Starjumper

The MCO is Taoist fundamentalism

How do you will something without willing it?

What are you doing when you are practicing and why are you practicing if you have no intent for anything?

I'm confused.

I think that some may have a natural ability to achieve, like sorcerers are born and mages are made.

You can't tell a sorcerer to not use will because that would be a travesty, being that is the greatest attribute the sorcerer has.

To me that would be like saying to an artist that he cannot draw or paint, or an inventor that he cannot create.

(P.S. these are analogies)

Look, there are multiple perspective, you only have your personal path to look from, directly. So you can't necessarily say that what is best for one or two is best for all. That is a dogmatic approach and really irks me that so many here would be so inconsiderate of other perspectives and views.

I thought the Tao was accepting of varying views, and if you are to represent the Tao I personally feel you are doing a poor job of it, and It makes me feel sad.

Would you really have told the Buddha to not seek enlightenment, or Ramana Maharishi to not seek samadh, etc,..

Entering samādhi initially takes great training and willpower, and maintaining it takes even more will. The beginning stages of samādhi (laya and savikalpa samādhi) are only temporary. By "effort" it is not meant that the mind has to work more. Instead, it means work to control the mind and release the self. Note that normal levels of meditation (mostly the lower levels) can be held automatically, as in "being in the state of meditation" rather than overtly "meditating."[clarification needed] The ability to obtain positive results from meditation is much more difficult than simply meditating.[clarification needed] It is recommended to find a qualified spiritual master (guru or yogi) who can teach a meditator about the workings of the mind. As one self-realized yogi explained, "You can meditate but after some time you will get stuck at some point. That is the time you need a guru. Otherwise, without a Guru, chances are very slim."[13]

1. Savikalpa - This is an interface of trans meditation[clarification needed] and higher awareness state, asamprajñata. The state is so named because mind retains its consciousness, which is why in savikalpa samādhi one can experience guessing (vitarka), thought (vicāra), bliss (ānanda) and self-awareness (asmita).[9] In Sanskrit, "kalpa" means "imagination". Vikalpa (an etymological derivation of which could be 'विशेषः कल्पः विकल्पः।') connotes imagination. Patañjali in the Yoga Sūtras defines "vikalpa" saying: 'शब्द-ज्ञानानुपाति वस्तु-शून्यो-विकल्पः।'. "Sa" is a prefix which means "with". So "savikalpa" means "with vikalpa" or "with imagination". Ramana Maharshi defines "savikalpa samādhi" as, "holding on to reality with effort".[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samadhi

Edited by Dagon

I would like to know where you guys are getting this from exactly, the translation and the original verse, because it doesn't coincide with any truth that I have learned.

It seems like a translation error, that was pointing at "wanting" more than will.

IE; if you are not born a sorcerer, then you will never achieve anything according to your philosophy, (In my opinion as an analogy.)

Edited by Dagon

15. Keeping your body relaxed, send the loving smile to the kidneys. Visualise them like deep blue ears, releasing fear and stress from them whilst exhaling the sound Choo. Smile to them as they fill with soothing security, wisdom and calm. Thank them and the adrenals for filtering blood, balancing water and increasing stress resistance. Strong kidneys also give us the willpower to act on our convictions. -Mantak Chia

http://www.universal-tao.com/article/the_inner_smile.html

I can tell you for certain that in at least some daoist cultivation traditions the MCO (as you refer to it) is not opened intentionally and actually opens by itself naturally as a result of meditation and other related practices. No intention is really involved to open the MCO or direct its flow. This all occurs naturally. There are various practices out there that people call 'daoist' nowadays mainly as a marketing strategy from what I can tell. It seems to me a lot of these other practices are more likely not at all related to real daoist practices, or are divergences from original daoist practices. The authentic practices are hard to come by from my experience.

Thank you sir that's what I was trying to say, or one of the things =)

I trained with Yeung Fook. Super cool guy and even though he was quite an adept he was grounded and down-to-earth.

Ah, another kung fu brother I didn't know about, good. What kind of training? Was it king fu or chi kung or healing?

