Sign in to follow this  
ssmith7

I could use some help identifying a particular experience

There is stillness all around, now. I imagine it has always been there. Both inside my body, your body, and all the 'space' that seperates us and everything else. What is interesting about this empty stillness is that it can act as a medium for consciousness to travel through. I am not sure if the stillness and consciousness are mutually exclusive sources. It is through this space that I am able to connect with other sentient beings, feeling their energy, transmitting my own, etc. It is possible, I believe, to stay in contact with this empty stillness all day without mental strain. To wear it within you. In fact, this stillness seems to exists seperately from intellectual cogitation entirely.

I know you must know what I am speaking of. What do you call it? Is it the seat of the eternal? Is this the 'void' that I am sensing from within my own body?

Again, thank you for the time and consideration

• Like 3

There is stillness all around, now. I imagine it has always been there. Both inside my body, your body, and all the 'space' that seperates us and everything else. What is interesting about this empty stillness is that it can act as a medium for consciousness to travel through. I am not sure if the stillness and consciousness are mutually exclusive sources. It is through this space that I am able to connect with other sentient beings, feeling their energy, transmitting my own, etc. It is possible, I believe, to stay in contact with this empty stillness all day without mental strain. To wear it within you. In fact, this stillness seems to exists seperately from intellectual cogitation entirely.
I know you must know what I am speaking of. What do you call it? Is it the seat of the eternal? Is this the 'void' that I am sensing from within my own body?

Ssmith7: welcome to the Beauty.

The stillness is present everywhere as you say, I personally think it helps to describe it as Settledness and in that way people we are talking with don't think it refers to a state of not-moving; something that is flying or running can be equally still. This presence is the expression of "That-Which-Is" - read the Tao Te Ching V16 for instance, or the Psalms for "Be still and know that I am God" or Buddha in the Sutra of Complete Enlightenment "following enlightenment, cultivate stillness"...this is the Oneness of IT. So the consciousness that you sense is ITs consciousness and not individual thought, it is the wisdom we each share that is timeless and is not added to or detracted from during our lives.

The stillness you hold contact with throughout the day is your True-Self; that which requires no thought. This True-Self, is the true-face of all things for they only share a single profile - now you have begun to see it, feel it, know it. This is why the old zen masters would say "regard the inanimate to know the Self". It is both outside your body and within it because your body is not what you are; you are without boundary, that which is vast but takes up no space. If you think 'you' and 'other-than-you' still exist - try this exercise:

hold contact with the feeling of the presence of stillness within you. Look to clouds (particularly on a bright day) or to the stillness of trees (especially evergreen) then you will 'know' beyond the intellect that you are both within and without, you are One. Forgive me if you are 'there' already. It is the emptiness that is full, the fullness that is empty.

Wonderful.

Heath

• Like 2

deleted this post as probably confused matters rather than helped :)

Edited by Wayfarer

I think what you are referring to is entering into or becoming aware of the quality of stillness itself, not a thing that exists objectively.... For example the statement that stillness exists does not makes sense, but he is still, or it is still: do make sense.

So carrying that quality of your energy is all you are really talking about it seems.

There is however a phenomenon called "the field" in short for the zero point field discovered by physicists that is a field of energy which exists even at absolute zero temperatures. I believe it is this field that you are really trying to understand...it takes stillness to become aware of it but movement of thought or focus or intention to influence it. There is a good book written about it simply called, " The Field."

What you are describing is being deeper (or higher) in consciousness. It is not the void. In the void, there is "nothing" to sense/feel. As you go deeper, you will start to realize that there are not really seperate beings and things like "your" energy.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 2

Thank you, Heath. These were my thoughts, as well. Have you ever connected with the Void by meditating on this empty space that surrounds, engulf, and is within all things?

Thank you, Heath. These were my thoughts, as well. Have you ever connected with the Void by meditating on this empty space that surrounds, engulf, and is within all things?

Hello again,

The closest way I can explain to the experience of what I think you refer to is 'knowing'. I don't 'think' the Void, connect with it or have communion with it, I am it but to think cognitively is different than it thinking through me. It's like there is a wisdom there that has the answers and there comes a point where I no longer have any questions. I just 'know'. It's listening to the space in us rather than thoughts in us. Such thoughts arise when our ear is deaf to that which doesn't speak.

On another level, this and what I said before opens a few big doors...the 'me' that is Heath and the 'you' that is S.Smith are the same thing. I don't believe that this means I can read your thoughts but the knowing "I" have is the knowing "you" have - so we share the Wisdom. Thoughts arise from a metaphorical distancing from IT, whereas its nature is that of knowing without an awareness of knowing - this isn't basic spirituallity lol, so hard to put into words.

So a slight difference between our view (or at least how I have interpreted it) is that you describe the space as being a "medium for consciousness to travel through", whereas I see that space as being consciousness itself, so it has nowhere to travel - our idea of distance relies on there being more than one thing but when there is only One, there is neither here nor there, so nothing travels - the Heath and the S.Smith are everywhere, as everywhere is nowhere, there is only a single place.

