Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Masaru Emoto--questions

I decided to reread the Healing Power of Water recently, after Emoto signed my book.

One of the things that stuck out was his view of the elements. He believes that each of the 108 elements corresponds with the 108 earthly desires in Buddism.

Question #1: Where does one find a list of the 108 earthly desires?

Question #2: Has anybody else tried to attribute emotions to elements, specifically?

Emoto mentioned these six:

irritation--mercury

anger--lead

sorrow--aluminum

uncertainty--cadmium

despair--steel

stress--zinc

Now I would have thought that anger was copper based on homeopathy, but maybe I'm just causing trouble by trying to mix systems. ;)

Other comments:

-The cloud exercise he mentioned in the book is very similar to one I've done in training. Hmm!

-I'm interested in Dr. Rupert Sheldrake now, and the studies on morphic resonance, on "why does that occur" and affects of observation on the observed. I met a scientist who had some interesting things to say... I want to get my hand on the documentary "six scientists of interest"

That's all for now.

Question #2: Has anybody else tried to attribute emotions to elements, specifically?

Taoists! :D Taoist alchemists have always associated emotions with the five elements:-

"The number '5' has a special mystical significance to Taoists (and to Chinese in general).

There are the symbolic five mountains, five elements, five colours, five planets, five virtues,

five emotions, five directions, etc. all of which have a mystic significance. Hence we see

five Repulse Monkeys or Five Cloud Hands in the Tai Chi form."

See Chia's Fusion of the Five Elements I:- "In this practice of Taoist Internal Alchemy, you will learn

to neutralize the negative emotions of worry, sadness, arrogance, anger and fear back into

pure energy by anchoring the source of the emotions in the bodily organs, and establishing a balance

through the Five Elements control cycle. The purified energy is crystallized into a radiant energy pearl

within the inner cauldron. This pearl is then circulated through the Microcosmic Orbit, attracting to it the

external Chi of the Three Forces: Heaven, Earth, and Cosmic Force. The formation and circulation of the

pearl plays a pivotal role in the nourishment of the soul or energy body."

Here's a great text, imho, on that subject! Check it out someday, when you have the time:-

Five Elements, Six Conditions: A Taoist Approach to Emotional Healing

It's heavily influenced by Chia, and Chia has also written the Introduction to it, I believe.

-I'm interested in Dr. Rupert Sheldrake now, and the studies on morphic resonance, on "why does that

occur" and affects of observation on the observed.

Regarding Sheldrake's theory of morphic resonance, it is not entirely original, as it is largely based on

Jung's theory of universal archetypes. In my opinion, the theory of morphic resonance is totally Taoist

in nature, and can be easily extrapolated from the Wilhelm/Baynes version of the I Ching. Time forbids

my attempting to demonstrate that at the present time. Perhaps later! B)

Yes, I know about five element theory, but I mean, has anyone tried to categorize all of the known elements--all 108 of them.

Yes, I know about five element theory, but I mean, has anyone tried to categorize all of the known elements--

all 108 of them.

Oh, ok, I've got it now. Sorry about that. To be perfectly honest, I have never heard anyone before claim the

existence of 108 elements. That's an entirely new one on me. Personally, I doubt there is, but I'll reserve final

judgment on that until after I read his book. Don't you think it's just a little unusual that the Taoist Immortals

should have left out 103 of them? I do, to be honest about it.

Look at the Materia Medica :). I don't know how many substances have been proven in total, but maybe a few thousand. I don't know exactly how many of them are elements, but that would be interesting to find out. And recently there have been new provings done on the Lanthanides, the rare earth elements in the gold series from Lanthanum to Lutetium. Fascinating stuff.

But every substance has mental/emotional qualities associated, although some have wider symptom profiles than others, and some have proven to be more archetypal than others, which is why we come down to the 4 basic ones.

For any given emotion, like fear for example, you can find it in a vast number of substances. I can tell you how many references I have to the word "fear" in my digital materia medica - 679 unique remedies :)

-Karen

I wonder if there's a correspondence between Emoto's and the ones in the materia medica. Hmmm, something to research next time I'm bored.

What are the 108 earthly desires in Buddhism, anyone know? I know there are Buddhists on this board!

Sign in to follow this