Yes, he was very cool. He had a joy that was contagious and a bright energy that sparkled, also very interested in teaching the whole enchilada, as he said at least with the chi kung: "No secrets"

But when I asked him what trick he used to cook the delicious smelling rice he prepared while we were meditating he said: "Thats a secret" He was also a little tricky in a nice way, joyous is the word.

What are you doing when you are practicing and why are you practicing if you have no intent for anything?

I'm confused.

I started out because I heard about this stuff called chi and wanted to check it out. I also wanted to help people in their spiritual quest. Let me tell you, I had NO idea what I was getting into! I had no idea I was on the path of the sorcerer, or mage, or whatever. And I think telling people what it is ahead of time is a big disservice.I just knew that this was the most advanced master I would find so I stuck with him and followed instructions. I didn't ask him to teach me, he told me to come to him. Also several of the students dropped out when the going got rough in spite of the fact that he was a most advanced master.

Part of the 'intent' of the practice is discovery and exploration. So you learn new techniques and then go home and practice them to see what gifts they contain, if you are told what to look for, as many teachers do then you will most likely not discover the other 80% of the benefits some techinique contains. The other part of the intent is basking in blissful chi energy that I create and radiate naturally to others as healing energy, form them just standing close to me

I think that some may have a natural ability to achieve, like sorcerers are born and mages are made.

You can't tell a sorcerer to not use will because that would be a travesty, being that is the greatest attribute the sorcerer has.

I can tell from experiences I've had that I was affiliated with this stuff in past lives, and I killed a lot of people during those lives too, and got killed some too of course. I feel that I and Mr. Yueng were associated in some way in past lives.

Edited by Starjumper

My understanding of the word fundamentalism is that it is by nature a divisive ideology, it insists that "OUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY"......therefore the very nature of the title of this thread is incorrect....as any Daoist would agree there are varying paths and that the MCO is not the only valid technique in the world.....but that there are many methods which are beneficial.

My 2 cents, Peace

I like this post.

Then your karma led you to him, it seems. Yeah real masters are a mystery haha.

So basically is your training right now too secret to teach a method from the system? Or do I have to pm you about it? I'm curious.

There are some secrets, but as I mentioned somewhere earlier. It seem to include a lot of good stuff that I've seen in other systems. As an example one of the exercises is like cloud hands like in tai chi BUT it seems that in the period of a year we did hundreds of variations of cloud hands. There are so many variations of that one thing that you could say it contains a hundred techniques I guess.

For example, you can do it with very small almost internalized movement, or you can do it with big circles where you have to lean way over and reach, we did it all the way from reaching stretching fully upwards to down to floor level. It can be done 'normal' yang style, or it can be very sinuous and spiraling like in wing chun. There are also quite a few different energy tasks that are fulfilled depending on how it's done and what the intent is. In addition to that it can be plenty of good physical exercise too, which is an important, often ignored by the armchair crowd, basic requirement for cultivating energy and vitality. So that's one example, just multiply that by a thousand or so to get the full system.

It is said these systems contain ten thousand techniques, which in Taoism means both everything and way too much to count.

So the way it seems to work is that if you, for example, learn twelve new techniques each week you will have learned 625 in one year and 5000 in eight years, which is how long it took. All this gives you the 'keys' that allow you to discover and unlock the other 5000 techniques, and that is a test for the student. After eight years he retired and so the rest of it (how much more we could figure out) was a test. To learn and remember so many techniques requires a lot of home practice; and there was no spoon feeding. Sometimes he would do some technique only once, so if someone had their eyes closed or weren't watching him like a hawk (that's the best advice I ever got, to watch him like a hawk), or didn't practice it when they got home and forgot about it they simply lost it and it was gone forever. I found out that some of the things he did only once, as I revisited them years later, contained the keys to a whole world of energy cultivation methods. So there one technique that was taught yields many more.

Kind of like that =)

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Haha kinda like taking a method and just practice it without having a clue of what could happen haha.

There is a quote from Rumi that goes something like this: "The best teachers show you where to look but do not tell you what to see." On the other hand some other teacher$ spend five hours during a seminar flapping their jaw about what you are supposed to 'see'.

So it seems that in order to learn the movements and techniques you learned, you must be in person.

