Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

How to create a lifestyle including a possible income that supports a Meditative Livestyle?

Personally,

I live in an environment that is on the country side but you really feel the affect of the economy on the people, when they get home from the cities. Generally I do not like the unwholesome energies of the city. What being that awakens would like it?

In any case I want to make myself independant of my family-environment: Move out, that is. I have worked once, a couple of years before in my apprenticeship in a major city but was completely shocked by the condition of the people and most importantly how everyone was treating themselves in a very arrogant way. This left an energetic imprint in / on my being to never repeat or extend said experience.

Not to be disrespectful to anyone here in this forum who reads this and lives in a city - this is not ment to be personal, I simply have the ability to choose in which environment I want to live and work in. Just like you. And I feel I need a hand on this one. Also since moving-out is always a "special thing" for everyone, I believe.

But what environment other than our inner environment supports a meditative lifestyle? A lifestyle that has many hours of quietness and is most importantly not focused on the accumilation of money, but at the same time participates in other forms of trade ... energy-exchange that is much more wholesome and does not exclude one from society, such as a monastery.

Was anyone here in the same or a similar situation and found a solution for him- or herself? Maybe work in an environment with spas, health resorts - a spa town?

I simply want to learn from my environment energetically, want to be uplifted by it and ultimatelly want to increase this already existing possitive atmosphere even further, by my own work.

Any idea?

I am looking forward to all the constructive things you have in mind :)

Namaste and be well.

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

i used to live in arcata california, it is where i started all this stuff and has a huge ancient forest so it might be a good place for you

• Like 1

I am very interested in this topic as well. Maybe some sort of humanitarian mission or something along those lines? Maybe a job where you are in service to something or someone? Maybe animal shelter or something? I have thought of this myself quite a bit.

My father is an engineer and they recently did some kind of medical survey and ti turned out that %60 of the entire firm were on some kind of anti-depresant. That was a real shocker to everyone. The pursuit of money really kiils people inside, the overworking and constant stress really breaks people.

• Like 1

Teeth and mosquitos!

OP I understand your post, and I would also like to have an answer to your question, because I've been wanting to be able to focus a lot of time on my meditation for a long time, whilst not having to become a homeless man or embarrass my family.

A homeless man said that he loves living in nature and eating out of dumpsters, and that he has figured everything out from laundry in the river, to using dirt for both a deodorant and to wipe his butt with after, but that he still needs to figure out teeth and mosquito's.

I know, e.g. from the autobiography of swami ramdas, that sadhu's lose most teeth in the end, and so I project that a life without money would result in some serious dental issues. Other than that I would've considered becoming homeless if all other options were exhausted, but then I'd embarrass my siblings and parents and place a moral burden on their shoulders, because they'd feel like they would have to pay my medical bills if something were to happen to me. And if it is a chronic condition that requires life long care then it'd be a real bummer.

• Like 1

??? If you have the money you can live however you like. So make as much money as you can when you work, and then do whatever you want in your free time. Work to live, don't live to work.

• Like 2

What about something to do with national parks, forestry, and so forth?

Something up in the mountains, perhaps - maybe even a ski resort or hiking guide.

I have a friend whose son moved to Alaska, got his pilot's license, and works as a guide.

Lot's of possibilities out there.

Until then, don't be discouraged - just practice.

I have a demanding and stressful job, family obligations, live in a populated area...

Not easy to find time for formal practice so I do what I can and try to make everything I do an opportunity for practice.

Over time, it is surprising how much one can bring meditative practice into one's busy, daily life.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Generally speaking, there are plenty of opportunities available to get into the sort of environment mentioned in the OP.

One of the best ways is to get into a work exchange program in some retreat centre (usually lasts from 6 months to a year, but could be indefinite if one has an exemplary skill set or craftsmanship).

I did the above for 18 months in a Tibetan buddhist retreat centre. I had initially wanted to do only 6 months, but the opportunity to extend the stay was available, and i accepted it. They had a hostel on site, and one of my duties was to look after that. It was a most interesting experience -- lots of hard work when its busy, but i also got a lot of alone time where i would spend in a splendid meditation hall/shrine room overlooking the ocean. It was marvelous.

