Sign in to follow this  
gandlu

Hi everyone

Hi everyone

I am a new member, female, German, and interested in "The Tao".

I am practicing sitting in Half Lotus, and now can manage 1 hour. However, full lotus is very painful after 30 seconds...

How long before this full lotus is possible??

Is it really critical to be in full lotus?

Anyone like to share?

Hi gandlu, welcome to the Tao Bums.

Please read the two posts, pinned to the top of the Lobby.

Then you're free to go.

Basher

Welcome,

Edited by skydog

Hi everyone

I am a new member, female, German, and interested in "The Tao".

I am practicing sitting in Half Lotus, and now can manage 1 hour. However, full lotus is very painful after 30 seconds...

How long before this full lotus is possible??

Is it really critical to be in full lotus?

Anyone like to share?

welcome.....

If you cant do it, please don't force yourself. It is really not that critical but your pain and breathing are.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Welcome! :)

About the lotus-position: it's really a matter of being able to outwardly rotate the femur (the hip-bone) enough to let the knees close safely while still being able to place the foot in the groin, with the heel pointing to the navel.

This movement in the hip is usually not similar on both sides of the body, so it's typical that we hit the knees instead of the the deep hip-musculature while practicing and learning lotus.

Here is a good link for learning the lotus in a safe way:

When you can manage it, it's definitely a better stabilizing posture than the half-lotus, and it makes a solid foundation and base for the spine to rest upon. Also the psoas is easier accessible for deep diaphragmic bellybreathing.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Welcome! :)

About the lotus-position: it's really a matter of being able to outwardly rotate the femur (the hip-bone) enough to let the knees close safely while still being able to place the foot in the groin, with the heel pointing to the navel.

This movement in the hip is usually not similar on both sides of the body, so it's typical that we hit the knees instead of the the deep hip-musculature while practicing and learning lotus.

Here is a good link for learning the lotus in a safe way:

When you can manage it, it's definitely a better stabilizing posture than the half-lotus, and it makes a solid foundation and base for the spine to rest upon. Also the psoas is easier accessible for deep diaphragmic bellybreathing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the video drop of water. Much appreciated.

My 2 cents, Peace

Sign in to follow this