You really must, for one thing 'watch him like a hawk' is not really possible in a video because there are too many details to observe and imitate. Details like the angle of every joint in their body - just doesn't show well in videos.

• Like 2

There is a quote from Rumi that goes something like this: "The best teachers show you where to look but do not tell you what to see." On the other hand some other teacher$ spend five hours during a seminar flapping their jaw about what you are supposed to 'see'.

Absolutely - the best teachers teach you how to learn, give you a foundation, then turn you loose to do the work for yourself.

You really must, for one thing 'watch him like a hawk' is not really possible in a video because there are too many details to observe and imitate. Details like the angle of every joint in their body - just doesn't show well in videos.

After a long time struggling, I finally realized that the best way to learn from my teacher was to focus on his footwork. Once you got the footwork and waist movement, the hands and upper body would generally come naturally.

Absolutely - the best teachers teach you how to learn, give you a foundation, then turn you loose to do the work for yourself.

That is a really good way to put it, that is the path to mastery. Spoon feeding does not masters make.

Another thing. Once, in a dialogue I had with a very old person I deem immortal, I mentioned that I had visited a chi kung teacher's class in Seattle and saw that out of about twenty students he had that not one of them was doing the very simple movement exactly like he was. In fact they weren't even trying, they were just doing a mildly similar imitation, some better than others. I was really embarrassed for the teacher when I saw this, what an insult to him, huh? I mentioned this to the immortal dude and his response was that only a master will attempt a true imitation of another.

Another thing, one of the things I neglected to mention earlier is that one of the important components a person should learn on a path like this and practice is careful observation. Careful observation is an important ingredient in any path of this type and of course is required for proper imitation as well. Those punks and punkettes in Seattle were lousy observers, probably never having learned the value of observation: "watch him like a hawk".

After a long time struggling, I finally realized that the best way to learn from my teacher was to focus on his footwork. Once you got the footwork and waist movement, the hands and upper body would generally come naturally.

That's good but we also have some rather detailed hand, finger, and wrist movements that also needed imitation.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

That's good but we also have some rather detailed hand, finger, and wrist movements that also needed imitation.

Oh yeah, no question, but for me at least, getting the footwork and waist pattern is the most important place to start. The hands are more subtle, detailed, refined and are stage 2 (or later) in the process. Just my approach but it worked really well.

I should qualify that - my teacher is really old school - he'd demonstrate a series of movements exactly 3 times. Then he'd walk away. You got it or you didn't. And the more advance you got, the more he'd give you at a time. He'd come back in an hour and ask if there were any questions. If you were lucky, he'd show it one more time. Then you worked on it for a week and he expected it to be pretty accurate when he asked you to show him next time... If it wasn't, you wouldn't move on until it was. So it was easier to sort of fake the hands but if you didn't have the footwork, it was a disaster. Then over time we would refine and correct.

Observing a martial arts teacher is hard when you're a beginner. First of all, you don't know what to look at unless you're a master imitator. The clothes my teachers wear sometimes hide the subtle movements. Unless you're been observing martial arts for years, you'll miss them.

Try it sometime - focus on the feet and waist, get that solid. Then worry about the hands. Everyone's got their own style, but that was a huge breakthrough for me and it took me about 3 years to figure it out, duh...

:lol:

• Like 2

Steve, that is very much old school. Good for you that you do it and stick with it! Also, your advice to watch the feet and waist more is good too because many beginners will focus on the hands and arms and miss the belly movements.

Edited by Starjumper

I was taught from day 1 of Tai Chi to focus on the legs and waist :)

Sounds like you have a good teacher - very nice!

• Like 1

Chunyi Lin says the MCO is the foundation of the training and that you don't need his higher level classes if you just take the small universe/MCO to the highest levels.

MCO is the foundation of what training? Isn't it an advanced technique that should only be practiced after you achieve an erection when meditating at hour of tsu? (roughly midnight). It takes a long time to achieve the midnight boner--I think your jing must be completely filled up first, and ready to overflow--that's when you'll achieve the erection.

Correct me if I am wrong.