Being a chef, it was also part of my responsibility to assist in the kitchen whenever there was a retreat, and also, sometimes would be seconded to cook for visiting teachers in their cottage. Lots of perks whenever i get called to do this as it meant getting to have private chats, teachings, and also it was a very eye-opening experience to engage with them in their space.

For all of the above, i got a free bed, free meals, and also received a token wage. It was pittance, but enough to subsist on. Dont expect to get rich.

I would suggest going on a bit of a fact-finding mission if this is what interests you. Websites of retreat centres would usually say if they are looking for people to work and practice there.

If you are planning to look at Europe, Try Plum Village, Lerab Ling, Samye Ling, Jampa Ling, Findhorn Foundation, Dzogchen Beara, and Sunyata Retreat Centre. Afaik, these centres accept 'volunteers' from time to time.

Afraid thats all the help i could give at this point.

• Like 4

Most youth hostels around the world have volunteer positions :).

It is likely that over the years of living how you wish to live that opportunities will open themselves up to you. We don't tend to stay the same or stay in stasis, so I assume you will always be looking around for new and beneficial ways to enrich your life. I have found that when one is following their heart that the path tends to open up for you in the ways you need it to. Of course on the way there are often extremely difficult times (bumps along the way) but in the end it is worth it.

• Like 3

You don't really need to do anything special to practice meditation and self cultivation. Even within a city you can usually find a quieter area to live if you look around. When you have a steady job it gives you the freedom to be able to do things which you may not otherwise be able to do if you always have very limited funds. There is already a lot of potential even with one to three hours a day or so of daily meditation or other cultivation practices. A respected meditation teacher of mine insists that there is no reason that we can not both cultivate and live a normal life in society, with the one caveat being one has to maintain moderation. No matter where we go or what we do in this world there are always distractions and challenges of one sort or another. There is just no way of getting around that. Choose something that works for you.

• Like 3

The first steps in adjusting to a medative lifestyle is to become content with little. Become needless and try not to concern yourself with where your food comes from. Next, stop worrying about yourself image. Stop cutting your hair and shaving and dont be self conscious about it. If there is a certain look or trend you identify with, stop adjusting your appearence and thinking to that image. Wear whatever clothes are available and think nothing of it. All the while, reduce your identity, don't require actions to validate, reenforce, or project an image that you wish to identify with. If you identify with a sports team, a political party, or a religion, cease to do so immediately. If you identify with a role, as a an artist, a this or a that, a drunk or a saint, or a profession, reject everything you know about those things and remove its influence from your being. Let go of any trace of an ideology.

Give your activities over to something you can feel good about and are of service to humanity. Plant a garden and distribute the food.

• Like 1

At first I want to thank all of you for participating in this thread and sharing information about your willingness to also change your lifestyle in this way or about the changes you have already made. Great!

i used to live in arcata california, it is where i started all this stuff and has a huge ancient forest so it might be a good place for you

I am quiet content with the large woods I have in my surrounding area, tho everything is managed. And you feel this when you go into the woods. Most of the time I spent time in the woods I hear tree felling works or huntsmen shooting around. It's not really pleasant.

I am very interested in this topic as well. Maybe some sort of humanitarian mission or something along those lines? Maybe a job where you are in service to something or someone? Maybe animal shelter or something? I have thought of this myself quite a bit.

My father is an engineer and they recently did some kind of medical survey and ti turned out that %60 of the entire firm were on some kind of anti-depresant. That was a real shocker to everyone. The pursuit of money really kiils people inside, the overworking and constant stress really breaks people.

Yes I have thought about similar things aswell in the recent past, tho I am not in the position to serve to such an extend (in the moment). See down below for my actual goal stemming forth from meditation. And yes, the pursuit of money corrupts you - money is simply a tool for exchanging goods - and that is how I see it, not to pile it up

Teeth and mosquitos!

OP I understand your post, and I would also like to have an answer to your question, because I've been wanting to be able to focus a lot of time on my meditation for a long time, whilst not having to become a homeless man or embarrass my family.

