liminal_luke

Long-term kunlun practitioners?

Kunlun hit taobums by storm, but that was a few years ago. Now we don´t hear too much (much to the relief of many, I´m sure). I´ve practiced on and off and gotten considerable benefit mostly on an emotional level--calmer, less anxious, etc. It´s been a gratifying but less than mystical journey. No out-of-body experiences, spirit beings, not even the odd reptile to spice things up.

Anyway, I´m at a stage of beginning the practice in earnest again, and miss the old kunlun forum. I miss the sense of a kunlun community of people sharing their experiences. I think it´s useful, inspiring, to hear about other´s people´s practice.

So...any long-term kunlun practitioneers care to weigh in? Anybody quietly doing kunlun (or yi gong) all these years? How has your practice evolved? Anybody do kunlun for awhile and then quit? If so, why?

(I always think it´s kind of pointless when original posters attempt to control the direction of their thread. People mostly say what they want to say regardless, and that´s probably for the best. Still, I hope this thread doesn´t devolve into another debate as to the basic merit of the Kunlun approach, especially if not informed by actual practice.)

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

i do it sometimes whenever i notice my legs wanting to bounce on their own, but other than that i quit practicing regularly because of head pressure issues. Other than that i really liked it and it was my favorite system so far. As far as special abilities, the traveling hands worked for me the one time i tried with it and through this practice i gained the ability to go extremely unnoticed/invisible to anyone who is not specificly looking for me

• Like 2

i gained the ability to go extremely unnoticed/invisible to anyone who is not specificly looking for me

Certain members of this board should practice this. :P

Send me that book fool! :) or give it back to joeblast so he can send it to me.

Edited by Celestial

As far as special abilities, the traveling hands worked for me the one time i tried with it

What is the traveling hands phenomena?

Thanks

Gosh, looks like I´m not going to get lots of testimonials from long-term Kunlun practitioners. One possibility, of course, is that they don´t exist. Another is that the practice itself has molded them into very self-contained people disinclined to comment on their practice publicly unless they see a very good reason for doing so. I´m disappointed of course as I hoped to hear from them. Then again, perhaps their reticence to engage with this question is a sign of the wisdom that comes with practice. Perhaps their very silence is saying...¨you yourself will know the fruits of your own practice if you put out the effort to do it, you must answer your own question.¨ And perhaps that´s for the best.

Edited by liminal_luke

I tried it long term.

Kunlun weakens after awhile. IMO.

The original power diminshes with long term usage.IMO

It did leave me more magnetic than I originally was, but I balanced it myself by tweaking it with some other techniques I invented.

I mixed it up with magick after awhile, because, as I said, it became boring and lackluster after after a few months. IMO

It's a Triangle of Art's -best friend- for those "in the know"

In a Magickal group setting consisting of more than a couple of dozen, Kunlun can be utilized in conjunction with "other techniques" that will alter the results dramatically and become something else.

Colourful Magicks ;)

(EDIT- had to remove a couple of things)

I am beginning to think Kunlun was "created" for exactly THIS purpose.

Wonder if Max knows?

Then again, how can he not?

Edited by SonOfTheGods

I dont experience Kunlun as 'weakening' after a while and have never heard of this idea before: How can a practice 'weaken'.

How can 'it' become boring and lacklustre?

The bouncing around, torso swaying totally disappeared, and the effects itself was almost zero after a few months. Was like doing nothing at all IMO

Of course, just because the bouncing stopped, is not the gauge itself for less results. I just wasn't feeling anything after awhile.

I dont experience Kunlun as 'weakening' after a while and have never heard of this idea before: How can a practice 'weaken'.

How can 'it' become boring and lacklustre?

It is to ask how this weakening is expirienced to understand this.

A practise is changing and evolve, never expect it is the same.

• Like 1

The bouncing around, torso swaying totally disappeared, and the effects itself was almost zero after a few months. Was like doing nothing at all IMO

Of course, just because the bouncing stopped, is not the gauge itself for less results. I just wasn't feeling anything after awhile.

It is a good sign that you have.

You need to go to your teacher to get an upgrade in your development.

• Like 2

I found a teacher that I resonated with quite a bit, and made the sensible decision not to mix practices.

Whatever provides spiritual progress and good results for you is good, and along the same lines as alchemy.

