konchog uma

Norwegian woman sentenced to 16 mo prison in Dubai for reporting rape

That's just the way it is in the Arab world. The woman is always guilty of being raped. She is lucky they haven't stoned her yet.

Makes you wonder what it will take for some areas of the world to have some sort of social enlightenment. It took Europe two catastrophic wars verging on complete annihilation for it to grow up, I just hope it wont take that sort of suffering in other areas of the world to become decent.

• Like 1

Dubai is still a popular holiday destination despite its strict Muslim justice system. My own view is that it is a place to boycott.

• Like 6

if ever there were a policy to openly frown upon, but covertly endorse rape in spades...

if ever there were a policy to openly frown upon, but covertly endorse rape in spades...

From the article:

"Her alleged attacker, she said, received a 13-month sentence for extra-marital sex and alcohol consumption."

He shoulda gotten 16 months too. Total endorsement of rape.

Horrible. :(

An interesting bit of info I came across recently is that in the 19th century, it was commented on by the British in Afghanistan that the women there were quite promiscuous due to the anonymity provided by their head coverings. Kinda ironic given that many Muslim men accuse Western women of being sluts. Dogmaticism breeds hypocrisy and blindness..

Edited by Enishi

Makes you wonder what it will take for some areas of the world to have some sort of social enlightenment. It took Europe two catastrophic wars verging on complete annihilation for it to grow up, I just hope it wont take that sort of suffering in other areas of the world to become decent.

It usually requires massive amounts of pain for change to happen.

• Like 1

There were many many petitions signed about this from around the world, perhaps the fact that it became global rather quickly helped.

• Like 4

yeah i just read about the pardon, and Norways Foreign Minister had this comment

"Eide told the Norwegian news agency NTB that international media attention and Norway’s diplomatic measures helped Dalelv, who was free on appeal with her next court hearing scheduled for early September."

http://www.france24.com/en/20130722-dubai-pardons-norwegian-woman-rape-case-sex-outside-marriage-sentence

the whole debacle is a stain in the undies of humanity, but at least she isn't being detained in dickland

• Like 1