A homeless man said that he loves living in nature and eating out of dumpsters, and that he has figured everything out from laundry in the river, to using dirt for both a deodorant and to wipe his butt with after, but that he still needs to figure out teeth and mosquito's.

I know, e.g. from the autobiography of swami ramdas, that sadhu's lose most teeth in the end, and so I project that a life without money would result in some serious dental issues. Other than that I would've considered becoming homeless if all other options were exhausted, but then I'd embarrass my siblings and parents and place a moral burden on their shoulders, because they'd feel like they would have to pay my medical bills if something were to happen to me. And if it is a chronic condition that requires life long care then it'd be a real bummer.

Interesting story, I am long over the possible embarassment of my family. Since it's most importantly what you want to do, not what your parents want or what generally your surrounding thinks about you. Constant meditation is so transformative in terms of your energies that you attract no more people that talk gossip about you. At least that is it for me. You radiate more clean energy and that alone is so transformative to be worth and must be seen by scientists to transform actual workin environments. See down below for more about this

??? If you have the money you can live however you like. So make as much money as you can when you work, and then do whatever you want in your free time. Work to live, don't live to work.

Yes, it's easy to make "a living" and not pick a very specific job out there. "Don't care about the job itself, care about the people who live in and that you dont come home all exhausted, most importantly feel good while working and afterwards" Maybe thats the wisest thing to do, for the moment.

What about something to do with national parks, forestry, and so forth?

Something up in the mountains, perhaps - maybe even a ski resort or hiking guide.

I have a friend whose son moved to Alaska, got his pilot's license, and works as a guide.

Lot's of possibilities out there.

Until then, don't be discouraged - just practice.

I have a demanding and stressful job, family obligations, live in a populated area...

Not easy to find time for formal practice so I do what I can and try to make everything I do an opportunity for practice.

Over time, it is surprising how much one can bring meditative practice into one's busy, daily life.

Good luck!

That is really a good advice! And I say this because I have put effort into researching exactly what you have described! But very unfortunatelly E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. ends up with how to manage the woods in terms of economy rather than the actual health of the woods. Unbelievable isnt it? Money first. And you dont see this when you want to travel into a national park, you see the beautiful landscape with all the plants and trees and behind it actually is the economy. I mean wtf...

The only idea I have not yet transformed is to ask those few regions in my country that still have ancient forests. Very few states, but they still exist. And then work in those forests to protect them.

It's either the focus on the health of plants and trees or the economy. And I really can not support making money out of tree fellings or hunting animals (which is not even for survival here). It's just stupid.

Generally speaking, there are plenty of opportunities available to get into the sort of environment mentioned in the OP.

One of the best ways is to get into a work exchange program in some retreat centre (usually lasts from 6 months to a year, but could be indefinite if one has an exemplary skill set or craftsmanship).

I did the above for 18 months in a Tibetan buddhist retreat centre. I had initially wanted to do only 6 months, but the opportunity to extend the stay was available, and i accepted it. They had a hostel on site, and one of my duties was to look after that. It was a most interesting experience -- lots of hard work when its busy, but i also got a lot of alone time where i would spend in a splendid meditation hall/shrine room overlooking the ocean. It was marvelous.

Being a chef, it was also part of my responsibility to assist in the kitchen whenever there was a retreat, and also, sometimes would be seconded to cook for visiting teachers in their cottage. Lots of perks whenever i get called to do this as it meant getting to have private chats, teachings, and also it was a very eye-opening experience to engage with them in their space.

For all of the above, i got a free bed, free meals, and also received a token wage. It was pittance, but enough to subsist on. Dont expect to get rich.

I would suggest going on a bit of a fact-finding mission if this is what interests you. Websites of retreat centres would usually say if they are looking for people to work and practice there.

If you are planning to look at Europe, Try Plum Village, Lerab Ling, Samye Ling, Jampa Ling, Findhorn Foundation, Dzogchen Beara, and Sunyata Retreat Centre. Afaik, these centres accept 'volunteers' from time to time.

Afraid thats all the help i could give at this point.

Really interesting, thank you for this personal information. I have played around with the thought of working in a monastery garden. I do not know if I need a full 3year apprenticeship in gardening to start in said environment as a gardener. If so, I am not really sure if those 3 long years are worth it just to work for the moment and see how I can transform my actual meditation into a possible income.