I'm glad to have learned Kunlun...it's enriched me...and may practice again at a later time.

• Like 1

I say this just for consideration, as a former student who is unqualified to talk:

External movement and feeling things are not what you should look for in the Kunlun method. I was taught to favor stillness of body and mind, to focus on the one breath during practice...as well as to hold one high intention, such as becoming capable of healing others (for instance) or attaining gold dragon body, so that you can finally be capable of truly helping other people. Compassion for others being an important aspect of any real attainment. This intention gives the energy a purpose, rather than the energy becoming scattered due to an aimless mind looking for low results, such as physical sensations of internal changes, or bouncing around, and then that negative result affecting the body mind and spirit of the practitioner.

Basically, it's good to just keep going and keep trying to do your best, if Kunlun is your path. Part of that would involve learning directly from authorized people as well as the main teacher...and really listening to, understanding, and obeying instructions. Or just do your own thing and learn from that.

• Like 4

I was around in the Kunlun thread days. There were a lot of well balanced and informative people who posted. I don't know if any of them are active posters, so I don't know if you'll get responses to big names.

As far as the practice weakens, I don't think that's as accurate.

Rather, when you first start a letting go/releasing practice, you obviously have a lot to release. A lot of releases means a lot of "stuff" going on, so you think you're "doing something."

But I think if that tapers off that means you have less and less to release. You hold on to less. The releases you do have are gentler and more balanced. Which I think is a good sign and a sign of progression and development.

I'd say, if you feels like your practice isn't "doing anything," then you should keep doing that practice!

I'd bet if you did stop that practice for a few years, did something else, or didn't do any practice at all, and came back to it, you'd probably find your practice is "doing something" again.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 2

I've been incorportating modified Kunlun into my practice.

Due to my shoulder blockage, I haven't been using the hand mudra taught in Kunlun. I just use Tai Ji hand. I don't know if I can say I practice Kunlun.

In sitting meditaion, I start with Kunlun for about 15 minutes. I don't know how to go deep with it.

I've been incorportating modified Kunlun into my practice.

Due to my shoulder blockage, I haven't been using the hand mudra taught in Kunlun. I just use Tai Ji hand. I don't know if I can say I practice Kunlun.

In sitting meditaion, I start with Kunlun for about 15 minutes. I don't know how to go deep with it.

I can only give a general advice.

The beginning move is to introduce the movements.

Actually when one take once the introduction one do let go.

It is not the purpose to maintain the posture

it is the energy that decide what is to be done next.

If one let go and it stay in that posture than it is because

it is so. If one let go an all hangs down, this also part of it.

If one take another posture then it is also so.

If it is the same form but look different it is also.

The rule is to maintain the body in a posture

where the body needs least force to maintain a posture

but having access and least resistance to change.

This is how Yi Gong/Kunlun does by sitting in the specific posture

with raised heels and sitting at the edge of a chair to have the legs

less resistance to move making it different to methods who sit

with feet flat on a chair, crosslegged on floor, standing.

If one has calmed the movements one meditate in that posture

or what result after the initiation.

In the calmed state one may seek something like a gymnastikball

or something soft and sponge not too hard.

It is to give more movement for the hip.

But it is not recommend for people with

strong movements, else one may fall off the chair or the worry

may decrease the movements that happen.

Actually if you have refined the exercise. The saturation time

will decrease so it result into short movementset and the rest of

time one sit and just meditate.

Generally one has

things tense to tense

things relax to relax

things move to move

things keep stil to keep still

The fault idea in this art is that one relax only which means one do not

allow the tension that must happen. Some part has to tense more

than it is tensed - to remove the tension.

If you had problems with the posture

it was better to seek a method where the movements

are ask for movments - and not posture

ask for a movement.

• Like 4

Interesting what Turtle Shell said about holding a high intention. This is what one can do for any meditation or energy practice, and also what can be instilled in one's life's activities. That mindset resembles the stage of intensified practice, when one has insight on the path and just continues to mine that vein, as it becomes clear that high intentions are synonymous with knowing the Tao. For feeling stuff, its always been there, but clearly the cruder gives way to more subtle eventually, so feeling less is perhaps better. The real strong alchemy takes place from K2, which I don't do very often, but just doing K1 is not the miracle practice of short-short path. Its simply another practice thats fairly undemanding, which nevertheless should be done 45 mins or more to really get the energies flowing.

