JustBHappy

Happy Ghost month!

A few days late, but happy ghost month bums. :mellow:

Good time for lighting some incense to feed the hungry ghosts and pay respects to your ancestors.

Bad time for swimming, whistling, and all kinds of other things if you believe in them.

I think the main day for putting out the offerings, the main ghost festival day is the 21st this year. So get your ghost money, incense, fruit, and other offerings ready. Oh and don't hang out clothes to dry at night, or pick up red envolopes in the street, and watch what you say about the departed even better yet don't say the word "ghosts"......Traditionally not a good time to schedule surguries, weddings, sign contracts, move, etc..... Just generally not very auspicious until the gates of hell close again and the ghosts return.

The gates of hell close again on the 5th of September (full moon) and like I said, the main festival day for offerings is the 21st of August (new moon).

Edited by JustBHappy
  • Like 3

A few days late, but happy ghost month bums. :mellow:

Good time for lighting some incense to feed the hungry ghosts and pay respects to your ancestors.

Bad time for swimming, whistling, and all kinds of other things if you believe in them.

I think the main day for putting out the offerings, the main ghost festival day is the 21st this year. So get your ghost money, incense, fruit, and other offerings ready. Oh and don't hang out clothes to dry at night, or pick up red envolopes in the street, and watch what you say about the departed even better yet don't say the word "ghosts"......Traditionally not a good time to schedule surguries, weddings, sign contracts, move, etc..... Just generally not very auspicious until the gates of hell close again and the ghosts return.

The gates of hell close again on the 5th of September (full moon) and like I said, the main festival day for offerings is the 21st of August (new moon).

I dont think its happy ghost month.It should be hungry ghost festival month :D

• Like 1

I dont think its happy ghost month.It should be hungry ghost festival month :D

If they are fed and well-regarded, they will be happy indeed, and many obstacles can be averted! :)

• Like 1

If they are fed and well-regarded, they will be happy indeed, and many obstacles can be averted! :)

ya once they are fed up they will leave you in peace :)

• Like 1

I'm curious as to why this time of year in particular? From other traditions I'm used to ghosts and etc. being less active during the hot and sunny times, and more active (and the veil more open) late October/Early November. I'm wondering if it is a change of calendar thing, a star thing, a season thing, or?

I'm curious as to why this time of year in particular? From other traditions I'm used to ghosts and etc. being less active during the hot and sunny times, and more active (and the veil more open) late October/Early November. I'm wondering if it is a change of calendar thing, a star thing, a season thing, or?

what hemisphere/part of the world?

All the Chinese festivals are based upon the Lunar calendar. That's why they are always on a different date from year to year. Ghost month is always the 7th lunar month.

• Like 2

wow, I rally like this thread! :lol: I wantto learn more!

Especially about a/the lunar calendar!! Isnt it a 13 month calendar? I would love to learn more :)

Yes 13 month Lunar

Easter is calclated via the same method.

Easter Sunday is the Sunday following the Paschal Full Moon date for the year

Easter being based on the old Pagan holiday based in Spring equinox though, which is an event based on the the seasons. So I'm curious if some of the Chinese calendar holidays act this way as well? :)

Yes, Ishtar/Astarte

Easter being based on the old Pagan holiday based in Spring equinox though, which is an event based on the the seasons.

I think there are different versions. I only know the Tibetan/Chinese lunar calendars and they are 12 or 13 months. No reason to worry about how it's all calculated in my opinion. Easy enough to just get a calendar or check online when needed.

The moon, as you will find out if you really get into Taoism/Buddhism and Chinese/Tibetan thought is quite powerful and obvious. It's not too hard to tell when it's a new moon or full moon. The lunar month begins/ends on new moons. Pretty simple really. For example Chinese New Year is always on a new moon and it's the first day/night of the lunar calendar. All the Chinese holidays as well as the Tibetan and Buddhist holidays are always based upon the lunar calendar and then translated onto the solar calendar for us westerners so we can plan accordingly. The lunar calendar is very common in Asia and most holidays are all based upon it.

Once you start noticing, and paying attention to the moon, you will become aware of how powerful it really is. It effects us all as well as the planet we live on. To be in touch with the Tao is to be in touch with the moon energy. To ignore it, is well....ignorant. Westerners in general are not in touch with this basic energy cycle and Asians are losing it as the desire for western ways grows and spreads.

You can take the understanding as deep as you wish. Both the superficial surface understanding as well as the more subtle will benefit your life as you get in touch with it and learn to apply it in your world. The moon is the great reminder of the cyclic and impermanent constantly changing nature of life. The yin grows until it's peak when it is forced to start yielding to the growing yang energy which then of course follows the same "grow-expand-peak-contract-yield" cycle. It's a beautiful example of what is happening in our minds/bodies and the world around us all the time. I stress, that to deeply understand the moon is to also understand the Tao.

• Like 3

FYI....
The full moon is always on the 15th day of every lunar month. There are 29 or 30 days in a lunar month. All Chinese holidays go with the seasons, yes.

• Like 2

I opened this thread and the friendly household ghost made itself known. Never thought about leaving food offerings before...mostly because I'm not aware enough of them to know if what I'm doing is correct or what not.

• Like 1

I opened this thread and the friendly household ghost made itself known. Never thought about leaving food offerings before...mostly because I'm not aware enough of them to know if what I'm doing is correct or what not.

this might give you a little taste of how its done in the East...

• Like 1

I find the best oriental restaurants are the ones that have small altars and food 'offerings'. Out of curiosity, what happens to the food later? Is it thrown out? Eaten? Ceremonially disposed of?

this might give you a little taste of how its done in the East...

The flower petal designs are awesome! :) Quite the feast too.

I find the best oriental restaurants are the ones that have small altars and food 'offerings'. Out of curiosity, what happens to the food later? Is it thrown out? Eaten? Ceremonially disposed of?

That's true! I feel bad for the ghosts that get the fake fruit and fake candles though!