Your 'connection' may be much stronger and more developed than mine - it something for you to explore for yourself and not take my understanding as being true. To me, everything speaks a single language. When you are Aware of the silence that speaks, it can be seen in animals, it speaks through plants and through rocks - we are all speaking the same language but we don't notice it generally unless we first notice the Silence.

So you may be right and I may be wrong; perhaps this 'space' allows for telepathy, for astral projection etc. The one thing I am certain of is that is the Nameless. And when we have known it for sometime (depending upon the trigger that caused the awakening to it), we reach a stage where we do not think about 'IT', we go about being without thinking of being - so there is an unconscious engagement with not-thinking. Like how we were before around 18 months old; all appears like a something but we are not yet aware we are different from that something.

Hope this helps and sorry to have waffled on.

Best wishes and hope to continue this wonderful discussion.

Heath

• Like 2

Sorry forgot to say in answer to your point about meditation and "It is possible, I believe, to stay in contact with this empty stillness all day without mental strain. To wear it within you. In fact, this stillness seems to exists seperately from intellectual cogitation entirely."

I entirely agree. 'Meditation' becomes something that is not sitting down but everything we do. It is a kind of gently holding that presence that space within. So this, is like that 'language' all things speak, it is the energy you refer to also. And out of interest if you are doing an exercise that involves much endurance you can keep your energy within that space and not get as tired. This is what Wang Zhe refers to as Cloud Wandering (at least to me!)

Heath

• Like 1

IMHO...

Anything that is an 'experience' that seems to be 'attained' and 'perceived' is not Tao/Self/etc, but a phenomenon on the path. Don't cling to this experience and reify it as something ultimate.

This stillness is a subtle foundation to forms, and consciousness functions in relation to it as they are complementary opposites. Neither of them are Tao because they are two phenomena which affect each other.

Tao is beyond forms and consciousness, so realising Tao won't be an experience with a sense of attainment, but an inconceivable switch (with no actual change from the highest perspective) to a completely different state of being neither one way or the other, and not in between or both either. :)

• Like 1

So a slight difference between our view (or at least how I have interpreted it) is that you describe the space as being a "medium for consciousness to travel through", whereas I see that space as being consciousness itself, so it has nowhere to travel - our idea of distance relies on there being more than one thing but when there is only One, there is neither here nor there, so nothing travels - the Heath and the S.Smith are everywhere, as everywhere is nowhere, there is only a single place.

Your 'connection' may be much stronger and more developed than mine - it something for you to explore for yourself and not take my understanding as being true. To me, everything speaks a single language. When you are Aware of the silence that speaks, it can be seen in animals, it speaks through plants and through rocks - we are all speaking the same language but we don't notice it generally unless we first notice the Silence.

So you may be right and I may be wrong; perhaps this 'space' allows for telepathy, for astral projection etc. The one thing I am certain of is that is the Nameless. And when we have known it for sometime (depending upon the trigger that caused the awakening to it), we reach a stage where we do not think about 'IT', we go about being without thinking of being - so there is an unconscious engagement with not-thinking. Like how we were before around 18 months old; all appears like a something but we are not yet aware we are different from that something.

You are both describing the same thing, just different relative depths (or clarity) of consciousness. Heath's description would be deeper (or higher) as there is the realization that there is no real separation (or anyplace to go).

Heath - have you ever merged (or directly shared presence) with another being? Directly sharing presence is the basis of light transmissions.

• Like 1

Heath - have you ever merged (or directly shared presence) with another being? Directly sharing presence is the basis of light transmissions.

Hi Jeff, no I haven't. I've tried to explain it to people and so far only one person I know of has awakened but that was mainly because I kept forcing the conversation to a particular route rather than directly sharing something. Do you mean in the sense as Buddha with Kashyapa after he awakened on observing the flower and later he transmitted Mind with mind (which I confess to not being sure what this means as I didn't think anything could be 'transmitted')?

Interesting stuff. Heath, I think you are spot on! I can only connect with that vast space when I am present and in the moment. In complete "I AM" presence. I know that this vast space is consciousness, but I have yet to realize it as such. It feels separate even though it is so close, runs through everything, and is the reference point for which all thoughts, emotions, actions, inside/out, theirs/yours/mine are recognized. It is also easier to connect with the emotional or stuff of "others" using the space. Probably not because "I am connecting to them" so to speak, but because I am recognizing the Greater Self in 'them/us' and feeling from that perspective.

To the point about feeling as though consciousness spreads through the space: It feels as if my internal consciousness can spread out to meet this space when I move into the Astral realm. In the Astral realm, the space is a bit easier to identify with as "I AM" because wherever there is space or form, there is consciousness. I mean, you can go anywhere because you are already everywhere... So we call it nowhere. It is my practice, now, to loosen the grip of form identity and realize more of space/consciousness identity.

As to your point about knowing without thinking: Spot on! There are moments during out of body experiences where entire languages can be understood using pure knowing power. To call it a power is a bit dramatic, but I believe you know what I am saying. It is like having perfect intuition. I cannot say that I have access to this while I write this, but it is who we all are at the core. You have identified it in your post.

