Maha Sattvaya,

Maha Karunikaya,

Tadyata, Om Dara Dara,

Diri Diri, Duru Duru

Itte We, Itte Chale Chale,

Purachale Purachale,

Kusume Kusuma Wa Re,

Ili Milli, Chiti Jvalam, Apanaye Shoha.

Homage to the Three Jewels, Homage to the Ocean of that Superior, Exalted Transcendental Wisdom, The Appointed King, Vairocana, The Tathagata, the Arhat, the Pure and Complete Buddha, Homage to All the Tathagatas, the Arhats, the Pure and Complete Buddhas, Homage to the Supreme Avalokiteshvara, the Bodhisattva, the Great Being, that Great Compassion, Thus, Om, Apprehending the Deity of Sound, Apprehending the Deity of Form, Apprehending the Deity of Sign, and the Surrounding Entourage.

• Like 3

I have been reciting this mantra since my teens, it's one of my favourite mantras :)

I have this book; The Dharani Sutra by Wilson Yong and it's packed with many practical stuff including the 42 hands as expounded by the Bodhisattva Lord Avalokitesvara taught in detail and many other practical cool ways to use this mantra.

http://www.taoistsecret.com/dharanisutrabk.html

Not going to break copyright by sharing the whole book but I'll share some stuff which you can try out and have fun with like making some tools for protection and other specific practical methods.

2am now in UK so off to bed but I'll be back :)

Edited by White Wolf
  • Like 1

I recite this also. There are three versions. Notice the references to Vishnu and Shiva at the end of the long versions. Curious. ;)

Haha that's why I don't understand how people can say that Buddhism is atheistic.

Because Vishnu and Shiva have previous lives, will die off and become reborn.

"Even such mighty beings as Brahma, Indra, Ishvara and Vishnu, great sages, and Narayana are not exempt from death" - A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom

Getting a bit off topic and not wanting to start another, here are two more nice mantra videos.

Gayatri Mantra

OM

BHUR BHUVA SVAHA

TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM

BHARGO DEVASYA DHEEMAHI

DHI YO YONAH PRACHODAYAT.

"We meditate on the effulgent glory of the divine Light; may he inspire our understanding."

Homage to Krishna

Hare krishna

Krishna krishna

Jai jai

Hare rama rama rama

Jai jai

Jai jai ram om krishna hare

• Like 1

Haha that's why I don't understand how people can say that Buddhism is atheistic. Although, there would be a semantic argument on what atheism is and how Buddhism is/is not atheistic. Step inside the Buddhdharma and you see that all types of beings exist. No I do not want a conversation what things exist or not. I have not investigated that through samadhi. I can only read the sutras and investigate the dharmas in there.

The word atheistic is thrown around too much wrt Buddhism. I think a better word would be non-theistic, because afaik, the Buddha never addressed the issue to begin with. He refused to answer because pondering it was an obstacle to enlightenment. It was only later exegeses and people's agendas that started slapping labels on Buddhism that really are not supported by any scriptures.

Eta: this refers to a creator God or supreme God. Buddhism is fairly crawling with deities, regardless of their status.

Edited by Jainarayan

Buddhist "deities" are merely sentient beings in the wheel of rebirth.

Even the Buddhas have previous lives.

And of course, no deity or Buddha is a Creator.

Edited by alwayson

The word atheistic is thrown around too much wrt Buddhism. I think a better word would be non-theistic, because afaik, the Buddha never addressed the issue to begin with. He refused to answer because pondering it was an obstacle to enlightenment. It was only later exegeses and people's agendas that started slapping labels on Buddhism that really are not supported by any scriptures.

Eta: this refers to a creator God or supreme God. Buddhism is fairly crawling with deities, regardless of their status.

Buddha definitely addressed the issue of a Creator god. Research Mahabrahma.