When I brought the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" to class Chunyi Lin quoted from the book - even though I kept the book in my unopened backpack. Chunyi Lin said he had just taken his small universe practice to a very high level - and the quote from the book was about seeing snow fall in the sky and like flowers in the winter - it means right before the yang spirit is created.

So that was around 2001 but Chunyi Lin achieved that in Minnesota - he had later said he had taken small universe/MCO to deeper levels --

The passage he quoted, about flowers blossoming in the snow, or whatever, is near the end of the book. There are 16 steps and I think that this happens around chapter/step 12. Has Chunyi Lin really advanced that far? Taoist Yoga says that the light of vitality is achieved at step 6 and stabilized at step 7. So does he see the light of vitality in front of him everywhere he goes?

The point is - if you read Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality it's all based on the small universe/MCO practice - it's a very practical concise training manual - it's not based on rhetoric, etc. but on precise psychophysiological and spiritual transformations.

If someone practices Taoist Yoga, is that all he needs to practice? The book seems to imply that nothing else is necessary, because all of the practicer's time is spent devoted to this practice. If it needs to be balanced with something else, what should you practice alongside it?

Can anyone tell me what school / branch of Neigong the teachings in Taoist Yoga are from? I know it's not really called "Taoist Yoga", because that is just what Charles Luk called it when he translated it into English. What is this system really called? Who practiced it and where? Does anyone know more about the origins of this system?

The practices are essentially the same as the Zheng Yi sect methods from Jerry Alan Johnson's book - so it may be Zheng Yi,

I was under the impression that the physiological phenomenon which is labeled & systematized by Daoists as MCO predates Daosim by tens of thousands of years.

I agree very much that forcing potential that may occur naturally has its downsides, but that seems to be the problem when definitions enter the equasion. I see the various systems of cultivation more as hints and attempts to communicate certain experiences, not necessarily as manuals for explicit practice methods.

Although Micro cosmic Circulation is widely experienced and talked about by many Taoists , it can't reach that degree we claim fundamental ; the two most fundamental principles I think of are :

1) The jing-qi-shen process/ framework;

2) The principle of dual cultivation ( Spiritual cum Physical ) ;

That means, even people don't experience MCC , the methods they adopt can still be Taoist. However, if anyone doesn't talk or follow 1) or 2) , then hardly can we claim his/ her Taoist; in other words , his may belong to Buddhist or other Yoga's...

How about Yin and yang ? people may ask.... because both I-Ching and the Confucians talk about it , so it is not the sole Taoist suff..

Edited by exorcist_1699

MCO is the foundation of what training? Isn't it an advanced technique that should only be practiced after you achieve an erection when meditating at hour of tsu? (roughly midnight). It takes a long time to achieve the midnight boner--I think your jing must be completely filled up first, and ready to overflow--that's when you'll achieve the erection.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The passage he quoted, about flowers blossoming in the snow, or whatever, is near the end of the book. There are 16 steps and I think that this happens around chapter/step 12. Has Chunyi Lin really advanced that far? Taoist Yoga says that the light of vitality is achieved at step 6 and stabilized at step 7. So does he see the light of vitality in front of him everywhere he goes?

If someone practices Taoist Yoga, is that all he needs to practice? The book seems to imply that nothing else is necessary, because all of the practicer's time is spent devoted to this practice. If it needs to be balanced with something else, what should you practice alongside it?

Can anyone tell me what school / branch of Neigong the teachings in Taoist Yoga are from? I know it's not really called "Taoist Yoga", because that is just what Charles Luk called it when he translated it into English. What is this system really called? Who practiced it and where? Does anyone know more about the origins of this system?

yep most people never fill the lower tan tien - correct.

I filled it back in 2000 - held into that for just a few weeks. Energy was too strong.

I have not been able to fill it since.

Yes He really has advanced that far. Most people can not even imagine how far he has advanced and so don't know what they are missing. Ignorance is bliss right? Or is it. haha.

yes MCO is all that is needed - if you very strictly follow the book. But that is next to impossible in modern times. You can not have any impure thoughts and this means when seeing other people, etc. The book clearly explains the details but you have to follow every word strictly.

So if you can't do that then what else to practice with it? standing active exercises.....

