Sign in to follow this  
voidisyinyang

Best Solar-powered Generator? Sunshinesimple generator

http://www.sunshinesimple.com/

So $1500 bucks -- I wonder how long the power lasts on this thing?

It's not clear.

If you plug in all the sockets - how long would it last fully charged?

How long does it take to charge it -- for how much sunlight needed?

Anyway still an awesome idea - we lose power here at least once a year and then the neighbors kick in their super noise generator.

The utility company recently drove up asking about the neighbors having an extra power line into their garage - I think it's for that generator....

Anyway busted.

O.K. so I know there's a few solar experts on this forum so it would be great if you could answer those questions - the specs are on the website....

1800 watts with a 120-watt folding solar panel
and 70 AMP HOUR Battery!
(That means you can run a LOT of stuff to stay comfy, like me.)

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

Buyer beware!

A 120W solar panel will give you 120W during peak output hours, about four hours per day, during a full sun day. It would be less than 120W during the daylight hours before and after peak output and zero after sunset until sunrise.

So you operate one - 100 W light bulb and 20 watts charges the battery during peak hours. Before and after peek your light bulb dims and your battery is drained.

Buyer beware!

A 120W solar panel will give you 120W during peak output hours, about four hours per day, during a full sun day. It would be less than 120W during the daylight hours before and after peak output and zero after sunset until sunrise.

So you operate one - 100 W light bulb and 20 watts charges the battery during peak hours. Before and after peek your light bulb dims and your battery is drained.

hmmm - so you could do a compact florescent -- 15W -- and say a computer or a t.v...... so you say only 4 hours....

How long does it take to charge the battery? I guess it all depends on the sun....

yeah pretty pricey for just a few devices a few hours.....

hmmm - so you could do a compact florescent -- 15W -- and say a computer or a t.v...... so you say only 4 hours....

How long does it take to charge the battery? I guess it all depends on the sun....

yeah pretty pricey for just a few devices a few hours.....

Yes, pricey. Nothing wrong with the concept.

Basically you have:

Solar panel

Storage battery

Power inverter

The three bought separately could justifiably be priced at $200 each. That equals $600. Include "value added" of another $200.

Fair price: $800, not $1500

BTW Based on what I saw in the video the battery is some type of lead based (because of its apparent weight) so the unit would not be easily transportable. If the battery were litium it would reduce the unit's weight and actually become back-pack transportable.

Just think, silent 110VAC at your camp site miles into the wilderness!

• Like 1

BTW Based on what I saw in the video the battery is some type of lead based (because of its apparent weight) so the unit would not be easily transportable. If the battery were litium it would reduce the unit's weight and actually become back-pack transportable.

Just think, silent 110VAC at your camp site miles into the wilderness!

Convert that to DC and my rv could stay off grid for quite a while! I'm looking into a solar setup. Just need to get the rest of the thing put back together first.

Convert that to DC and my rv could stay off grid for quite a while! I'm looking into a solar setup. Just need to get the rest of the thing put back together first.

Yes, solar is great for RVs. Also good for boats. When you get ready to buy your panels be sure to shop around - the prices are coming down but not everyone is doing the down-pricing.

Your RV likely operates off 12VDC, at least as a base voltage. The greatest variance in dimensions and outputs can be found at the 12VDC level.

Just a little bit ago I talked with a friend of mine who got a good deal on panels that had their own 220VAC inverters wired into the panels. It took him a while but he finally came up with the best possible usage for them.

Yep, 12V DC. It's a tiny RV, and just has a converter, no inverter.

Thanks! When its time, I'll shop around. I have a friend who started a solar installation business, so I'll probably just "hire" him.

• Like 1

Wow! Only $3,997?!? I gotta' go get one right now!!!

(Just a little bit over-priced, I think. By about $3,000!)

Low cost Panels/Batteries/Inverters are great for things like trickle charging a single or pair of 12v batteries; low-amp devices like aa battery chargers, usb devices, etc. But when it comes to real home power, look at $13K minimum to really power a few things and don't even think about air conditioning or a clothes dryer. An large array of panels, a large array of batteries and multiple large inverters is what this would take.

A side note; the panels with built-in mini inverters are made for direct powering a grid tie system - not for battery storage systems. There is a way to trick them and do a hybrid system but it is not practical and not for the technically challenged.

• Like 3

I just purchased these for my RV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400320440364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230868014011?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

With a deep discharge battery it should top off at around $400.00. I'll probably need more batteries, and maybe another panel, but I can always add those on.

You done good.

Before you buy your battery do some research on AGM batteries. Yes, they are more expensive. But compare the cost/benefits.

• Like 1

Several utilities, including Arizona Public Service and Denver-based Xcel Energy, have asked their state regulators to reduce incentives or impose charges on customers who install rooftop solar; so far, at least, they aren’t making much headway. A bill in the California legislature, backed by the utility interests would add $120 a year in fees to rooftop solar customers.

But other utility companies are adopting a different strategy – they are joining forces with solar interests. NRG Energy, based in Princeton, N.J., has created a rooftop solar unit to sell systems to businesses and,

A video posted by advocacy group Arizona Solar Facts attacks rooftop solar startups.

eventually, homeowners. New Jersey’s PSE&G is making loans to solar customers, and Duke Energy and Edison International have invested in Clean Power Finance, a San Francisco-based firm that has raised half a billion dollars to finance solar projects.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/with_rooftop_solar_on_rise_us_utilities_are_striking_back/2687/

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

You done good.

Before you buy your battery do some research on AGM batteries. Yes, they are more expensive. But compare the cost/benefits.

Thank you for that. It looks like a better investment in the long run.

• Like 1

http://www.sunshinesimple.com/

So $1500 bucks -- I wonder how long the power lasts on this thing?

It's not clear.

13" TV using 38 watts, 16 hours

From the Sunshine simple site:

Desktop Computer using 200 watts, 2.8 hours

8.8 Cubic Foot Freezer using 80 watts, 7.5 hours (place on timer or switch to extend)

18 Foot Refrigerator using 120 watts, 3.8 hours (place on timer or switch to extend)

Sump Pump at 1/2 HP using 300 watts, 2 hours

Microwave using 1000 watts, 19 minutes

Edited by thelerner

Sign in to follow this