Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

Are there any good resources on how to

Any good books or web sites you could recommend on practical ways of applying Daoist philosophy to everyday situations and difficulties would be greatly appreciated. Currently I am trying just to do my job as a librarian and "set no store by it" as the Dao De Jing recommends, but for so long I have felt insecure about losing my job, or not doing a good enough job that I'm finding it difficult to live by this advice. Also the book says that "the sage prefers what is within to what is without" but I get so caught up in listening to music, watching TV, impulse spending etc. I'm finding it hard to detach from these things.

How do you guys apply Daoism to everyday life?

...but for so long I have felt insecure about losing my job, or not doing a good enough job that I'm finding it difficult to live by this advice. Also the book says that "the sage prefers what is within to what is without" but I get so caught up in listening to music, watching TV, impulse spending etc. I'm finding it hard to detach from these things.

A person can't 'apply' taoism. It has no use.

You sound like you're escaping alot, even ending up in a job as a librarian. If you care for some advice, just get out into the world and start getting involved. I would look up volunteer websites and spend time helping people. I think for now if you focus on helping other people, you might start to find some of the other pieces coming together.

fwiw,

T

No, I'm not being escapist, in fact I have a very active social life. And I didn't become a librarian to escape, I did it because I like to help people find information. Perhaps I was phrasing things the wrong way. Perhaps I should ask, how do I practice daoism? After all, this site has a forum for people's practice journals. I find it hard to believe you don't do anything to practice the philosophy. I'm just trying to overcome some bad habits, that's all.

Any good books or web sites you could recommend on practical ways of applying Daoist

The great thing about taoism, is it is a way of living in a world that sometimes treats you well, sometimes badly (we're all "straw dogs" as LaoZi says). I think it's possible to learn to live in a balanced way in the world, giving and receiving, closing and opening up, when it feels right. When it comes down to it, I don't think that we can be guided by books in our lives, but by how our experiences and actions feel.

...having said that, I find the Barefoot Doctor's book Urban Warrior a great resource as a humorous and modern taoist approach to living in the world. It does have some deep practices too, but delivered with a light touch.

Hi -I have always used the YiJing (I Ching) to apply Taoist ideas to my everyday life. I sugest the Wilhelm/Baynes translation to start with.

You should meditate on an issue for 20 minutes or so and throw the coins (or toss yarrow sticks etc... with your questions in mind.

I will take this opportunity to plug my own book- Which Sean has so kindly been running a banner for here at the TaoBums...

The wayfarer Sonnets which were written as companions to the YiJing-

http://www.lulu.com/pdgart-

There are several poems on line to give an idea of the books' content.

Enjoy - don't worry about the path you are on, go Jedi and "feel the force !" It may help ya- PDG

The wayfarer Sonnets which were written as companions to the YiJing-

Yep. Get these Sonnets... not just as a support for the brave man who wrote it but for the value it gives you in its own sense.

:)

Harry

...having said that, I find the Barefoot Doctor's book Urban Warrior a great resource as a humorous and modern taoist approach to living in the world. It does have some deep practices too, but delivered with a light touch.

Hey, thanks for reminding me about this guy, I tried to buy his stuff a while ago but couldn't..just ordered a couple through amazon..

T

Any good books or web sites you could recommend on practical ways of applying Daoist philosophy to

everyday situations and difficulties would be greatly appreciated.

01 - The Tao in Ten

02 - Entering the Tao

03 - Watching the Tree

04 - The Living I Ching

05 - Practical Taoism

06 - Attaining Unlimited Life

07 - Life and Teachings of Kou Hong

08 - Eternal Light: Teachings of Ni Yo-San

09 - Workbook for Spiritual Development

10 - The Urban Warrior Handbook

11 - The Scholar Warrior

12 - Everyday Tao

13 - 365 Tao

Yep. Get these Sonnets... not just as a support for the brave man who wrote it but for the value it gives you in its own sense.

Harry

I am blushing Harry with gratitude and humility. Many thanks for your kindness here as always-Pat

I am blushing Harry with gratitude and humility. Many thanks for your kindness here as always-Pat

hi innerspace cadet, here are some quotes from the "hua hu ching" that might be relevant to you on how to apply daoism to everyday life,

Ch. 51

Those who want to know the truth of the universe

should practice the four cardinal virtues.

The first is reverence for all life; this manifests as

unconditional love and respect for oneself and all

other beings.

The second is natural sincerity; this manifests as

honesty, simplicity and faithfulness.

The third isgentleness; this manifests as kindness,

consideration for others, and sensitivity to spiritual

truth

The fourth is supportiveness; this manifests as service

to others without expectation of reward.

The four virtues are not an external dogma but a part

of your original nature.

When practiced, they give birth to wisdom and evoke

the five blessings: health, wealth, happiness,

longevity and peace

.......and from chapter 52........