Some people here know all the Chinese details on the various Taoist lineages and the teachers that are behind the Taoist Yoga book - I don't know - if it's Complete Reality or something.

There are debates about it especially by people who think Taoist Yoga isn't the "real" teaching since it is somewhat of a compilation. But whatever - it definitely is the real teaching if someone decides to give it a try and that means taking it seriously. Just like an experiment - it's a gamble. You read it and go - this seems like the real deal - it jives with what other teachers are saying, I think I will practice it just exactly as it says.

Again it's next to impossible to practice that in our modern times. But if you can pull it off it is a very fast practice.

Master Nan and Bodri warn that the book is a "tantra" practice - based on visualizations (instead of just Emptiness) focus and so that means it is very fast but also dangerous.

So... anyway - yeah since SFQ Master quoted from the book and he did mention jing and that you can not even think about sex - but that was back in 2000 before he was Americanized. haha. So anyway my guess is that he has either read the book or his lineage overlaps with the books teachings - as he relies on MCO as the foundation of his practice.....

umm for copyright reasons I no longer refer to the SFQ masters by name, etc.

• Like 2

yep most people never fill the lower tan tien - correct.

I filled it back in 2000 - held into that for just a few weeks. Energy was too strong.

What did you try to do with it when you had filled it? According to my understanding of TY, once it's filled, you begin "boiling" it by cultivating nature and life by looking into and concentrating on lower tan tien. This sublimates jing into vilatity, and eventually the mco will begin on its own.

I have not been able to fill it since.

Yes He really has advanced that far. Most people can not even imagine how far he has advanced and so don't know what they are missing. Ignorance is bliss right? Or is it. haha.

yes MCO is all that is needed - if you very strictly follow the book. But that is next to impossible in modern times. You can not have any impure thoughts and this means when seeing other people, etc. The book clearly explains the details but you have to follow every word strictly.

I know it's difficult to achieve in modern times, but I nevertheless still want to complete the book haha. I just have be accept the fact that it may not happen, but it's one of my life goals anyway. I think it's difficult, but I wouldn't say "next to impossible." I wonder if it's something that's almost guaranteed to happen for us, if we've built up the karma that opens it up to us. Some taobums on here say that it's karma that leads us to the right books and enables our progress.

Master Nan and Bodri warn that the book is a "tantra" practice - based on visualizations (instead of just Emptiness) focus and so that means it is very fast but also dangerous.

I didn't think that it was about "visualizations" because I didn't see any mention of visualizations in the book. But the book is always talking about achieving a state of absolute void (without a single stirring thought). It says that the void that is relative is empty and void that is absolute in not empty. I took this to mean that we must achieve an absolute void without a single stirring thought; it is within this state that we practice the mco, etc. and eventually results in the light of vitality (the void that is not empty).

If the void is relative (some stirring of thoughts), then the void will always be empty (no light of vitality will ever be achieved in our practice).

So... anyway - yeah since SFQ Master quoted from the book and he did mention jing and that you can not even think about sex - but that was back in 2000 before he was Americanized. haha. So anyway my guess is that he has either read the book or his lineage overlaps with the books teachings - as he relies on MCO as the foundation of his practice.....

umm for copyright reasons I no longer refer to the SFQ masters by name, etc.

He said that you can never even think about sex, but from what I derived from my study of TY, I think that it's only after you create the spiritual embryo that it is absolutely necessary never to ejaculate--because you'll literally ejaculate the spiritual embryo! and all of your practice leading up to that will have been in vain! It's okay to occasionally ejaculate until one reaches chapters 8 or 9 (I think) when the embryo is created. However, sex will DEFINITELY slow down one's progress and it will take a very long time to achieve anything, but if it does happen, it doesn't mean that ALL progress is gone. An ejaculation will convert positive jing into negative jing and flush it out of the body, along with some positive vitality; plus you'll have to wait at least three or four days before you can continue your practice.

