way ... if you meditate on a chair ... make it a hard chair and sit right on the edge with your legs bent so your knees are above your feet. Push your tummy slightly forward and tilt your chin in slightly, relax shoulders ... its an ok position I find.

Good luck with your meditation and hope you get great benefit however you sit.

Thank you.

i don't even have a portable tv at home. booboo... :(

I have a TV for watching DVDs on but no arial so I don't get several channels of b/s ... I have a bookcase not a library ... I sit on chairs when they are not falling to pieces (as some are) :)

I wouldn't put my head at the navel level of old people; really bad qi. Sit in a chair just like everyone else during that meditation class. When at home, do the seiza.

• Like 3

I wouldn't put my head at the navel level of old people; really bad qi. Sit in a chair just like everyone else during that meditation class. When at home, do the seiza.

Brilliant!