ShinRa

Calling Out All Taoists

Ever walk into a room and hear the tail end of a conversation and wonder what on earth were they talking about?! Well that is what I feel like right now LOL. Last time I walked out of this "room" everyone was discussing philosophical Taoism vs getting up and moving your body/energies around Taoism... ;)

This is not unrelated, imo.

If, already in our minds, something is a certain way - it can affect any desired results or growth. Making room for something new, sometimes requires emptying the cup first. Practice can be like that, no?

• Like 2

Well, snap, Rene! I have not observed a domesticated cat kill quickly. If you have, then they do!!

I must have sadistic cats....

Peace

OR you actually keep them well fed.

Edit: i hate new pages, i was too late! :lol:

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant
  • Like 1

The Taoist, when hungry, eats. The cat is the same way. Cats make good Taoists. Ever see a cat "wu wei-ing"? An art perfected.

• Like 2

A lion kills its prey quickly. A domesticated cat tortures and plays with its prey. Why? Dunno.

Where did you get the assertion that "a lion kills its prey quickly"?

I watched the discovery channel a few times. In one nature show, a pride of lions captured a small animal. The adults formed a big circle to prevent the animal escape. The cubs then practice how to chase and tackle the animal down. When the small animal run away from the cubs, the big lion would block its escape route and force the animal back into the center of the torture circle.

Have you ever encoutnered a lion in the wild? I guess not. Me either.

So we're no lion expert. Probably we should forget the whole lion metaphor. :)

• Like 2

Or, they've never been truly hungry.

Don't feed them for three days,

then put a live mouse in front of them.

Watch what happens.

But you'll have to watch closely,

because it will happen fast.

warm regards

OR you actually keep them well fed.

Edit: i hate new pages, i was too late! :lol:

The Taoist, when hungry, eats. The cat is the same way. Cats make good Taoists. Ever see a cat "wu wei-ing"? An art perfected.

Where did you get the assertion that "a lion kills its prey quickly"?

I watched the discovery channel a few times. In one nature show, a pride of lions captured a small animal. The adults formed a big circle to prevent the animal escape. The cubs then practice how to chase and tackle the animal down. When the small animal run away from the cubs, the big lion would block its escape route and force the animal back into the center of the torture circle.

Have you ever encoutnered a lion in the wild? I guess not. Me either.

So we're no lion expert. Probably we should forget the whole lion metaphor. :)

Hehe. So many great perspectives! Much to learn, much to see.

You all brought forth wonderful perspectives, showing that my statement was not really true. wonderful!

I did not mean it as a absolute statement, even if it was worded that way, though. It was just a jumble of words to try and convey a point.

I wonder if anyone got the point I was trying to make?

The differences between wild and domesticated....how people and animals interact.

How humans in society are similar to domesticated/ wild animals. Expanding perspective on defying/ reversing/ changing nature.

Peace

Probably we should forget the whole lion metaphor. :)

Probably. To the best of my recall, all cats are like that. The mothers are the one who apparently have the responsibility to teach the young. And yes, the teaching process can be cruel for the prey sometimes.

• Like 1

Of course the theoretical and philosophical aspects of Taoism allows one to have an understanding of their beliefs, IMO it's fundamental. What I'm mainly getting at is how some will get caught up in those aspects and sit around arguing and debating what is what instead of actually performing the practice itself and taking something so simple and making it unnecessarily complex...

To be integrated with nature is like gently floating in a river,going wherever it takes you...to overcome nature is to change the river you're floating in. (What I mean by overcoming/defying nature is very subjective!)

Well, Taoism has two sides, one is philosophy and the other is religion. Taoist beliefs begin with the philosophy then religion. Thus without the basic knowledge of the philosophy, then there would be no religion. Some people only study the philosophy without involving with the religion. However, they do believe in good health, so they practice Chi Kung from the advice given from the interpretation of the philosophy. The Taoist philosophy cannot be explained in one or two words. That is why some will get caught up in those aspects and sit around arguing and debating what is what instead of actually performing the practice itself and taking something so simple and making it unnecessarily complex.

"To be integrated with nature is like gently floating in a river,going wherever it takes you"...was not "to overcome nature is to change the river you're floating in. (What I mean by overcoming/defying nature is very subjective!)"

