Sign in to follow this  
jayjay

Building inner force

I'd like to hear some of your opinions and thoughts on building inner strength.

I know there are many techniques from Qigong to Yoga and from Mantras to Meditation but how do you really cultivate this inner strength and carry this with you wherever you go and let it be behind all your expressions and interactions with others?

Like becoming a powerful persons :)

Having lot's of inner strength..

-Jay Jay

There are many routes to achieving the goal you speak of but by far the most important aspect of any such training is persistence in practice. The great majority who start simply lack this quality and so fail to achieve any worthy results.

-Jay Jay

What do you think inner strength is......??? Do you have your own description or definition.....???

I know there are many techniques from Qigong to Yoga and from Mantras to Meditation but how do you really cultivate this inner strength and carry this with you wherever you go and let it be behind all your expressions and interactions with others?

-Jay Jay

Jägerbomb

• Like 1

For inner strength - there is a simple way:

Apply the universal principle:

yi yin yi yang...

it is the way of looking for the complement...

--

just as laozi says in ddj 42:

萬物負陰而抱陽

沖氣以為和

-

all things are carried by yin and embraced by yang

in complementing you are guided to harmony

--

it is the principle of yang sheng 養生

applying it in the three basic keys:

in nutrition

in moving

in thinking

you will win best health which is the key for inner strength.

Building inner strength is like pulling on a bow string. You need to create resistance by not doing what you want or need to do. A very popular way is sexual retention, not having sex when you reaaaaally want to. A lot of people do it wrong by just trying not to think about sex but you need to think about it and not let it happen. After a while people sometimes even forget that sex exists, but luckily for us, we live in an age of SHMEX being everywhere. So you will be reminded about it a lot and that's a good thing. There is also fasting, feeling hungry for a while won't kill you. Some monks even take a vow of silence but if you're not a monk, it would look weird. When you see Tai Chi in practice, the movements are done slowly and the hands are shaking. That's from wanting to throw a punch so hard but not letting that happen, yet. Different practices like that have different goals in mind but they affect the whole system, too.

• Like 1

What do you think inner strength is......??? Do you have your own description or definition.....???

Inner strength means the energy within the body. The body must be able to generate the inner power to give you the inner strength. To develop the inner strength do like what Protector said about the Tai Ji in practice in the above post. Also ask 林愛偉 about the effect of the slowness in developing the inner strength. BTW The inner strength what you are after is the Jin developed from Tai Ji Chuan.

Edited by ChiDragon

-Jay Jay

I think the foundation practice is awareness.

In martial arts, we learn to cultivate 聽勁 (ting jin - listening or sensing skill or power) and in meditation, we cultivate 勁心 (tranquil mind - the awareness that is always there and can be appreciated once the mental chatter dissipates).

These approaches emphasize quieting the self so one can apprehend what already lies underneath.

It is about becoming aware of it's true nature, which is always what you already are.

In this way, the Daoist and Buddhist methods are identical.

All of the mental, energetic, and physical methods are primarily calisthenics that ultimately bring you to this same point of merging with your original nature. Nothing more powerful than that.

Just my $.02, FWIW.

• Like 3

-Jay Jay

first you gotta increase enough energy to permanently open up the third eye and then to fully open up the third eye the heart has to be opened up more.

In martial arts, we learn to cultivate 聽勁 (ting jin - listening or sensing skill or power) and in meditation, we cultivate 勁心 (tranquil mind - the awareness that is always there and can be appreciated once the mental chatter dissipates).

These approaches emphasize quieting the self so one can apprehend what already lies underneath.

It is about becoming aware of it's true nature, which is always what you already are.

In this way, the Daoist and Buddhist methods are identical.

All of the mental, energetic, and physical methods are primarily calisthenics that ultimately bring you to this same point of merging with your original nature. Nothing more powerful than that.

Just my $.02, FWIW.

I think spot on.

I believe 聽勁(ting jin) is to listen or sense(to be exact) the Jin of the opponent. Jin is something which has to be cultivated rather than the ting jin. Another word, Jin is active while ting jin is passive.

I believe 聽勁(ting jin) is to listen or sense(to be exact) the Jin of the opponent. Jin is something which has to be cultivated rather than the ting jin. Another word, Jin is active while ting jin is passive.

Ting Jin comes first, it is the foundation. If you can't listen, you can't issue.

And Ting Jin is not at all passive, it is very active.

If a person wanted to quit smoking , the way to induce themselves to do so is to ,, not try to exert any willpower?

• Like 1

Ting Jin comes first, it is the foundation. If you can't listen, you can't issue.

