Sign in to follow this  
SonOfTheGods

Science Confirms an Age-Old Remedy for Gray Hair and Baldness

Onion juice. Hundreds of years ago, famed herbalist John Gerard (1545- 1612) wrote: "the juyce of onions annointed upon a bald head in the sun bringeth the hair againe very speedily."

"Thoust head may stinketh thoughest"

• Like 1

funny how these articles don't give the equation - catalase breaks hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water.

hmmm....

So seems like sun would increase hydrogen peroxide - "bleaching" your hair into gray?

Exposure to the sun removes blue molecules from your hair that naturally prevent your hair from yellowing. Chemically, bleach creates the same effect that sun exposure does, removing the blue molecules and leaving the gray.

hmmm....

So I threw an onion in the blender and explained to my mom the science and then I poured it on my beard and hair.

So then I was restaining a part of the deck where I had scrubbed too hard some bird crap that had cemented to the deck.

The stain was too lite -- not mixed - not dark enough tone. I had some darker tone but it was dried up in the can.

So I go to ask my sister since she works with paints and she comes outside and I'm showing her the paint can and she starts gagging.

I go - what's wrong - don't you work with paints? Aren't you used to the smell?

She can not even talk to answer. haha.

Then she finally goes - why is your hair all white? What's in it?

Oh that's onion juice.

Oh that's why I was gagging.

I go -- oh yeah.

She goes - Do you have issues?

I go - no it's science. Ask mom about it.

She asks my mom:

Oh he read something.

haha. Man it was hilarious.

So then I look in the mirror and it's just smeared onions all over my beard. haha.

• Like 3

So I threw an onion in the blender and explained to my mom the science and then I poured it on my beard and hair.

So then I was restaining a part of the deck where I had scrubbed too hard some bird crap that had cemented to the deck.

The stain was too lite -- not mixed - not dark enough tone. I had some darker tone but it was dried up in the can.

So I go to ask my sister since she works with paints and she comes outside and I'm showing her the paint can and she starts gagging.

I go - what's wrong - don't you work with paints? Aren't you used to the smell?

She can not even talk to answer. haha.

Then she finally goes - why is your hair all white? What's in it?

Oh that's onion juice.

Oh that's why I was gagging.

I go -- oh yeah.

She goes - Do you have issues?

I go - no it's science. Ask mom about it.

She asks my mom:

Oh he read something.

haha. Man it was hilarious.

So then I look in the mirror and it's just smeared onions all over my beard. haha.

CLASSIC!

so the onion juice soaked into my hair and the onion smell was very strong - also soaked into my skull apparently - onion breath even...

So.... then I looked into this online - sure enough a lot of people wondering how to get rid of the onion smell!

ummm... different suggestions - someone said chilis or cayenne. I looked that up and someone else said they tried it but it didn't work...

yeah someone else said the chemicals in onions are same as used when someone gets a perm so .... try to find out how to get rid of perm smell....

But.... anyway.... someone was using some kind of hair spray scent -

not for me.

Personally I don't mind the smell - but maybe I'll do this once a week as it takes close to a week for the smell to clear out totally....

so I figure it's probably still working if the smell is still there.

Yeah I trimmed my beard - so will be interesting to see how it grows back in....

pfl,

do you have grey hair?

i suspect that you might have at least some grey and that is why you are trying this.

but with you, i never know if you are just experimenting for the sake of experimenting.

pfl,

do you have grey hair?

i suspect that you might have at least some grey and that is why you are trying this.

but with you, i never know if you are just experimenting for the sake of experimenting.

yeah I posted a close up on my blog.

See the thing is that it's just my beard but like David said - I got about 3 times more brown hair than gray.

But the thing is that what was gray was actually blonde hair last summer!!

So I know for a fact that it got bleached gray - this hydrogen peroxide thing is real!!

Because I am outside in the sun a lot more than I used to be.....

but I figured - o.k. people shave their beards more and so then the melanin runs out faster since it has to regrow more often....

so then that is part of it also I'm sure.

But yeah melanin is a pigment - you can eat pigments also -- catalase is an enzyme.... is it a pigment?

Zinc induces catalase expression in cultured fetal human retinal ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9330853‎
by DJ Tate Jr - ‎1997 - ‎Cited by 21 - ‎Related articles
PURPOSE: We have previously shown that an experimental, low-zinc environment decreased catalase activity in cultured human fetal retinal pigment epithelial

My photo I posted in my blog...

IMG_0604.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah I lost weight since then - so my cheeks aren't as plump. haha.

Jim told me to go on a diet - that was easy since I was eating all the bacon fat and tons of eggs, etc. haha.

Then last time I saw him on Friday he goes - you lost weight! Yep.

So you can see some "white" hair - I thought it was blonde and it was blonde last summer.....

So at first I was in denial....

but yeah I figure - if science says why hair turns grey - that's an amazing discovery!

Yeah I am - well eccentric - what did Jim say - well I guess if you want to guard yourself against intimacy!

haha. That was classic.

I go - exactly!

haha.

Since I'm a hermit.

But I think the smell can be covered up with probably cinnamon - and....

oh yeah I got horsemint in the meadow - terpenes -- ...

hold on...