In the Taoist philosophy, integrate with Nature means to blend in with Nature instead of overcome Nature nor change the river you're floating in. Instead, a Taoist will be assured that the river was not disturbed in any way and leave it the way it was before if ever possible. Taoists are naturalists which do not want to interfere with Nature but let Nature take its course. The philosophy was known as 無為(WU Wei). We had quite a few long discussions about Wu Wei, in order, for people not to misinterpret it. Most people interpreted by its superficial meaning which lead them 10,000 miles away in their understand and way off basis.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

You forgot about the Alchemic Taoists. A breed of animal all their own.

No, I didn't forget....

That is a brand new ball game to open a can of worms which I can never put it in words. I have enough trouble with Chi Kung/Nei Kung already...... :P

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Seeing things how they are - instead of how we want to imagine them as being - is not easy to overcome.

Worthy of repeating....

Thank you

• Like 1

I think there are some super, as in over and above, powers to be gained, but to chase the same heights in our urban lives as Taoists who live in groups of other Taoists with daily face to face interaction with highly cultivated practitioners in the ideal environments -- it just doesn't seem like the most logical course.

Learning what I can from life every day and using moments of challenge to grow - this to me is a sound course of action for the environment I'm living in. Working on virtues and personal progress to learn from the lessons given -- that will have to be my Hua Shan, and though I may not walk in the clouds every day, at least I might be able to make lemon sherbert out of lemons rather than spending my life planting pineapples in the wrong climate.

Perhaps some people here are giving it "all or none" and would criticize others for not doing so (not directing that to the OP or any in particular)... but what use do they have for the internet out there exactly? I really have to question the process there.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 2

In my experience, myths and miracles are just products of mind. Nothing of this is left standing if you go through any deep transformation, gross or subtle. The biggest fruits of my practice is really enjoying a cup of coffee.

Personally, what I see as the essence of my life as a Daoist is passing on a flame.

Nothing else matters, or will fall away.

h

• Like 4

Yea!! Another coffee lover.

I agree that myths are a product of the mind. But back in the old days they served a useful purpose in that they offered some type of explanation for what was otherwise unexplanable because the didn't have access to the data needed to make a sound observation.

I question the need for them now-a-days.

I have never bought into miracles, even when I was a kid.

Yes, passing on the flame. To die but be remembered. That is true immortality.

Yea!! Another coffee lover.

I agree that myths are a product of the mind. But back in the old days they served a useful purpose in that they offered some type of explanation for what was otherwise unexplanable because the didn't have access to the data needed to make a sound observation.

I question the need for them now-a-days.

I have never bought into miracles, even when I was a kid.

Yes, passing on the flame. To die but be remembered. That is true immortality.

When I take my first sip of morning joe, I sense the whole universe is watching.

IMO, taking a flight somewhere, or even make a phone call, its pretty miraculous. Familiarity cloakes the objective nature of any phenomenon.

I´ve seen some far out stuff, that I would have denied before I witnessed it. Thus I cannot tell others what I have seen either. But I do not find it miraculous.

Legacy: something moves and is expressed through us, and when that is remembered, we are pretty much forgotten =)

But its nice to leave something behind though....

• Like 2

I´ve seen some far out stuff, that I would have denied before I witnessed it. Thus I cannot tell others what I have seen either. But I do not find it miraculous.

Yes. Here you used a variation of the word I have no problem with.

Neat about your first sip of coffee. Hehehe.

Agreed. We should leave something positive behind for others when our time is finished.

i am definitely going to be a real life pokemon master before i leave this world, because anything less than that is a pitiful unacceptable existence

edit: omx0rz i got post #69

i need to go to bed

Edited by Flolfolil

I follow the teachings of Lao Tzu because I believe they are the key to living a harmonious life. If you are in harmony with the world around you, what's the use in burning paper by touch, or holding your breath for 30 minutes? A man in harmony has everything he needs, so for me the philosophical and practical applications are far more important than the esoteric energy practices.

Aaron

That's something definitely worth living up to, living in harmony with the world around me is one of my major goals. Thanks for sharing :)

Well, Taoism has two sides, one is philosophy and the other is religion. Taoist beliefs begin with the philosophy then religion. Thus without the basic knowledge of the philosophy, then there would be no religion. Some people only study the philosophy without involving with the religion. However, they do believe in good health, so they practice Chi Kung from the advice given from the interpretation of the philosophy. The Taoist philosophy cannot be explained in one or two words. That is why some will get caught up in those aspects and sit around arguing and debating what is what instead of actually performing the practice itself and taking something so simple and making it unnecessarily complex.

