Sign in to follow this  
Raine

Food

You might have just lost your cook-off competitor, TM.

No matter - my money was on you anyway. (-:

• Like 1

I mostly cook without recipes, but if you are comfortable with imprecise measures (a pinch, a handful, a tad, etc.), just tell me what you fancy and I'll try to tell you how to make it.

Let's start with methods and utensils. I don't use anything electrical. No teflon either, or aluminum. It's a wok or a pan for rapid-fire dishes, and an assortment of clay pots (notably a Romertopf) for slow-cooking no-watching-over-it dishes, also heavy enameled cast iron ones for similar purposes but these go on top of the stove rather than in the oven (the choice depends on the season -- I don't use the oven during the summer months, but love to in winter). I own three Chinese cleavers, of which one is a present from a pro and is reputed to be the best in the world. This one cleaver is enough to replace most of kitchen equipment, it can cut and slice anything as though it's a gob of emptiness, grind, flatten, tenderize, mince, even puree. I seldom use anything else, except when I'm making pico de gallo, for which I have a special alligator cutter, and which I like to mix (the pico de gallo, not the cutter) with mashed avocado and sunflower oil and rice vinegar diluted half and half with water (that's Mex-Rus-Asian, technically -- most of my cooking is fusion.) But you can make pico de gallo with an ordinary knife too if you have the patience.

I eat some of my foods raw, mostly sashimi. I don't eat grains except when I have a great big craving for tamales, which happens once in a blue moon. I can give you a recipe for my tamales if you like but they do involve what few Americans eat-- pork back lard.

I love the passion you have talking about this. It's an immense enjoyment to read. Have you ever thought to blog? Food blogs are big and you can make a nice chunk of change doing it too!

As for recipes, I'm a decent enough cook. Rough proportions suit me fine, as I usually tweak everything anyway. The only thing measurements are really needed in is baking, though I rarely do that anymore. I don't use grains, seeds, and nuts unless fermented or sprouted but, some wild seeds and grasses are in various sprouted states so those are fine just cooked.

I'm adaptable :) I just love to learn new things, new approache's. Share what your passions are.

• Like 2

Between the sichuan pepper , woodcraft ,and fatback ,

I think I want to marry TM right now :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Raine,

thank you for your kind words. I haven't thought of blogging things food, but now that you mention it, I'll give some consideration to maybe throwing together in a blog some food-related items from my private discussions. I've pictures 'n all, so I would just have to think of how to organize it all so it's useful for someone, it's pretty eclectic.

Stosh,

I believe in a multiverse where all possibilities and potentials of this world are realities of the next -- so maybe there's a timeline where love at first bite IS real! :D

• Like 2

Raine,

thank you for your kind words. I haven't thought of blogging things food, but now that you mention it, I'll give some consideration to maybe throwing together in a blog some food-related items from my private discussions. I've pictures 'n all, so I would just have to think of how to organize it all so it's useful for someone, it's pretty eclectic.

Stosh,

I believe in a multiverse where all possibilities and potentials of this world are realities of the next -- so maybe there's a timeline where love at first bite IS real! :D

If you ever want topic ideas/inspiration, let me know. I'd love to see this blog be born. You could just tell stories of it, food stories, and not worry about anything else. You could start with your first experience.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this