Sign in to follow this  
SecretGrotto

Burning tongue tip touching roof during energy work

When touching the tip of my tongue to the roof of my mouth and doing energy work there is a notable burning sensation that increases in intensity felt on the tip of my tongue.

I understand that during meditation one should put the tongue tip against the soft pallet and lightly touch the teeth together. The soft palate is toward the back of the mouth, so there is definite stretch in the bottom of the tongue. I do feel that my jaws tend to tense up due to the teeth having to touch, which has the purpose (I believe) of bringing the tongue further up toward the back of the mouth, and that in itself the teeth touching doesn't really do anything metaphysically speaking.

I understand that touching the tongue to the mouth roof closes the energy circuit of the body and allows for complete energy circulation, but is it always good to keep the tongue in that position?

I am a beginner at meditation, and I think I can start feeling my jing moving as heat flashes across the skin, especially the skin of my torso and especially around the lower dan tien area. My tongue has always burned when touching the top palate, after some minutes in meditation, even after severe and constant jing depletion. The funny thing is that usually after jing depletion my dream life becomes notably more vivid.

What instructions are you following?

The standard tongue placement would be just behind the front upper teeth, no need to put any strain reaching back to the soft palate.

It should be done gently also, better energy flow.

• Like 3

What instructions are you following?

The standard tongue placement would be just behind the front upper teeth, no need to put any strain reaching back to the soft palate.

It should be done gently also, better energy flow.

Bump.

I may have the wrong impression, I have misunderstood things that I have read.

From Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu: "...and the tongue is on the soft palate and behind the front teeth, body is still."

I am almost certain that I read the teeth should be touching, but I cannot divine the source at this moment.

So I got confused since I thought, and in my mouth at least, the roof is hard in front of the mouth (behind the teeth) and substantially softer further back in the mouth. That impression, together with the eventual attainment and natural inclination of kechari mudra, and the fact that I have a burning sensation in the back rather than the front of the mouth roof, made me believe that it is better to place the tongue further back in the mouth.

So it seems like you are saying that the tongue should just lightly touch the place just behind the teeth (with the tongue touching the teeth?), and the teeth should touch or not touch?

Thank you.

you touch the HARD palate, not the soft palate. The hard palate is right behind the teeth. It is very easy and does not require any strain at all. Just curve it upwards very slightly.

oralcavityimg1.jpg

also I am curious about this statement:

The funny thing is that usually after jing depletion my dream life becomes notably more vivid.

in this thread http://thetaobums.com/topic/22912-semen-retention-100-days-and-my-experiences/page-2 it says

The sign that one has made some gain in transformation of Jing over a period of time, is generally one will stop to have dream activity.

I have been experiencing flutuations in dream intensity over time, sometimes it seems like I don't dream at all but other times I am having vivid dreams all night long. I don't do any practices though, and I certainly enjoy dreaming more than not dreaming.

Edited by mike 134

I may have the wrong impression, I have misunderstood things that I have read.

From Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu: "...and the tongue is on the soft palate and behind the front teeth, body is still."

I am almost certain that I read the teeth should be touching, but I cannot divine the source at this moment.

So I got confused since I thought, and in my mouth at least, the roof is hard in front of the mouth (behind the teeth) and substantially softer further back in the mouth. That impression, together with the eventual attainment and natural inclination of kechari mudra, and the fact that I have a burning sensation in the back rather than the front of the mouth roof, made me believe that it is better to place the tongue further back in the mouth.

So it seems like you are saying that the tongue should just lightly touch the place just behind the teeth (with the tongue touching the teeth?), and the teeth should touch or not touch?

Thank you.

Yeah the teeth can lightly touch, for me it strengthens the connection between ren and du, as does the tongue position.

But personally i just use the tongue position without teeth touching as it's more relaxed on the jaw this way. You don't want to be tensing the jaw as it can block your energy in the head/neck.

I'm pretty sure for Ling Bao the tongue would be in this position more near the front, but you can check with some of the people who have learnt from Master Wang Liping, from the top of my head Taomeow has.

The tongue doesn't need to touch the teeth, i have been advised to just start close to the teeth and slowly move back and feel where the connection is strongest - either way it still works even if it's not 100% in the right place. For me its about half a centimeter behind the teeth.

This will make things a lot easier; here I was thinking "more pain, more gain." Certainly, from the testimonials of Wang Liping's intensives it seems that the endurance of pain is the order of the day. Thanks Ish, Mike, OldChi.

I'm under the impression that practicing the extreme tongue position at the back of the mouth will make future achievement of kechari mudra much easier. I definitely do feel a tense constriction in the jaw doing this extreme tongue position, so I was wondering how students move past this stage, but I had the tongue position all wrong it seems.

So what do you guys think the reason is for the acute burning of the tongue tip in the back of the mouth during meditation? I doubt that it is qi, or even jing, because it seems to happen consistently independent of assumed jing levels, and my qi is relatively undeveloped.

Pain Is not necessary to make progress. Just relax, then relax more. The Way is natural and unhurried.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

also I am curious about this statement:

in this thread http://thetaobums.com/topic/22912-semen-retention-100-days-and-my-experiences/page-2 it says

I have been experiencing flutuations in dream intensity over time, sometimes it seems like I don't dream at all but other times I am having vivid dreams all night long. I don't do any practices though, and I certainly enjoy dreaming more than not dreaming.

Yeah this is sort of counter intuitive, one would expect energy work and development to produce a richer dreamlife.

Sign in to follow this