Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Train the weak links in the chain first

Train every day to become ambidextrous and beyond and you will more than likely become balanced in many ways that you cannot even imagine. Doing this will force you to become more aware and present:

Do these things with the opposite hand/arm/leg/foot/etc. that you usually use:

-brush teeth

-carry things

-write

-open boxes

-lift/pick things up

-use remotes

-phone hand

-phone talk side

-door open hand

-get up from sitting lead leg - should be 50/50 - do you use one more than other?

-punch/kick/hit

-touch

-shake hands

-tap foot

-hand gestures when talking

-driving

When you push up from squat position, is one leg doing more work?

Do you carry purse on one side more?

IPOD on one side more?

When doing ab work, does one ab-side do more?

you get point?

Look for imbalance! and correct by strengthening other side...

become left/right master

• Like 3

As should be in wing chun training, do weak side twice as power one... ;)

To become able to use both sides equally...

I can not remember right know where, but I read somewhere..., that we use usually the same patterns again and again as you mentioned for example, brush teeth, carry things and so on... we should try new one patterns which firstly seems do not fit into our assortment...

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

This is a very simple means of challenging ourselves and is well worth the effort.Thank you.

Learn to jump with the other leg. Close your dominant eye while writing ot drawing with a pencil, use the weaker hand if possible. Throw a ball with non-dominant hand at the wall, catch with same x3, then try dominant side x1 and switch back.

• Like 1

Mixed laterality is not uncommon. It can be a cause of problems(mostly if the dominant eye is on the other side IMO) or a strong point having both hemispheres of the brain naturally more developed.

• Like 1

My left hand has always been my carrying hand....I am more comfortable carrying things in this hand than my right. If I train weights I always try to use dumbbells vs. barbells, and I train the weaker side first and whatever number of reps I fail at I will not go beyond that in the other side, even if I can.

• Like 1

juggeling is good to learn. Hand eye coordination, rhythm and using the peripheral sight to track objects.

Always moving like a ninja, using full muscle awareness - trying to walk as light and silent as a cat, like you are stalking prey. For balance exercises on one leg, etc. Spend twice as much time balancing on the 'off' side.

walk with eyes closed - challenge balance and kinesthetic awareness - getting off topic here I know, but so many fun things to do.

If doing a standing dumbbell or barbell exercise, stand on one leg, in a quarter squat position.

Sign in to follow this