And Ting Jin is not at all passive, it is very active.

One must has Jin(勁) in order to listen to it. Jin was developed from practicing the basic Tai Ji movements for a period of time, then goes into push hand(推手) to ting Jin(聽勁). Jin is from cultivation and Ting Jin is the application, in push hand, to sense to amount of Jin of the other practitioners. Hence, Jin is active and Ting Jin is passive.

Edited by ChiDragon

If a person wanted to quit smoking , the way to induce themselves to do so is to ,, not try to exert any willpower?

Yes, thank you. One must be smoking first in order to quit later. If one doesn't smoke to begin with, then how can one quit an nonexistent habit....???

Is that what you were saying.....??? If you were, then you are a gentleman and a scholar again.... :)

Edited by ChiDragon

I'm not sure, I would prefer to be considered the gentleman ...

But,,

Lemmme phrase it differently, once one has been smoking, the tendency is to repeat the habit.

There is a perception of distress connected to the new abstinence,, the ordinary view is that one must exercise a thing called willpower to do so.

Krishnamurti appears to have said something to the effect that if ones self gets out ahead of the impulse, there is no willpower needing exertion so the behavior doesn't happen in a misguided attempt to exert .

Does it sound like I am close to the understanding of either of you?

Read "Nothing Ever Happens" the biography of H.W.L. Poonja by David Godman - Poonja says how Krishnamurti had the right philosophy but he had not transmission force - no shakti power.

Obviously the big hang up is celibacy in modern times - male-female relations, secular society, etc.

If a male can escape from all that then there's a chance to build up force -- escape from pervs, etc.

It takes isolation.

Read "Nothing Ever Happens" the biography of H.W.L. Poonja by David Godman - Poonja says how Krishnamurti had the right philosophy but he had not transmission force - no shakti power.

Obviously the big hang up is celibacy in modern times - male-female relations, secular society, etc.

If a male can escape from all that then there's a chance to build up force -- escape from pervs, etc.

It takes isolation.

What did I just say? Ah whatever, perverts unite!

............................ building inner strength.

Like becoming a powerful person :)

-Jay Jay

Building inner strength means one's body must be able to exert an immense force, continuously, without getting fatigue. It can be accomplished by practice Tai Ji Chuan or any type of Chi Kung, for a long time, as long as abdominal breathing is involved.

Edited by ChiDragon

It takes isolation.

Im not really 'into' the idea of reading Poonja's criticism of Krishnamurti's views until I have a whack at them myself.

And then once Ive had a whack at them myself I wont really need to know Poonja's opinion, but thanks for the suggestion, if I wasnt so pigheaded it might be very informative.

Im not one to advocate celibacy either , thats up to someone else, but I do agree that 'other folks' can be very distracting , unsatisfying ,or drag one into their neurotic behavior patterns.

Yeah Poonjaji said the main problem with Westerners is they would go to his ashram for "spiritual" training and then they would just shack up for sex. haha.

So Westerners are very "individualistic" and thing celibacy is a moralistic thing - actually it's psychophysiological as the book Taoist Yoga details - it's how the lower tan tien is created.

So that's why there's so few real spiritual masters out there.

Building inner strength means one's body must be able to exert an immense force, continuously, without getting fatigue. It can be accomplished by practice Tai Ji Chuan or any type of Chi Kung, for a long time, as long as abdominal breathing is involved.

Sounds like stamina.

Im not really 'into' the idea of reading Poonja's criticism of Krishnamurti's views until I have a whack at them myself.

And then once Ive had a whack at them myself I wont really need to know Poonja's opinion, but thanks for the suggestion, if I wasnt so pigheaded it might be very informative.

Im not one to advocate celibacy either , thats up to someone else, but I do agree that 'other folks' can be very distracting , unsatisfying ,or drag one into their neurotic behavior patterns.

Papaji didn't criticize Krishnamurti's views.

In fact, Papaji listed Krishnamurti as one of the handful of enlightened people he had encountered.

What he said about Krishnamurti was that he was not a very good teacher - he couldn't transmit the view effectively.

IMO, he was probably referring to the fact that Krishnamurti's approach to spiritual material was a bit on the intellectual side, certainly very different than Ramana Maharashi and Nisargadatta Maharaj (two folks that Papaji admired). However, for the right person with the right perspective, Krishnamurti's approach can be very effective.

There are many different paths to truth (or none, if you resonate with Krishnamurti or the Dzogchen masters) and that is specifically because each of us is unique and each of us will respond to different perspectives.

That doesn't make one right or one wrong - they are ALL wrong.

They are all simply fingers pointing toward the moon.

Sign in to follow this