The Tao is simple and doesn't avoid the

world

Why not simply honour your parents,

love your children,

help your brothers and sisters,

be faithful to your friends,

care for your mate with devotion,

complete our work cooperatively and joyfully,

assume responsibility for problems,

practice virtue without first demanding it of others,

understand the highest truths, yet retain an ordinary

manner?

That would be true clarity, true simplicity, true

mastery

And, a few things some masters have told me...........

- when you eat, eat

- when you defecate, defecate

- when you drive, drive for others and for saftey on the road

- when you smile, smile from your three eyes

- when you walk, breath from your head down to your toes

Any good books or web sites you could recommend on practical ways of applying Daoist philosophy to everyday situations and difficulties would be greatly appreciated. Currently I am trying just to do my job as a librarian and "set no store by it" as the Dao De Jing recommends, but for so long I have felt insecure about losing my job, or not doing a good enough job that I'm finding it difficult to live by this advice. Also the book says that "the sage prefers what is within to what is without" but I get so caught up in listening to music, watching TV, impulse spending etc. I'm finding it hard to detach from these things.

One story says Lao-tzu was a librarian. :) You're in good company. Forced detachment isn't the goal, natural detachment is. If you have concerns, they must be confronted, not thrust away. To do so effectively, one must make certain internal preparations. Read the Tao Te Ching, read Chuang tzu, (multiple translations!) and not just when you're feeling like taking on the world. :) I've found insight often comes clearest when the walls in one's brain have been worn down due to heavy burdens. Simple meditations like sitting-forgetting or walking meditation can also help bring certain understandings. Try listening to a windchime on a slightly windy day, or taking a trip in a porch rocking chair around sunset. :)

.......and from chapter 52........

The Tao is simple and doesn't avoid the

world

Why not simply honour your parents,

love your children,

help your brothers and sisters,

be faithful to your friends,

care for your mate with devotion,

complete our work cooperatively and joyfully,

assume responsibility for problems,

practice virtue without first demanding it of others,

understand the highest truths, yet retain an ordinary

manner?

Interesting..sounds very similar to the ten commandments. would be very interesting to see a literal translation of this excerpt.

T

Great question! It's bringing out some great links and suggestions.

Two books by Master Waysun Liao have been very helpful to me in this regard: Nine Nights with the Daoist Master (especially Delux edition) and a related book, Chi: How To Feel Your Life Energy.

I hope you'll let us know what you're finding helpful.

Cheya

Nine Nights with the Daoist Master (especially Delux edition)

Ouch! :o

and a related book, Chi: How To Feel Your Life Energy.

I hope you'll let us know what you're finding helpful.

Cheya

who wrote that one?

T

Ouch! :o

who wrote that one [Chi: How to Feel...]?

T

Both books were written by Master Liao.

I know, Nine Nights is pricey, but I haven't regretted the expense for a moment! Both books have really fed my practice, and my motivation to practice. I don't know if advanced practitioners would find them as helpful....

Night Nights is Master Liao's translation of the Tao Te Ching embedded in a teaching novel. Chi: How to Feel Your Life Energy is a very simple non-fiction book that tells you why you're cultivating chi, and how to start doing it in a very simple straightforward way. So simple, in fact, that I was initially sorry I'd chucked out $25 for the book. But it's simplicity is a big plus, and I have 3 people wanting to borrow the book already. I'm going to reread it for about the fourth time before I start lending it out! Nine Nights I'm not lending! They have to buy their own! (Yes, I do need some work on my attachment!)

Cheya

Both books were written by Master Liao.

I know, Nine Nights is pricey, but I haven't regretted the expense for a moment! Both books have really fed my practice, and my motivation to practice. I don't know if advanced practitioners would find them as helpful....

Night Nights is Master Liao's translation of the Tao Te Ching embedded in a teaching novel. Chi: How to Feel Your Life Energy is a very simple non-fiction book that tells you why you're cultivating chi, and how to start doing it in a very simple straightforward way. So simple, in fact, that I was initially sorry I'd chucked out $25 for the book. But it's simplicity is a big plus, and I have 3 people wanting to borrow the book already. I'm going to reread it for about the fourth time before I start lending it out! Nine Nights I'm not lending! They have to buy their own! (Yes, I do need some work on my attachment!)

Cheya

I wasn't referring to the price of the book..it was my poor attempt at some humor..nine nights with a taoist master sounds a bit painful..hey, I thought it was funny.

T

Thanks to all of you for the useful information and links. I will be sure to check those books out. And thank you, bd2, for the link on discipline, which is something I am lacking. I seem to take up Buddhist meditation for a few weeks, then fall out of it for some reason, so I'm hoping I won't do this with the Daoist practices.