Most youth hostels around the world have volunteer positions :).

It is likely that over the years of living how you wish to live that opportunities will open themselves up to you. We don't tend to stay the same or stay in stasis, so I assume you will always be looking around for new and beneficial ways to enrich your life. I have found that when one is following their heart that the path tends to open up for you in the ways you need it to. Of course on the way there are often extremely difficult times (bumps along the way) but in the end it is worth it.

Yeah it can be good to exclude your personal wantings or ideas about a certain type of work. Just work to get an income and hope for a good working climate would also work very well, I think :)

You don't really need to do anything special to practice meditation and self cultivation. Even within a city you can usually find a quieter area to live if you look around. When you have a steady job it gives you the freedom to be able to do things which you may not otherwise be able to do if you always have very limited funds. There is already a lot of potential even with one to three hours a day or so of daily meditation or other cultivation practices. A respected meditation teacher of mine insists that there is no reason that we can not both cultivate and live a normal life in society, with the one caveat being one has to maintain moderation. No matter where we go or what we do in this world there are always distractions and challenges of one sort or another. There is just no way of getting around that. Choose something that works for you.

One of the ultimate goals of meditation is to then also transform your environment through your very act of mediation. Passively so to speak, yes. And this is exactly one of, if not the, major goal of my life: I want to be able to radiate such possitive energy while in meditation, to open myself completely as a vessel to "god" / source so to speak and to uplift and transform the very environment I live in.

This could be done for companies, for universities first as volunteer and then maybe get for it, get attention with it, bring more people into it and make this popular here in the west (germany).

I am not yet able to sustain my body just on energy, otherwise I could solely do this without having to work. Just sitting somewhere in nature and transform the entire state over time. On a sidenote I have put interest and also effort into getting in such a state of not having to eat, physically, but it's harder than one things. Harder in terms of difficulty, what knowledge is required to live this way and not make lethal mistakes.

The first steps in adjusting to a medative lifestyle is to become content with little. Become needless and try not to concern yourself with where your food comes from. Next, stop worrying about yourself image. Stop cutting your hair and shaving and dont be self conscious about it. If there is a certain look or trend you identify with, stop adjusting your appearence and thinking to that image. Wear whatever clothes are available and think nothing of it. All the while, reduce your identity, don't require actions to validate, reenforce, or project an image that you wish to identify with. If you identify with a sports team, a political party, or a religion, cease to do so immediately. If you identify with a role, as a an artist, a this or a that, a drunk or a saint, or a profession, reject everything you know about those things and remove its influence from your being. Let go of any trace of an ideology.

Give your activities over to something you can feel good about and are of service to humanity. Plant a garden and distribute the food.

Thank you, very good. I am already there. My past effort was naturally to reduce my personality in all the ways you have mentioned. Like said, this somehow comes naturally, because you see how unnecessary it actually is. It all just bolsters you artificially, giving no solid and profound foundation.

But you have also to understand that not everyone was raised poor and for some people it is natural to have enough food and to feel good in a rich environment. Contrary to what many spiritual teachers teach, I personally have the opinion that you can grow spiritually in both extreme types of environments. The most important thing is just to have no constant distractions. You can live as a rich person, in terms of having more than enough, and still make deep steps in meditation. It really is all about not clinging to what you have.

To add to my intitial post: I have found out that the initial step of moving out is so awkwardly hard, why is this so? I've talked about it feels like Glue, really unpleasant. But when you are out, you're out and it's okay. Does this have something to do with the "safety" you've perceived since you were raised in this space?

And the other thing is that I feel it to be difficult to commit to one specific job. To sign a contract and to be bound to said contract. I can not describe it more deeply at the moment since I am in a hurry to get my actual day started (sports! :) ) but it really feels strange just by thinking about it...