"To be integrated with nature is like gently floating in a river,going wherever it takes you"...was not "to overcome nature is to change the river you're floating in. (What I mean by overcoming/defying nature is very subjective!)"

In the Taoist philosophy, integrate with Nature means to blend in with Nature instead of overcome Nature nor change the river you're floating in. Instead, a Taoist will be assured that the river was not disturbed in any way and leave it the way it was before if ever possible. Taoists are naturalists which do not want to interfere with Nature but let Nature take its course. The philosophy was known as 無為(WU Wei). We had quite a few long discussions about Wu Wei, in order, for people not to misinterpret it. Most people interpreted by its superficial meaning which lead them 10,000 miles away in their understand and way off basis.

I understand and agree with what you're saying but to "let nature take its course" is IMO not applying the "will" or being a bit too passive. I see plenty of Christians and other religious people saying EVERYTHING was by God's will even though they obviously made these "events" happen on their own accord, and will forfeit their own "will" to become passive in life because "everything is God's will"... The reason why I oppose this idea is because of a serious illness I had earlier in life and if I would have let nature take its course and didn't oppose this "natural" illness I would have been dead by now. Maybe this doesn't make me a complete Taoist (whatever that means) but I feel like we have control over the course Nature takes...why? Because we are intelligent beings that are apart of the structure of nature just like our cells are intelligent and are apart of the structures our bodies..we have the power and every right to change its course as necessary. Love your posts btw, they give much food for thought. Thanks.

To start off, I mean no offense to anyone,their practice(s),goals and beliefs. I'm simply interested in why so many here on TTB will practice a system but then mainly dwell on the theoretical and philosophical aspects of Taoism, while not truly "diving in" on the actual qi gong/nei gong aspects which has enormous potential for so many things.

I assume you don't know this hence the reason for creating this thread...

But there are 5 different types of Qigong practice.

Religious Qigong

Scholar Qigong

Medical Qigong

Enlightenment/Spiritual Qigong

Martial Qigong

This means not all Taoists have to be interested in - let's say - Martial Qigong for instance. They don't want to fight, so they might pick up Religious and Enlightenment Qigong. Or maybe they're interested in all of those above but tend to dwell on one more than the other.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Celestial
  • Like 1

I assume you don't know this hence the reason for creating this thread...

But there are 5 different types of Qigong practice.

Religious Qigong

Scholar Qigong

Medical Qigong

Enlightenment/Spiritual Qigong

Martial Qigong

This means not all Taoists have to be interested in - let's say - Martial Qigong for instance. They don't want to fight, so they might pick up Religious and Enlightenment Qigong. Or maybe they're interested in all of those above but tend to dwell on one more than the other.

Different strokes for different folks.

Could've sworn Qigong was Qigong (energy work/discipline) and I'm aware of everything mentioned...I was talking about others getting swamped in the philosophical and theoretical aspects of Taoism to the point of not doing or barely doing Qigong in any form. Like, for example, there are those who experience phenomenon and then there are those who talk about these phenomenon but have barely or never experienced any of what they speak of.

Could've sworn Qigong was Qigong (energy work/discipline) and I'm aware of everything mentioned...I was talking about others getting swamped in the philosophical and theoretical aspects of Taoism to the point of not doing or barely doing Qigong in any form. Like, for example, there are those who experience phenomenon and then there are those who talk about these phenomenon but have barely or never experienced any of what they speak of.

Haha, what you're talking about has actually nothing to do with Qigong or Taoists/Taoism but rather people in general. This is the internet and a forum for discussing things related to the spirit/energy/martial arts/etc. There's always going to be less people actually doing the work and far too many people (like the mo pai tards and others who believe they've "leveled up" past masters *cough cough*) just reciting crap they read on the internet and in fantasy books.

Edited by Celestial
  • Like 2

Haha, what you're talking about has actually nothing to do with Qigong or Taoists/Taoism but rather people in general. This is the internet and a forum for discussing things related to the spirit/energy/martial arts/etc. There's always going to be less people actually doing the work and far too many people (like the mo pai tards and others who believe they've "leveled up" past masters *cough cough*) just reciting crap they read on the internet and in fantasy books.

Lmao! Yeah that's true, the mo pai tards never cease to amuse me haha and maybe I'm being a bit too critical since this is only the internet and a forum for discussion like you said. The people reciting this crap and/or constantly showing their "intellectual elitism" pretty much prompted the creation of this thread hehe.

• Like 1