I used to practice chapter 1 of TY, by fixing spirit in its cavity. The book says to always concentrate on cavity of spirit (upper tan tien) at all times, not just when meditating. So I was doing this, and it resulted in a very bad side effect: it seems to have built up a lot of energy in my lower brain because I feel it lodged there. But what's worse is that it has caused me to almost permanently have songs in my head. If I hear a song on the radio, I hear it persistently all of the time (not with my ears, but in my head). It's making meditation impossible, and I'm convinced that it's a direct result of always focusing on my upper tan tien.

In your work with Chunyi Lin and SFQ masters, or whoever else you worked with, have you ever heard of this side effect? And how can I fix it?

If you don't know, that's okay. I'm just putting these questions out there so that they may come across someone who does know; and you've worked with Chunyi Lin who's achieved so much from the book.

nope - you still have projected your Western materialist views onto the book.

negative jing is NOT ejaculation.

there is "seminal fluid" and then negative jing - study the text - it's not the same.

negative jing is blissful heat. yang jing is electromagnetic energy - but it's still weak.

So when the lower tan tien fills up then everything accelerates -

as for not ejaculating - it's required from the beginning - or else how do you "still the heart" which is the focus of chapter one?

You can not create the lower tan tien if you have bad thoughts.

So yeah most modern practitioners - the taobums website is full of bad thoughts.

I sit in full lotus at the computer but even then it can take a couple hours just to recover from reading thetaobums.

I can read people's energy on this board when they have lower body blockages.

For example I can think of a few right now on this board - four males posting - who have lower body blockages.

That time I outed people by name but that always gets me in trouble. haha. Suspended or whatever.

But anyway so as for visualizations - the MCO practice is visualization!

Yes it's a paradox - going into the Emptiness and then visualizing - why? Because if you can really do chapter one then you really don't have to do the MCO!

The book continues this emptiness practice at various stages after successing in the MCO...

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus
  • Like 1

nope - you still have projected your Western materialist views onto the book.

negative jing is NOT ejaculation.

there is "seminal fluid" and then negative jing - study the text - it's not the same.

negative jing is blissful heat. yang jing is electromagnetic energy - but it's still weak.

So when the lower tan tien fills up then everything accelerates -

as for not ejaculating - it's required from the beginning - or else how do you "still the heart" which is the focus of chapter one?

You can not create the lower tan tien if you have bad thoughts.

So yeah most modern practitioners - the taobums website is full of bad thoughts.

I sit in full lotus at the computer but even then it can take a couple hours just to recover from reading thetaobums.

I can read people's energy on this board when they have lower body blockages.

For example I can think of a few right now on this board - four males posting - who have lower body blockages.

That time I outed people by name but that always gets me in trouble. haha. Suspended or whatever.

But anyway so as for visualizations - the MCO practice is visualization!

Yes it's a paradox - going into the Emptiness and then visualizing - why? Because if you can really do chapter one then you really don't have to do the MCO!

The book continues this emptiness practice at various stages after successing in the MCO...

It seems to be pretty common for people to say that this thought/ feeling/ desire is "bad" and this is "good".

To me, it seems to create/ be created by a split in a person. They have "shadow" aspects and repressions that have not been dealt with so they make it "bad".

Its really easy to say, I dont know how to deal with this so its bad. Is that the most holistic way? I dont think so.

Do I know what the way is? Nope. I do not.

We so often demonize and try to destroy our emotions and desires, without understanding them.

Emotions have such....wisdom and power to them, if we could spend some time, we might experience that.

I feel that there is a way to cultivate and have sex. Sex is a beautiful thing. Two people, merging together, explosions and joy abound!

Lots of energy is created. Its hard to channel that energy in the middle of sex.

Maybe that is why so many do not use it as part of their practice.

How can you (still the heart) without ejaculating?

Why do you "need" to abstain to (still the heart)?

I feel like its important to really ponder our beliefs ,our ways of doing things, our self's. Otherwise, we may not see whats possible and what is....

Hmm.... Enough of my ramblings.

Peace!

• Like 2

Just to protect innocent: Stay away from Micro Cosmic Orbit meditation especially if you are trying to learn it from Mantak Chia or others books. It is dangerous. To make an analogy with electricity, you may easily let too much current pass through the cables of your nervous system such that these cables will burn.

Edited by Isimsiz Biri