All the best and I catch you later

Edited by 4bsolute

a few thoughts.

the fewer your wants/desires, the freer you are.

the more risk & uncertainty you're willing to accept, the freer you are.

the cheaper you can live, the greater your options.

the creative mind can generate streams of income that minimize or even eliminates the need for employment (especially if you have the above points handled)

i live in Northern Sacramento, but my day-to-day experience is not one of "life in the city." i am able to devote as much time as i like to my studies, explorations, and practices. i made a decision years ago about what matters most to me in life and what i can do without. getting clear on THAT is an important first step. i come across people all the time, some of whom frequent this site, who are in love with the "dream" of the spiritual life, but aren't really willing to risk their comforts. they want all the certainty, safety, and security that secular life promises them, and they don't want any of the burdensome trade-offs that come with acquiring those things.

i put it all on the line. i walked away from from a top college. walked away from professional money. i essentially took a vow of poverty and embraced a radical uncertainty. but i was rich in what truly mattered to me, which is the free time to seek the divine and to explore the deep abyss of my own being (which wasn't always pretty). "time is NOT money. anything lost can be found again, EXCEPT for time wasted."

i only worked enough to make rent and eat. rent was cheap and things didn't always go smoothly. yet my life became richer than it had ever been before because i knew what my priorities were, and i wasn't afraid of the uncertainty & insecurity of living a poor man's life. my only luxuries were my laptop (a hand-me-down gift) and my book addiction. spent my time reading, sitting, practicing forms, and mastering the principles upon which those forms were built. spent my time wandering in deep contemplation, and seeking the audience of different masters.

today i don't work a wage job of any kind. i live in a 4-bedroom house that was given to me by one of my students. my living room is one big practice space, and i've got a huge back yard for practice and for gardening. i had NO IDEA things would work out this way. i sought my life of the spirit with a very sincere reckless abandon, knowing that this life isn't worth living if i don't seek the divine to the fullest.

getting free of the bullshit is relatively easy. getting over ones own fear and neurosis is the hard part.

perhaps it was the hardships of my youth that gave me the courage to do what i did to get where i am. i grew up very poor and was even homeless for a time as a child. so none of that really scared me as an adult, since i've already endured those things at a much more vulnerable stage in my life. the one part that was difficult was letting go of the worldly pursuits in academia. i had made it from nothing to the brass ring as an intellectual. i was being offered "advances" on books & critical essays, and i had the respect of professors, doctors, politicians, and lawyers. i almost traded GOD for the trappings of that world.

maybe some people could have found a balance between the two worlds, but i could not. i'm a very intense person by nature, and such a compromise is incongruent with my very being. so i had to make a choice. and i made it.

i was honestly, in my heart of hearts, willing to sacrifice everything to follow my Truth.

ALL IN.

• Like 2

That is interesting hundun.

Edited by skydog

Hundun, it is what Jesus says: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

This is so beautifully exemplified by your life, and such a wonderful confirmation of what I have always believed, i.e. that there is a Divine power that aligns the manifested world in such a way that the seekers desires are fulfilled. And this is especially so when the seeker becomes detached from earthly things.

It is like the moment you really don't want anything anymore, then the Universe conspires to provide said thing in spades and plentitude.

4bsolute, if you really want to have a postive impact on other people in this world and on our environment, then probably one of the best ways would be to volunteer with or join a charitable organization or something similar which does charity work and that sort of thing around the world. Just spending a lot of your time sitting and meditating or whatever, even for a whole lifetime, realistically will probably have much less real positive impact on others or our environment than if you get involved in activities like charity or similar. In East Asia there are many people who become monks/nuns/priests and spend much of their lives in meditation and prayer, etc., but most probably what really has the most wide and positive impact on others and the world around them is the actual charitable work or other activities which people may do directly to help other people out who are in need. Also, a person can spend a large portion of their lifetime in meditation or whatever and still not have changed much. In my opinion, the biggest portion of self cultivation for most of us by far is really working on our own faults and bad habits. In my opinion meditation is not a magic pill that transforms a person without a lot of effort first working on building a strong foundation by working on our personal faults and shortcomings. You don't have to become a monk or nun or whatever to work on improving your self or to help other people. Also you don't have to be directly involved with a charity to help other people out. It all can be done while living a normal life as well, but doing real work to improve our self and to help others is not always so easy. Everyone has to try to find something that works for them personally.

Sign in to follow this