BaguaKicksAss

Is taking an entire bottle of melatonin safe?

I'm joking. But.. anyone have any get more sleep suggestions? Obviously the melatonin doesn't really work most of the time. Tylenol pm doesn't even work, and sometimes just makes me even more awake! The problem is usually when I'm traveling, which I do quite a bit of, and need a good nights sleep even more duirng those times.

Apparently exercising to utter exhaustion doesn't give more than an extra hour (though that extra hour was pretty nice, as was the all day bikeride lol).

Then once in awhile I'll learn or invent some new awesome qi technique which will work...a few times, then stop working again :(.

I'd be OK with the lack of sleep if I felt rested and functional the next day, but that isn't the case.

Suggestions?

Isochronic tones in the delta and theta range. Check out Transparent Corp.

• Like 1

I'm joking. But.. anyone have any get more sleep suggestions? Obviously the melatonin doesn't really work most of the time. Tylenol pm doesn't even work, and sometimes just makes me even more awake! The problem is usually when I'm traveling, which I do quite a bit of, and need a good nights sleep even more duirng those times.

Apparently exercising to utter exhaustion doesn't give more than an extra hour (though that extra hour was pretty nice, as was the all day bikeride lol).

Then once in awhile I'll learn or invent some new awesome qi technique which will work...a few times, then stop working again :(.

I'd be OK with the lack of sleep if I felt rested and functional the next day, but that isn't the case.

Suggestions?

Sex

I've never tried the sound waves, will try that :).

Meditation for 8 hours straight... well as a last resort lol. Better than thinking about work by far!

Sex... I in general try the retention thing, so that isn't a solution I can use very often... it does work though ;). Not an every night solution for sure though.

10mg gets me 2 hours sleep... so I take it in the middle of the night to get 2 more hours... doesn't always work though.

Now biofeedback might be an idea. It works well for many other things.

• Like 1

I've never tried the sound waves, will try that :). Meditation for 8 hours straight... well as a last resort lol. Better than thinking about work by far! Sex... I in general try the retention thing, so that isn't a solution I can use very often... it does work though ;). Not an every night solution for sure though.
You only live once, and you have a ready excuse:) I thought that retention thing was just for men , the thing says female.

rather than continue to treat yourself with drugs or add more stress to the condition by scrambling to find a technique to get rid of it, just let it run its course

Just stay up until you can't anymore. This issue can fix itself just fine without your assistance :)

• Like 1

Someone had a good point... don't work in the same room I sleep in. I do that far too often.. so get the whole thinking about work all day and evening thing going on sometimes. Traveling a lot doesn't help either I'm sure, however friends that travel with me sometimes seem to sleep just fine!

rather than continue to treat yourself with drugs or add more stress to the condition by scrambling to find a technique to get rid of it, just let it run its course

Just stay up until you can't anymore. This issue can fix itself just fine without your assistance :)

Not from what I have noticed, then after about a month I'm too trashed everyday to function. Fortunately this isn't all the time.

Damn 5am sunrise not helping lol.

Nope, for women too :). Just like guys, as we get older sex often does tend to drain energy/jing/etc.
Ok.. I was just thinking that not getting enough sleep doesn't help much jingwise either.

:)

• Like 1

Random suggestions I've come across:

No flickering screen lights for at least an hour (preferably two!) before bed. That means no TV, no computer, no e-reader.

Don't eat for 3 hours before bed.

Get a grounding mat or bracelet to sleep with (plug it into the electric ground in a hotel, out the window and into the ground, if you happen to live near some ground...)

Bruce Frantzis says to rotate your ankles 60 times in each direction. (I've tried this. 60 times is a LOT!)

Also, somewhere on TTB there's a post by Mark Foote about his idiosyncratic way of getting to sleep. It was a consciousness/perspective shift. Ah, here's the thread: look for Mark's post:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/24441-methods-to-enter-deep-sleep/

and here's his description of his method:

http://www.zenmudra.com/zenmudra-waking-up-and-falling-asleep.html

Good luck!

• Like 1

10mg gets me 2 hours sleep... so I take it in the middle of the night to get 2 more hours... doesn't always work though.

Now biofeedback might be an idea. It works well for many other things.

Valerian Root 450 mg, works! take up to 5 capsules at bedtime :blink:

Sex... I in general try the retention thing, so that isn't a solution I can use very often... it does work though ;). Not an every night solution for sure though.

Bagua, where did you get this idea that women should 'retain'? I'm not actually sure what you mean by this, even. Retain what?

btw, Full body breathing with intent to relax and heal always works beautifully for a relaxed sleep.

Breath in relaxation and calm

Breath out stress

with your pores and subtle body.

A no - fail system.

• Like 1

20mg of melatonin, 250mg of magnesium citrate(or less to start out with), 500mg L-Theanine, and chamomile tea.

If all else fails try listening to an audiobook while laying down (works better than you might think), and if that fails an antihistamine like Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

Listen to any of the talks by alan watts, he was an amazing speaker but laying down it will lull you to sleep in no time.

Suggestions?

• Like 2

I'm a fellow insomniac. I've found no long lasting solutions. Things work for a few days or weeks then stop :(.

I have over 15 different insomnia guided meditations. The one that tends to work best is a free podcast from Meditation Station. Not the Zzzzz, but the one called Evening Inventory Meditation. Its counter intuitive, but instead of relaxing you and telling you to sleep, it relaxes the body then has you recall any mistakes done over the day and let'em go.

I'll listen to it, then follow it up with a 20 minute 'natural sound of rain' program (I have several biaural rain style sounds). It worked for a few weeks, then occasionally, now only sometimes. I seem to gain resistance to any approach.

• Like 1

Traveling or being away from home is definitely an energetic weakness, at the mental and spiritual levels (as in a spiritual experience of losing your family and home due to your village being burned down). Loss and guilt/grief also came up as weaknesses around this specific event.

People have a lot of spiritual experiences around sleeping/not sleeping and bad things happening in the night. In my view, it's always best to address the energetic weaknesses first.

Mark's technique is nice because it really grounds you and gets you out of your 'head/thinking/mind'.

• Like 1