Thank goodness for this online community. One can begin to think they are going nuts if they cannot share with others.

I am interested in light transmission. What is it about? I've recently become interested in Maharashi, a being that was said to "know" everything. Since he was fully realized, I believe he simply knew things without seeking.

Thank you

• Like 1

To Seeker of Tao:

An obstacle for me is in clinging to new 'spiritual souvenirs'. Your post was helpful.

Thank you

Interesting stuff. Heath, I think you are spot on! I can only connect with that vast space when I am present and in the moment. In complete "I AM" presence. I know that this vast space is consciousness, but I have yet to realize it as such. It feels separate even though it is so close, runs through everything, and is the reference point for which all thoughts, emotions, actions, inside/out, theirs/yours/mine are recognized. It is also easier to connect with the emotional or stuff of "others" using the space. Probably not because "I am connecting to them" so to speak, but because I am recognizing the Greater Self in 'them/us' and feeling from that perspective.

To the point about feeling as though consciousness spreads through the space: It feels as if my internal consciousness can spread out to meet this space when I move into the Astral realm. In the Astral realm, the space is a bit easier to identify with as "I AM" because wherever there is space or form, there is consciousness. I mean, you can go anywhere because you are already everywhere... So we call it nowhere. It is my practice, now, to loosen the grip of form identity and realize more of space/consciousness identity.

As to your point about knowing without thinking: Spot on! There are moments during out of body experiences where entire languages can be understood using pure knowing power. To call it a power is a bit dramatic, but I believe you know what I am saying. It is like having perfect intuition. I cannot say that I have access to this while I write this, but it is who we all are at the core. You have identified it in your post.

Thank goodness for this online community. One can begin to think they are going nuts if they cannot share with others.

I am interested in light transmission. What is it about? I've recently become interested in Maharashi, a being that was said to "know" everything. Since he was fully realized, I believe he simply knew things without seeking.

Thank you

Hi, thanks for sharing once again. I found it difficult to experience some of these things without the help of someone to share them with. TB is a great forum as there are many people here who speak very eloquently about what they know etc. We are really a little like those ancient Taoist and Zen masters coming together once in a while to discuss the Tao.

The key reason for my response here is that I believe things need to 'develop' naturally of their own. What we have been discussing all along are 'triggers' rather than the big bang. You are getting loads and loads of triggers, so if you have not yet had the OMG realisation it can only be a matter of time but it happens of itself. For me, I had started a Buddhist group and began a 2-year foundation course to understand more about it and the second book we read was called the Two Truths. I wondered what was meant by this, and read three hundred pages of Tibetan beliefs of the relative truth but no one seemed to explain what the Absolute truth was. I got frustrated at the course thinking if it is the Truth it will be simple. So I jacked it in, sat in the garden and noticed this presence within but alas it went in a flash. After sitting more, it came back long enough for me to notice it was a presence of ever-lasting stillness - a peace without end. When one day it went from my stomach to my face I wondered if this was my True-Face, etc. Some weeks later while getting out of bed I glanced up at a cloud and felt, saw, heard that same presence in the sky and BAM I got it, the same as getting a joke. And no matter how simple you think it is, it is more simple.

In that flash I understood all of Buddhas teachings but for Impermanence and Compassion which I meditated on for about a year until I got it. Some four years on and my understanding is far greater than it was then and it has all come of its own accord by doing what you are doing - paying attention to it.

Now while it is true, and it has been said here, thinking of I AM and being aware of I AM is not our natural state - the state of 'complete' reality but I'd argue it is very difficult to arrive at this state of no-thought and no awareness of IT by denying it, as denying it is thinking about denying it! There is a big difference between denying self and experiencing no-self.

You are that which already knows. Let it speak to you in its own way - you can decide not to think about it afterwards!

Best wishes,

Heath

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff, no I haven't. I've tried to explain it to people and so far only one person I know of has awakened but that was mainly because I kept forcing the conversation to a particular route rather than directly sharing something. Do you mean in the sense as Buddha with Kashyapa after he awakened on observing the flower and later he transmitted Mind with mind (which I confess to not being sure what this means as I didn't think anything could be 'transmitted')?

It depends on how you define "mind", but yes, I meant the direct sharing.

Best wishes,

Jeff

I wouldn't say that it "exists seperately from intellectual cogitation entirely"

Because that would suggest "we" have a sufficient understanding of what that cogitation is about.

Once one part is in motion, the rest is in play.

how you know its in other people body??hope you can explain more so that I can share some of my experience and able to clear your doubt

I wouldn't say that it "exists seperately from intellectual cogitation entirely"

Because that would suggest "we" have a sufficient understanding of what that cogitation is about.

Once one part is in motion, the rest is in play.

Yes, good point. Essentially, even if I think something really bad it is still the One and not separate - nothing is separate and yet my naming it the "one" distances myself from that I am not separate from.

I suppose it is a little like the Bible says - the devil is our thinking (as our thoughts get in the way of noticing God). That's enough thinking from me for now lol.

Sign in to follow this