Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

What do you think of upcoming technical inventions that will immerse consumers heavily into Virtual Reality?

Such as the upcoming Oculus Rift, cyber-esque goggles that have newest technology in them to completely immerse the consumer in it.

The chosen title has a kinda bad aftertaste for me, creating a rift by using the senses of our eyes. A rift for what? A rift for an artificial reality "ontop" of this reality we live here. I say this because I know how immersed one can get by simply sitting infront of a screen, with enough reality around it. But will that be all or what potentially could let this rift in into the human system? I have no complete knowlege about it yet.

Dont take this lightly like products from the last years stating that this is or will be the next VR (virtual reality) thing. No, Oculus Rift has already criques that it messes around with the sense of gravity the brain allows us to feel. For example: Using the OR-device for more than a certain amount of time recommended by the developers lead to falling-over feeling when taking it off.

You remember when you were spinning into one direction and your kinestetic consciousness that lets you sit "perfectly" in your body gets flung into one direction and you feel you fall and then actually fell, even tho there was no gravitational pulling from the outside, rather all coming from inside you? Similar to it.

When testers put on the device they immediatelly felt that they were drawn backwards, something was drawing their head backwards like it and you was falling back. This then somehow stabilized itself until the above mentioned next phaenomenon appeared when taking it off.

The immersion factor itself is apparently so complete like nothing there was before. Shockingly complete as some people mentioned.

The field of application is stated to be broad: From threatment to gaming. Everything inbetween one could think of. But it will definitelly go live and available for consumers somewhere 2014/15.

Any ideas or thoughts how this could affect people? Affect the planet? And most importantly affect consciousness in general?

I am aware that no technical creation will ever go live and hit masses of human consciousness by some higher form allowing it. So I do not want to create any form of end-game scenario, which would be just exaggerated (like with everything before).

Curious, feel free to let us know what you think :)

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

OR is not out yet and it's already old news. What I think is even cooler is augmented reality like with google glass.

aaaaaaaaah why is this stuff not out, yet

The field of application is stated to be broad: From threatment to gaming. Everything inbetween one could think of. But it will definitelly go live and available for consumers somewhere 2014/15.

HAHAHA. I remember watching tv documentaries in the mid 1990s and they were talking about how virtual reality was going to become a popular technology by the year 2000.

That's right. By the year 2000 we will all be using VR technology on a daily basis. I can't wait for the year 2000....

Oh wait...It's already 2013?

I think that people have over-eager and irrational expectations of technology. They think that technology is going to solve all of the world's woes, especially at the moment of the Singularity, which is supposed to be achieved in the year 2045.

The Singularity cult was popularized by Ray Kurzweil, who fancies himself to be an expert at predicting future technologies. (Of course, he's wrong about everything, but we're supposed to politely ignore all of his misses.)

All in all, technology is not going to be our messiah, any more than Jesus was.

:)

Lately I am finding it difficult to be around electronic devices, they seem to really bother my body...I can only imagine being plugged into a head of wires and the effect it would have on my body, quite bothersome.

My 2 cents, Peace

Lately I am finding it difficult to be around electronic devices, they seem to really bother my body...I can only imagine being plugged into a head of wires and the effect it would have on my body, quite bothersome.

My 2 cents, Peace

I am experiencing this as well. It had become a distraction during most all practices.

These days, when not actively using something, I cut the supply of electricity off.

That said, some of it is mind-blowingly awesome.

Most of it, while engaging, is just distraction.

Better a quiet hut, then an xyzbox.

Most of it, while engaging, is just distraction.

Better a quiet hut, then an xyzbox.

Absolutely.

Sometimes though, I can engage fully in falsehood, only to more fully appreciate Truth.

• Like 1

OR is not out yet and it's already old news. What I think is even cooler is augmented reality like with google glass.

aaaaaaaaah why is this stuff not out, yet

Yes but how does this immerse oneself in such a full way like the OR where the external world is literally completely shut off? Google glass is an application for this reality, not to "basicly flee" into another, completely artificial dimension like games with the OR.

I think that people have over-eager and irrational expectations of technology. They think that technology is going to solve all of the world's woes, especially at the moment of the Singularity, which is supposed to be achieved in the year 2045.

The Singularity cult was popularized by Ray Kurzweil, who fancies himself to be an expert at predicting future technologies. (Of course, he's wrong about everything, but we're supposed to politely ignore all of his misses.)

All in all, technology is not going to be our messiah, any more than Jesus was.

:)

Like said, try to get this thing on your head and then speak about the immersion. I will surely try it out, just to see how it is. I didnt join the iPhone bandwagon and so I will with everything else.

The funny part will come when some technical parts will be a requirement to be able to live in this society, speaking of gouvernment law.

My 2 cents, Peace

I have felt this in a similar fashion when I last had my 3monthly "bracket" of meditation this early spring. "Going back" to computer, internet and also gaming felt initially like an... energetical intrusion, yes I feel that's the right term. Like mostly everything is based on what we call third chakra. So much activity radiating from this part, when you have abstained yourself from it.

I am experiencing this as well. It had become a distraction during most all practices.

These days, when not actively using something, I cut the supply of electricity off.

This is exactly why I have posted that I am literally unable to combine both meditation and a livestyle while working or being longer times infront of the computer. Something for me still inexplicable does not work together with both of these things. The one has such a wholesome spectrum of literally everything and the other, internet and computer, feel like not being somewhat completely different, no, they feel like they are part of it aswell, but an extreme an unnatural part. And that is gathering information like we do over the internet and with the computer in general... maybe substracted from spirit? I dont know

Sign in to follow this