Sign in to follow this  
Tibetan_Ice

My No Pain Meditation Seat

Hi Everyone :)

Steve had asked me to show him my custom meditation seat that I built.

I built this myself because I was tired of having painful legs during 1 hour meditation sits. I could not find anything like it on the net..

post-7745-0-03062700-1374960692_thumb.jpg

My goal was to be able to sit with crossed legs, like easy posture, but with absolutely no pressure points, no parts of the legs mashed on each other.

It took me three tries. I made the seat out of 1/2 inch plywood. The frame is made from 2 X 6's. I wanted a very solid seat that wouldn't move around. Also, when you screw on the 2 X 6's, leave an inch of clearance so that the leather or seat covering can be wrapped around and stapled (don't make the frame flush with the edges of the set).

post-7745-0-12143900-1374960751_thumb.jpg

I also wanted to be able to keep the easy-posture cross legged formation so that is why is the front is indented. Also, I wanted to be able to have little or nothing digging in to the muscle just before the knees so I made the depth exactly the length of the distance of the back of my butt to where the lower legs start to bend, so, I can also rest the lower butt on the wall if I have to.

post-7745-0-66125600-1374960775_thumb.jpg

The seat is made of 2 inch high density foam covered with black leather. After I built the seat, I brought it to a local upholsterer and had him cover it with the leather. Funny, everyone in the shop wanted to know what it was for. I told them it was for meditation. The cost of getting the top upholstered was $200.00 including labour. I watched him build it.

post-7745-0-61112500-1374960791_thumb.jpg

I also purchased a layer of 2 inch high density foam for the bottom piece, which goes on to the ground. This is invaluable for padding the ankle bones. Finally, I put some sheep skin squares on that foam on the bottom.. heaven.. It is so comfortable!

post-7745-0-92960100-1374960733_thumb.jpg

I have been using this seat for around 1 year now and I love it. I have no pain whatsoever, even during extended meditation sessions. I used to hate that so much, having pain from blocked circulation in the legs.. Now, I never even think of it anymore.

Anyway, the thought had occured to me to patent my design and try to make money off of it. I just can't do it. In my heart I feel I should share it freely in hopes of helping others to benefit their meditation sessions.

:)

TI

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 12

I purchased it because of Kunlun, but I really like having a small lamb skin under my zafu. There's a warmth and earthy vibe to it.

Hey TI :-)

I've been looking for something like this for decades! :-)

I really appreciate you sharing the design and I'll certainly be constructing one.

Thanks.

Best Wishes

g :-)

PS Veterinary bedding (sometimes marketed as "Vetbed") might also make a good cover for the lower cushion.

Hey TI :-)

I've been looking for something like this for decades! :-)

I really appreciate you sharing the design and I'll certainly be constructing one.

Thanks.

Best Wishes

g :-)

PS Veterinary bedding (sometimes marketed as "Vetbed") might also make a good cover for the lower cushion.

Hey Gatito :)

Nice to hear from you!

You'll have to let us know how it turns out. Note: The bottoms are actually 2 X 6's ( not 2 X 8). My mistake.. The 2 X 8's were a little too high.

TI

I purchased it because of Kunlun, but I really like having a small lamb skin under my zafu. There's a warmth and earthy vibe to it.

Hi TL, :)

The white blanket I use (first picture), which sits under everthing, is actually a pure woolen blanket.

I also have a sheep's skin rug for my kunlun stool. (took a regular stool and cut down the legs to be just the right height.. )

I do have a zafu too, which came from Deepak Chopra's store (can you believe it?), but it makes my butt go numb and is too hard on the lower back..

TI

• Like 1

I built this myself because I was tired of having painful legs during 1 hour meditation sits. I could not find anything like it on the net..

attachicon.giffromIphone0001.JPG

My goal was to be able to sit with crossed legs, like easy posture, but with absolutely no pressure points, no parts of the legs mashed on each other.

It took me three tries. I made the seat out of 1/2 inch plywood. The frame is made from 2 X 6's. I wanted a very solid seat that wouldn't move around. Also, when you screw on the 2 X 6's, leave an inch of clearance so that the leather or seat covering can be wrapped around and stapled (don't make the frame flush with the edges of the set).

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_3.JPG

I also wanted to be able to keep the easy-posture cross legged formation so that is why is the front is indented. Also, I wanted to be able to have little or nothing digging in to the muscle just before the knees so I made the depth exactly the length of the distance of the back of my butt to where the lower legs start to bend, so, I can also rest the lower butt on the wall if I have to.

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_4.JPG

The seat is made of 2 inch high density foam covered with black leather. After I built the seat, I brought it to a local upholsterer and had him cover it with the leather. Funny, everyone in the shop wanted to know what it was for. I told them it was for meditation. The cost of getting the top upholstered was $200.00 including labour. I watched him build it.

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_5.JPG

I also purchased a layer of 2 inch high density foam for the bottom piece, which goes on to the ground. This is invaluable for padding the ankle bones. Finally, I put some sheep skin squares on that foam on the bottom.. heaven.. It is so comfortable!

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_2.JPG

I have been using this seat for around 1 year now and I love it. I have no pain whatsoever, even during extended meditation sessions. I used to hate that so much, having pain from blocked circulation in the legs.. Now, I never even think of it anymore.

Anyway, the thought had occured to me to patent my design and try to make money off of it. I just can't do it. In my heart I feel I should share it freely in hopes of helping others to benefit their meditation sessions.

TI

AWESOME

This is worth at least one bump

Definitely! :)

(Perhaps you should post it in Contributed Articles?)

