SriChi

Starting out with Chi

Greetings,

My name is Srinath. Interestingly, I have never used it in real life, so I thought might as well pour some chi into it here.

I have dabbled with metaphysics for the past 6 years, have had some transformational experiences and have an ever-growing personal library on all things discovery

I have not traditionally been drawn to any of the Chinese esoteric tradition. Well, that is changing now. :)

I have recently developed an interest in Yoga, QiGong and Internal Martial Arts, and this site has given me some useful pointers regarding QiGong from what I have read so far.

I would welcome recommendations from the kind folk here on about some basic books to start out with QiGong, dealing with both the esoteric theory as well as the practice. My presetn starting point is the Zhan Zhuang system and the book Way of Energy, which seems pretty straightforward, albeit a little too light on theory for my noggin.

I would love pointers from you guys.

Cheers,

Srinath

• Like 1

Hi Srinath and welcome to the Tao Bums.

The way of Energy is a good starting point to standing practice but you may want to take a look at the follow up http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chi-Kung-Lam-Kam-Chuen/dp/0736044809/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377672581&sr=1-5 which takes things up to another level. You will find references in plenty to Zhan Zhuang in the forums.

Best wishes,

Chang

• Like 1

Namaste and thank you, OldChi.

Just as info for others who might stumble upon this thread in the future.

I have picked up:

The Complete Guide to Chi Kung by Daniel Reid for theory, history and terminology to help me understand Chi Kung at a more intellectual level.

The Way of Energy by Lam Kam-Chuen as my starting practice set to understand (really understand? ;)) by experiencing this.

I've also found a group that does the Eight Silken Brocades whom I'll join next Wednesday.

Regards,

Sri

Namaste and thank you, OldChi.

Just as info for others who might stumble upon this thread in the future.

I have picked up:

The Complete Guide to Chi Kung by Daniel Reid for theory, history and terminology to help me understand Chi Kung at a more intellectual level.

The Way of Energy by Lam Kam-Chuen as my starting practice set to understand (really understand? ;)) by experiencing this.

I've also found a group that does the Eight Silken Brocades whom I'll join next Wednesday.

Regards,

Sri

Lol, its funny.....when I first started out I got those exact same books. There both good stuff, I wish you great bounties of Chi in your practice. Welcome to TTB. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Welcome to The Tao Bums Srinath! Hope you enjoy the forum! :)

Not sure exactly what your goals are but if you are interested in heath, healing, wellness, etc. Spring Forest Qigong is excellent system! Chunyi Lin (the founder) has a youtube channel with lots of videos containing some of the basic exercises and knowledge of the system.

Edited by KenBrace
  • Like 1

Hey Ken,

Thanks! I was looking for SFQ in Portland actually, they don't have any teachers here. I'm going to all the QiGong I can find here and feeling it out.

My goals are health and longevity, spirituality and healing myself and others.

Sri

I think Zhan Zhang isn't flashy but gives good bang for hours spent. Along with The Way of Energy, I liked the book (read it many many years ago) Warriors of Stillness, about a Tai Chi practitioner who panicked when his master got the Zhan Zhang bug.

• Like 1

I have not traditionally been drawn to any of the Chinese esoteric tradition. Well, that is changing now. :)

Hello!

I know what you mean hehe...I started with the Chinese stuff and now delving into the Egyptian/Hermetic...so perhaps the other way round.

Welcome. I too must learn more about the chi side of things!

Hello!

I know what you mean hehe...I started with the Chinese stuff and now delving into the Egyptian/Hermetic...so perhaps the other way round.

Welcome. I too must learn more about the chi side of things!

Haha, that's a whole another deal. I started reading the Kybalion, didn't really delve too deep there. And also, I recently picked up an Egyptian primer (not really sure if it is the best out there as I just picked this book up in a festival at a whim after connecting with Spikenard essential oil :P). Right now, it just serves as a bookend for my other books on the shelf :)

Chi practice is fun so far. I also started Shaking! (Ratu Bagus style)

I think Zhan Zhang isn't flashy but gives good bang for hours spent. Along with The Way of Energy, I liked the book (read it many many years ago) Warriors of Stillness, about a Tai Chi practitioner who panicked when his master got the Zhan Zhang bug.

Interesting, I love reading. Will put this on my wishlist :)

Sri