• Like 1

Due to my shoulder blockage, I haven't been using the hand mudra taught in Kunlun

i had issues with this too, but i just did a little of the hand and arm posture each time until it became a non issue. like 1-2 minutes or so to get the bouncing going and then after a couple weeks i can do it almost the whole session

• Like 1

after a while it seems anything done for that long (1 hour as it says in the book) will have effects, however the main thing that turned me off was to have a chunk of my day (3 hours) not eating or drinking ( 1 hour before and after expletive on no eating or drinking rule). How do you guys manage that?

Generally one has

things tense to tense

things relax to relax

things move to move

things keep stil to keep still

Thanks for the comments. It's nice to have someone else confirm my hacking approach to Kunlun :)

In my understanding, it's not the speed but the acceleration, the change rate in speed, that generate more Qi.

The time from 0 to 60 mph is more relevant than the top speed. Of corse, a higher top speed can help you in the acceleration phase longer.

after a while it seems anything done for that long (1 hour as it says in the book) will have effects, however the main thing that turned me off was to have a chunk of my day (3 hours) not eating or drinking ( 1 hour before and after expletive on no eating or drinking rule). How do you guys manage that?

I never take the drinking rule seriously. I drink when I thirsty.

I don't eat before the meditation. During and after I eat whenever I feel hungry, not heavy thing, just fruit, nuts, ice cream bar, donuts, pizza.

Edited by hydrogen
  • Like 1

the main thing that turned me off was to have a chunk of my day (3 hours) not eating or drinking ( 1 hour before and after expletive on no eating or drinking rule). How do you guys manage that?

i don't really like it either, but i find that it only matters for me 1 hour before, and however long afterwards the high energy feeling lasts. i normally start eating light food by the 30-45 minute mark and sometimes i have a sip of water immediately afterwards just because my body needs it. Eating something sugary (my choice was fresh orange juice) combines with the kunlun energy and i get really hyper and ungrounded

• Like 1

Cat, I know I made a pretty bold statement, and thanks for calling me on this. I think the term "high intention" is very attractive to use, because it already assumes a kind of success in bridging to higher energies. Conventionally speaking, "high intention" could be confused with adhering to "proscribed morality" from a religious text, or even just a "positive intention." My friend even would probably argue that all intentions are equal since they are ego based. But if we say "high intention" that bridges to higher energy, most people can at least notice some kind of shift in their mood as proof of success, and if they are meditators they might be able to acheive some kind of indication of progress. I suppose it would vary from person to person, if they experience some dramatic shift or not.

For example, intent of generosity and charity, if you maintain the intent in your heart-body (not in just the head) is a high intention. If someone tinkers around with maintaining this intent for some period of time, they will be able to with varying degrees of success bridge to the higher energies (perhaps its that source energy has the attribute of generosity/charity and is merely responding to you by flowing into your being)

Another example is the Boddhisattva vow. Most people think of it as some kind of story where instead of flying up to blissland, you hang around and help beings. But if you contemplate it and reduce it to the barest intent, intent to all others to acheive spiritual illumination, as a singular directing of your heart-body-mind then you can add it to any meditation or activity and it will supercharge the result. Perhaps this is the highest or most powerful of intents and the reason why the Mahayana people make sure that its stuck in everywhere in their recitations. Yet the real power comes from isolating and maintaining that positive intent for a duration. What are you doing here? Hoping with your heart that all the others get nirvana cake? Or putting your heart mind on the same frequency as one that assumes one-ness of all beings and spiritual uplifting of the totality? (the second choice)

I guess its pretty rare to hear of intent based meditation, or specific, really slimmed down intents added to meditations, but I've been at it for a while so thats why I highlighted turtleshell's comment. There's a small number of high intents, including the 3 mentioned already, and other things which are less explicitly an intent, like "trust" or "love" but could feel similar in the body, engaging the heart and somehow bridging energy that the body translates to increased qi circulation and often blissful feelings.

Edited by de_paradise
  • Like 3

Just like to echo the thoughts on holding a high intention. I find that with Kunlun in particular the practice really responds to my intention. It´s very practical and obvious. When I hold a high intention the energy changes. This is one of those things that isn´t really spelled out, in my experience anyway, but makes a huge, huge difference.

• Like 3