A Practical Treatise on Animal and Vegetable Fats and Oils: Comprising Both by William Theodore Brannt, Karl Schaedler (1896)

"According to H. Schrotter, horsemint oil contains 50 per cent, of a levo-rotatory terpene, ... Further the thymol from fresh horsemint oil is said to be ..."

so thymol is the active ingredient in lysterine....

terpenoid odor - it might counteract the onion sulfur-based odor -they're both antibacterial but in different ways....

Here is part of an abstract from a research article, so sulfur compounds have been found, maybe this has a particularly high content... I have a great nose for aromas:

Volatile constituents of ripe fruits of 16 Capsicum accessions from the annuum−chinense−frutescens complex, with different aroma impressions and geographical origins, were isolated by headspace-solid phase microextraction (HS-SPME) and analyzed by gas chromatography−olfactometry−mass spectrometry (GC-sniffing port-MS). More than 300 individual compounds could be detected in the studied genotypes; most of them could be identified by comparing mass spectra and retention times with authentic reference substances or literature data. Esters and terpenoids were the main groups, although other minor compounds, such as nitrogen and sulfur compounds, phenol derivatives, norcarotenoids, lipoxygenase derivatives, carbonyls, alcohols, and other hydrocarbons, were also identified.

hmm. .. so that claim that cayenne would get rid of onion smell - turns out the main odor in cayenne in terpenoid....

but also has a secret onion smell to it....

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35545-onion-bhut-organosulfur-compounds-in-capsicum/

so lemon juice is the home remedy for onion smell.....

I wonder if it needs to be fresh lemons squeezed.

That store bought lemon juice doesn't have much smell -- probably no live enzymes....

No-Fenol » Enzymes » Store » Houston Enzymes

www.houston-enzymes.com › Store › Enzymes‎
The current hypothesis for why No-Fenol may help is through the ability of the enzymes in this product to remove the carbohydrate groups from the phenols, thus .

Oxidation of phenolic compounds by the bifunctional catalase ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22370948
by AG Koclar - ‎2012 - ‎Cited by 1 - ‎Related articles
Feb 28, 2012 - The thermophilic fungus Scytalidium thermophilum produces a novel bifunctional catalase with an additional phenol oxidase activity (CATPO); ..
Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2008 Apr;21(2):200-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-148X.2007.00432.x.
Correlation between melanogenic and catalase activity in in vitro human melanocytes: a synergic strategy against oxidative stress.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18426413

yep....

In melanocytes, catalase is the main enzyme responsible for degrading hydrogen peroxide and we have previously shown that that low basal levels of catalase activity are associated with the light phototype in in vitro and ex vivo models. Here we investigate the possible correlation between its activity and melanogenesis in primary cultures of human melanocytes. We show that while the total melanin concentration is directly correlated to the level of pigmentation, the more the degree of pigmentation increased, the lower the proportion of pheomelanin present. Moreover, in human melanocytes in vitro, catalase-specific mRNA, protein and enzymatic activity were all directly correlated with total cellular melanin content. We also observed that immediately after a peroxidative treatment, the increase in reactive oxygen species was inversely associated with pigmentation level. Darkly pigmented melanocytes therefore possess two protective strategies represented by melanins and catalase activity that are likely to act synergistically to counteract the deleterious effects of UV radiation. By contrast, lightly pigmented melanocytes possess lower levels of melanogenic and catalase activity and are therefore more susceptible to accumulate damage after UV exposition.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

yeah I read that one online....

I find it hilarious when these ladies online do the onion juice on their hair and then can't get the stink out. haha.

Me - I don't care if my hair stinks - the smell is faint now - I never did anything to get it out. Barely even use Dr. Braggs soap in my hair - just dilute it tons - so I get the most Vitamin D into my scalp from the sun....

but I'm a hermit so I can do these things.

Parsley juice, Drew. Also a strong decoction of powdered fennel, cumin, caraway seeds -- use as a rinse.

Parsley juice, Drew. Also a strong decoction of powdered fennel, cumin, caraway seeds -- use as a rinse.

Sounds good. Yep chlorine is what gets rid of garlic smell so should work for onions too.

yeah I've just been eating lots of burdock leaves - bitter greens.

umm so maybe blend those up for a hair tonic or whatever.

ummm.... I really liked the onion treatment - the smell doesn't bother me - but I do go to the SFQ Center every 2 weeks. haha.

One lady online said the smell lasted 6 months!! ummm not sure how many treatments she did.

yeah also Spring Forest Qigong Master Jim Nance can smell over the phone!

I had on my stinky work tennis shoes last night so apologized to him. haha. I took them off but my feet still smelled from the shoes.

Yeah normally I wear burdock leaves in the shoes since the leaves are antibacterial....

So then my sister visited and goes - umm - so why do you have leaves hanging out of your shoes? hahaha.

That actually works pretty well - the shoes smell less.

Yep. compared to when I ate 3 bulbs of garlic a day !! Wow my skin is permanently yellow from all the sulfur! hahaha.

But I ate tons of cilantro and parsley with that garlic or else it would have been way worse.

Burdock leaves won't do anything for the hair but burdock root oil is an efficient remedy for hair loss. Washes out leaving no smell behind too.

Oh, and nettle -- that's quite spectacular. You make a paste and rub into the scalp for hair loss, but even a simple rinse with strong nettle tea will give your hair the shine you've never seen before.

Edited by Taomeow

Sign in to follow this