• Like 1

attachicon.giffromIphone0001.JPG

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_3.JPG

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_4.JPG

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_5.JPG

attachicon.giffromIphone0001_2.JPG

TI

Great work TI. Keep in mind that parts of meditation can also be seen to experience, work with and understand pain. People who are new to meditation, buy your chair will maybe never experiencing the pain one goes through while sitting on the bare earth. And all the learning that comes with it.

I do not say one has to. Which is up to everyone individually.

I just see similarities to a chair that was once a stone, or made of wood, had no back- or armrest, then all these features came up, everything became softer and softer and the human completely forgot that he was not made to sit all day and what are now the results?

Laziness due to the position one sits in, bent back, puts one more into a sleep-mode, which leads to slacking and to a bad posture and sickness.

All this because one thinks one needs comfort in life :) in my eyes a huge mistake.

But maybemaybemaybe exactly this chair will flourish and because of this chair more people will then also try out the oldest techniques just to have experienced them aswell?? Who knows, if not spirit.

This is an encouragement! I wish you all the best with your invention!

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

Oversize zafu here on a thick zabuton.

I have chunky thighs so the extra height of the zafu cushion helps and the thick zabuton mat is kind on my legs.

It's a comfy set up.

Oversize zafu here on a thick zabuton.I have chunky thighs so the extra height of the zafu cushion helps and the thick zabuton mat is kind on my legs.It's a comfy set up.

Why don't you take a picture and show it to us? (The cushion and mat, that is...)

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Will do.

Great idea.

I'll take it outside in sunshine ( hopefully) tomorrow.

They're both black so not showing up at all well under this lamp light.

Maybe put a book on the zabuton to give scale.

Edited by GrandmasterP

As promised, pic of my oversize zafu plus the zabuton here.

The cocker spaniel ( Miss Alice) lends scale, she is 14 inches at the shoulder.

The zabuton often doubles as her day bed.

I sit seiza fashion which is like kneeling but the zafu takes the weight off my legs and the mat is kind to my knees and feet.

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body." ( GM Chang).

Notice it and return to the breath then it's bearable plus it serves the purpose of keeping us awake.

Longest I go is about 40 minutes and then only on retreat, after that we walk round for a while and then back to sitting so overall in one day about 6-hours but not continuous sitting.

Here at home 20-minutes a day, every day; timed.

It is remarkably comfortable and, I believe; good for the back.

I seldom get back aches.

Best way I reckon is to try a variety of benches and cushions before buying your own as what suits one won't necessarily suit another.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Yup, about forty five minutes for me and my legs would go numb and get very painful. With my bench, I can sit for three one hour sessions with absolutely no pain. Let's me focus on what is important.

Pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong. How are you going to calm the mind when the body is screaming at you?

Aye, it's horses for courses really.

Everyone has a different pain threshold.

I'm not bigging up masochism here but Mindfulness began life in a Pain Management Clinic hence it teaches some useful pain management strategies.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Sorry in advance, but thinking that sitting motionless is a proper meditation is a big misunderstanding. I don't know why this thinking is so common. You actually can move. Since the mind shoud allow everything to flow through it - it is not limited only to thoughts. Body is not exception. It actually moves in deep meditation, you can emit sounds that you don't know that you are able to emit, and perform pranayamas like a pro withouth even knowing what pranayama is and which one you are doing. Spirit brings it into life surpassing average human knowledge. Thinking that meditation should be cozy and calm is really wrong. It can be like that as well but not through forcing it. My friend, sometimes when she meditates makes her neighbours think that she is having some naughty sex orgy.

There are not too many people who will allow this to happend.

For example (it is also meditation): 

all that happends durring meditation

Edited by Kubba

Hi Kubba,

If you want to embrace an all encompassing definition of the term "meditation" that is fine. If you want to include shaktipat and kundalini kriyas too, well it's up to you.

What will you tell people if they ask you about shamatha meditation or the jhanas? Can you distinguish between sutra, tantra and non-meditation?

The topic of this thread is about furniture that helps alleviate pain during long sits. Let's try to keep it that way...

Thanks and all the best...

I purchased it because of Kunlun, but I really like having a small lamb skin under my zafu.   There's a warmth and earthy vibe to it.  

I bet that's what the lamb thought, too.

• Like 1

Hi Kubba,

If you want to embrace an all encompassing definition of the term "meditation" that is fine. If you want to include shaktipat and kundalini kriyas too, well it's up to you.

What will you tell people if they ask you about shamatha meditation or the jhanas? Can you distinguish between sutra, tantra and non-meditation?

The topic of this thread is about furniture that helps alleviate pain during long sits. Let's try to keep it that way...

Thanks and all the best...

I will just say - go and find the realised teacher that will answer your questions. The knowledge of scriptures is nothing when dealing with real problems come and phenomena that you dont have idea of arise. And real teacher can tell you how to sit and when to stop sitting. I almost fried myself and lost consciousness several times after trying to practice jhana on my own withouth proper guidance and I also sat for long periods.

Sorry but this topic just moved me to say it. I know that people will come and read it and think to themselves - "okay so it means that long periods of sitting are better and better to not move ones legs when meditating". Cause that's the presupposition comming out of it. I saw people that have sat for more than 30 years in fixed lotus position and now the only way they can sit is with straight legs or on the chair cause otherwise it is impossible for their knees.

Long periods are not good cause one thinks that it is good. It can be actually harmfull so sometimes simple blanket is better since the boddy can tell you to stop when it is time for stop. I just say it to make peole think before they try to copy someones ideas from the internet

Edited by Kubba

Sign in to follow this