Sign in to follow this  
alleswasderfallist

Tibetan Tai Chi

It's propaganda. It might as well be called Mysterious taichi or whatever. They're students of William Reeders, a Dutch-Indonesian Kuntao teacher (like Willem De Thouars and others), who taught a combo of different Chinese styles, from the Indonesian chinese communities. Some of these styles incorporate Silat, others incorporate a lot of new stuff (ie. from the 30's and 40's) due to the diaspora of Chinese fleeing the civil war, Panaese, the Long March, whatnot, and ended up bringing in influences of Taiji, Xingyi and Bagua. Garuda simply means Eagle in Indonesian, and is one of a number of animals that show up in the Silat forms.

I've frequently told my martial arts teacher, who created a few forms that combine the various internal forms and Northern fists, that he will never be famous until he quits calling them "forms I made up to help my students learn this stuff", and starts calling them, "secret forms that were passed on in hidden monasteries in Tibet, and then were carried by Immortal practitioners through the Communist dominated country, to a secret cave in Mt Wudang where they were trasmitted to me"!

• Like 1

I've frequently told my martial arts teacher, who created a few forms that combine the various internal forms and Northern fists, that he will never be famous until he quits calling them "forms I made up to help my students learn this stuff", and starts calling them, "secret forms that were passed on in hidden monasteries in Tibet, and then were carried by Immortal practitioners through the Communist dominated country, to a secret cave in Mt Wudang where they were trasmitted to me"!

So true, but then he would be trading his integrity for notoriety and my guess is that you would look less favorably on him as a teacher! It's nice to hear that your teacher is an honest guy - you're fortunate.

Well, I've frequently told him that tongue-in-cheek, of course! We sometimes sit and have a bottle of wine, and talk of all the money we could make if only we were capable of lying and cheating... :-)

Sign in to follow this