Thanks to all of you for the useful information and links. I will be sure to check those books out. And thank you, bd2, for the link on discipline, which is something I am lacking. I seem to take up Buddhist meditation for a few weeks, then fall out of it for some reason, so I'm hoping I won't do this with the Daoist practices.

Yo Inner-space cadet-

I like the tag you've chosen. You seem to be pretty self-aware already.

Know thy self is the best start I can think of. admiting our needs and addressing them. You got that.

You seem to be very honest and what is of great value in this -honest with your self.

The spiritual path is usually discribed as a quest or seeking or searching, this is because answers come in many forms from many directions and we each learn what we need to know when we are able to get it. Before then we may have been exposed to knowledge but we just weren't ready to get it yet.

So explore and follow-up on what appeals to you. There is no set path for all of us -just trial and error and growth in small measure or when we start to get something important in a flood.

Inklings, satori, revelation, epiphany -there are names for the progress we glean. Keep your self as open and honest as you portray yrself to be here and now -

You will realize that you are already on the way. Your way.

Namaste-Pat

Currently I am trying just to do my job as a librarian and "set no store by it" as the Dao De Jing recommends,

but for so long I have felt insecure about losing my job, or not doing a good enough job that I'm finding it

difficult to live by this advice.

"Set no store by it" does'nt mean quit your job or perform it carelessly, in such a way as to get yourself

terminated. It basically means not to become too attached or dependent upon it, as though your very survival

and social identity depended on it. Performing your job to the best of your ability is a way to practice the Tao.

Feel good about doing a good job, and feel bad about doing a bad job. There is a time and place for everything

under the sun. Practicing the Tao is largely about good timing: moving when it is time to move, and resting

when it is time to rest, etc. Sleeping on the job is bad timing, so feel bad about it, if you have just reason.

Don't feel bad because you like your job and want to be a good librarian. Good librarians are a blessing! ;)

Also the book says that "the sage prefers what is within to what is without" but I get so caught up in listening

to music, watching TV, impulse spending, etc. I'm finding it hard to detach from these things.

Hey, you're only human, like the rest of us! ;) There is nothing inherently wrong with these activities,

so long as you approach them in the right manner, and with good timing, as previously intimated.

Following your inner impulses is a good thing, so long as they are leading you in the right direction. That

requires some training, however, as not all our impulses are inherently good by nature, so we must learn

to discern between good and bad impulses. Here's what Hexagram 25 says about that:-

Man has received from heaven a nature innately good, to guide him in all his movements. By devotion

to this divine spirit within himself, he attains an unsullied innocence that leads him to do right with instinctive

sureness and without any ulterior thought of reward and personal advantage. This instinctive certainty brings

about supreme success and "furthers through perseverance". However, not everything instinctive is nature in

this higher sense of the word, but only that which is right and in accord with the will of heaven. Without this

quality of rightness, an unreflecting, instinctive way of acting brings only misfortune. Confucius says about

this: "He who departs from innocence, what does he come to? Heaven's will and blessing do not

go with his deeds."

Regarding your listening to music, here's what Hexagram 16 says about that:-

"Music has power to ease tension within the heart and to loosen the grip of obscure emotions. The enthusiasm

of the heart expresses itself involuntarily in a burst of song, in dance and rhythmic movement of the body.

From immemorial times the inspiring effect of the invisible sound that moves all hearts, and draws them

together, has mystified mankind.

"Rulers have made use of this natural taste for music; they elevated and regulated it. Music was looked

upon as something serious and holy, designed to purify the feelings of men. It fell to music to glorify the

virtues of heroes and thus to construct a bridge to the world of the unseen. In the temple men drew near

to God with music and pantomimes (out of this later the theater developed)."

Music helps us to get in touch with our feelings; there is nothing inherently wrong about that, so long as it

is the right kind of music; and you make it part of your practice of the Tao. However, it is also possible for

music to obstruct your practice, if you allow it too. It is "natural" to feel remorseful about that. If your music

listening is harmonious and balanced, then be joyful about it! The same applies to TV, obviously. However, if

and when they ever begin to control you, then they are no longer harmonious. That is equally obvious, I'm

inclined to say. ;)

Look for the Tao of all things, harmonize with it, and cultivate acceptance of the Present Time. Practicing the

Tao requires presence of mind; being aware and mindful at all times, and not lost in the moment. When your

intellect and will properly centered, your emotional life will become harmonious; and not controlling. Being

controlled by emotion and passion is inauspicious, to say the least. Work on being properly centered in all

things, whatever you do or don't do. Balance and harmony is the Great Way. It's that easy, and that simple!

Pat the Wayfarer has given some good advice regarding the I Ching. You would be wise to heed it. Peace!

In the spirit of the Tao,

Yen Hui

Sign in to follow this