Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Power of 'Please keep this thread on track' message in post

Some OP's start with a message like 'This is meant to be a serious discussion. Please no hijacking, off subject or humorous comments Please.'

This may be a good device for certain people. I'd hate to see it everywhere or over used.

Any other suggestion for better wording? If its not abused and there's a fair amount of respectful buy in, this may solve some problems.

Good example from the Turtle Shell:

"This thread is solely about helping people gain an understanding of the terminology in the book Taoist Yoga, by Charles Luk.

Please do not take the thread off topic, with debate
."

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

At least personally, that was only a kind request; an intention set for the thread. Celestial wanted a thread about understanding Taoist Yoga, which wasn't cluttered with off topic stuff...so I made that one.

If people are respectful of the members and topic involved, they will follow such a request...if not, there's nothing I can do about it.

I didn't report anyone.

I had no idea you made one like that turtle shell, and I can fully see why people do, and thank you for not sending in 10 reports ;).

I do sort of wish that the specific topic areas would stay on topic only, but seems so very difficult. At least the mods can split topics when it derails too badly.

• Like 1

At least personally, that was only a kind request; an intention set for the thread. Celestial wanted a thread about understanding Taoist Yoga, which wasn't cluttered with off topic stuff...so I made that one.

If people are respectful of the members and topic involved, they will follow such a request...if not, there's nothing I can do about it.

I didn't report anyone.

Whoops, my bad. I didn't mean to imply you reported anyone. I used it as an example of a polite, well worded OP add on to keep the thread on subject.

this could be an example of <editing> gone wrong. Instead of adding a 2nd message saying 'Here's a good example, I added it to my first. So it looks like Bagua's message referred my last sentence instead of globally.

I'm doing the same thing now. Somebody stop me before I edit again !

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Apologies if my reply confused anyone (keep in mind it was from when I was sleeping in an airport overnight ok lolol). I was just sort of ranting on the general pattern of multiple reports in a row just from someone going off topic on a thread.

• Like 1

Apologies if my reply confused anyone (keep in mind it was from when I was sleeping in an airport overnight ok lolol). I was just sort of ranting on the general pattern of multiple reports in a row just from someone going off topic on a thread.

Really, where'd you go? I can ask that because there is no starting Keep this on track message on my Keep things on track thread. Thus it can hijacked by those who don't know better.

Sign in to follow this