Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Zombie Run, Monk Walk

I'm really digging an exercise app I got for my smart phone. Its called Zombie Run 5K, its purpose is to get you from couch potato to running 5 k)ilometers. Its very entertaining. Within the 35 to 45 minute training there is a post apocalyptic story line with several threads going on as you're being trained as Runner 5. Great story line and good voice actors have created an immersive evolving story.

As I listen I imagine doing a similar program. Monk Walk-Moving towards Lightenment. A similar interactive story that punctuates 30 minute walks. I imagine it as the listener walking with 3 or 4 spiritual characters. At times each would tell a short fable, and/or give a short exercise to be done while walking or afterwards.

I'd have at least one protagonist, a jogger who'd run by and spit insults at the groups (eventually we'd win him over). I'd like some ongoing themes. And I'd probably kill off one of the older spiritual characters, just for fun and to causes a bit of drama. Actually the Bums is full of great fodder for such a program. There are insights, themes and problems here that get repeated.

Characters: A buddhist (Zen?), A taoist, and eclectic practitioner. Only 5 or 10 minutes of dialog per 30 minute walk. At least 1 exercise, though they can be repeated.

Because I'm a lazy newbie I imagine if I got down 25 or 30 'walk' dialogs I'd contact the Zombie Run people and pitch it to them to program. They already have the tools and talent to do a bang up job.

I'll probably start writing up some idea in my Personal Discussion page. I'd like to bounce them off the people here.

Any thoughts on the project?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Sounds cool, and would be a good exercise for your storytelling. I've though about using zombie run as it sounds like lots off fun, but I don't have joging as part of my training currently so if I used it they would catch and eat me :-( (I'm guessing you don't make it to the end of the story of you are slow in zombie run)

Monk walk could be like a pilgrimage, journey to the west style. A 30 day 30 min fitness walking program.... our something like that :-)

• Like 1

I read the title and thought that is was the newest marathon to hit all the cities, darn! :) That would be awesome though

Sounds cool, and would be a good exercise for your storytelling. I've though about using zombie run as it sounds like lots off fun, but I don't have joging as part of my training currently so if I used it they would catch and eat me :-( (I'm guessing you don't make it to the end of the story of you are slow in zombie run)

Monk walk could be like a pilgrimage, journey to the west style. A 30 day 30 min fitness walking program.... our something like that :-)

I originally down loaded another Couch to 5K app, but reading through its reviews I saw a couple saying how much more the enjoyed Zombie Run 5k. Zombie Run starts out slower and easier then the plain vanilla 5k app. It has more 'free' periods where you set your own pace between walk and slow jog. The intervals are heavily bias'ed towards walking, at least through the first few weeks.

But it has fun moments such as when you're enlisted to see how close you can get to a Zombie who's chained to a stake in the ground, to see how close you get before he reacts, with each experiment he pulls the stake out a little more til he's free and after you. Making me think Runner 10 who set up the experiment is evil and the crook who's stealing supplies from the base. Hopefully that shows you the depth of the story lines you listen to.

I can walk 3 or 4 hours without much effort, but somehow jogging, even slowly wipes me out. Still the 15 minutes of steady jogging done in week 4, I couldn't have gotten through 3 weeks earlier.

Edited by thelerner

Thanks M I now have Zombie run 5k - which was fun but as I don't want to do a 5k race ... I also got Zombie Run 2

Working (and walking) through the 1st season, did the 1st "mission" twice - once in the 5k on Saturday then again in Zombie Run on Sunday. As I'd done it the day before and knew they wouldn't "catch me" (think I've got that part turned off) I was able to just do a nice slow walk ... ok I still sped up just not a much as the 1st time :lol:

It's working, i.e. I went for a walk 2 days in a row, now I want to get in another before the weekend so I can collect more stuff and build my base :) (as well as hear how the story ends)

Was telling my Mum about it and she said “How old are you?” :D Apparently not too old to play.

• Like 1

Cool program isn't it. I've got Zombie Run 2, also. Haven't used it yet, waiting til I graduate the 5k app. I haven't redone any missions. When you do, is there a difference? I'm under the impression there's a second deeper story line, but I'm not sure. If you're collecting stuff and building a base, you must be using ZR 2. I'll have to try it.

Be sure to register your copy. Once you're synced you get a file which contains the days you ran, plus the lengths and even a map of the route (if you use gps).

In the not distant future we'll be using this google goggles or something similar and when zombies come, we'll see'em for real. I can hear the message now. You were too slow..a banker zombie has your credit card..it's swiping off $10, run faster to get it back...

Sign in to follow this