silas

Mods: What happened to the Wirathu Threads?

The thread about Ananda Bhante is gone, the other "merged" Wirathu thread was moved to the Pit.

Why the pit? It was already in Off Topics? What happened to Ananda Bhante?????????

Are there no Buddhists to save their own religion?

Edited by silas

Silas-

Your last thread was not really about Ananda Bhante. It was a continuation of the Wirathu thread. Therefore, it has been merged with the Wirathu thread ( it starts at post # 77 in the merged thread) and the whole has been moved to the Pit.

On July 13th I asked you to stop starting new threads about Wirathu.

Why?

Because at that time you had already started 3 threads about it with different titles. Two of them were merged and you can find the third in the Off Topic section.

It would have been appropriate to use the already existing thread to post your new content. Instead of that you disregarded the July 13th request (post #68 in the merged thread). So I treated your new thread as spam, and moved it to the Pit.

This is what has been stated in today's post (#79 in the merged thread).

If you want to post more about Wirathu, you can do so in the merged thread ( in the Pit) or in the thread that is still in the Off-topic section.

The request has been very clear: don't start several threads about the same subject (be it Wirathu or anything else).

If you choose to ignore this request, you will be suspended.

You will also receive a copy of this post via PM.

Thanks

• Like 3

If you want to post more about Wirathu, you can do so in the merged thread ( in the Pit) or in the thread that is still in the Off-topic section.

The request has been very clear: don't start several threads about the same subject (be it Wirathu or anything else).

Mod: is this policy applied to everyone regardless of the topic? I am asking this seriously. If someone posts a topic about, say, Kundalini, must they ALWAYS post to the same thread and never start a new one?

Or does this policy apply to just me or just a topic about Wirathu?

Wait, there are two threads? What is the wirathu thread still going in offtopic? i am out of the loop here

Wait, there are two threads? What is the wirathu thread still going in offtopic? i am out of the loop here

being out of the loop is the aim of supreme buddhahood ... will you be my teacher?

• Like 1

being out of the loop is the aim of supreme buddhahood ... will you be my teacher?

Hmm, i will try my best!

Basically i realized that reading and posting into the wirathu threads was causing me suffering. i did not like this, so i try to stay away from them. When i do get curious, i take my emotions out of the equation :)

Hmm, i will try my best!

Basically i realized that reading and posting into the wirathu threads was causing me suffering. i did not like this, so i try to stay away from them. When i do get curious, i take my emotions out of the equation :)

Oh what is that equation oh master ... is it like E=mc2 sort of thing?

more like reading threads + getting stressed over it = getting stressed about what i read

vs:

just reading it

edit: not very good at math, could be some error on my part :lol:

Edited by Flolfolil

more like reading threads + getting stressed over it = getting stressed about what i read

vs:

just reading it

edit: not very good at math, could be some error on my part :lol:

Does one also get stressed about being stressed ... and so on in an endless cycle?

Hmm, i will try my best!

Flolfolil, I am sorry that you suffered, but is there no one to defend Buddhism as a religion? Will no one suffer for Buddha? So many people make money by selling Buddha, but is there no one to defend his faith?

The mod has not answered my question about posting policy yet. If you all suffer so much for reading about Wirathu, then I will stop posting about him. However, if Wirathu rises in power, please do not say that this is all a surprise, that you didn't see any evil, speak any evil, listen to any evil, so you don't understand how evil became so powerful.

080508-160302-197007.jpg

Edited by silas

Mod: is this policy applied to everyone regardless of the topic? I am asking this seriously. If someone posts a topic about, say, Kundalini, must they ALWAYS post to the same thread and never start a new one?

Or does this policy apply to just me or just a topic about Wirathu?

Silas-

Your post is raising the question of the policy applied to Topic Spam. I will just say a few things since the mod Team is currently working on an unified policy regarding this.

A thread is like place where you start and share a train of thoughts and invite people to react to it. The substantial unity of the thread and its identity lie in the subject matter of your thread and expressed in the title which is the label of your train of thought. Conversely, the thread gives some formal untity to a train of thoughts and a discussion. That's the reason why members do appreciate that contributors of a given thread stay on Topic and don't derail it.

Your four threads didn't have a separate identity. They were all about Wirathu. There was no reason to make 4 different threads during the last 3 weeks time frame.

This applies to you as to anyone else. It has nothing to do with the subject of your thread.

Your four threads didn't have a separate identity. They were all about Wirathu. There was no reason to make 4 different threads during the last 3 weeks time frame.

This applies to you as to anyone else. It has nothing to do with the subject of your thread.

Mod: I am not trying to exasperate you, but I have a follow up question.

What if I wanted to start a thread about a specific aspect of Wirathu? For example, hypothetically, what if I wanted to talk about how Wirathu brushes his teeth in a separate thread because I think it deserves special attention?

Your kidding right?

That would be sort of like me (since I really like Bagua) starting 8 threads all within a month:

1. Park Bok Nam and Bagua

2. Park Bok Nam's books about Bagua

3. Park Bok Nam's version of the horse stance

4. Park Bak Nam's first book about Bagua

5. Park Bak Nam's 2nd book about Bagua

6. Is Park Bak Nam better at Bagua than Dong Haichuan?

7. Is Park Bok Nam a nice guy?

8. Will Park Bok Nam give me a kickback for all this promo?

Though I admit I have been sort of tempted with Andrew Nugent-Head! ;)

Seriously though, it's overkill, no matter the topic.

Mod: I am not trying to exasperate you, but I have a follow up question.

What if I wanted to start a thread about a specific aspect of Wirathu? For example, hypothetically, what if I wanted to talk about how Wirathu brushes his teeth in a separate thread because I think it deserves special attention?

If you think some specific aspect of a subject needs attention, just add a post to the current thread stating that you invite people to discuss with you a specific aspect of the same subject.

I am withdrawing now from this discussion.

If you still have questions, please keep them for yourself until the unified policy is posted.

If you think some specific aspect of a subject needs attention, just add a post to the current thread stating that you invite people to discuss with you a specific aspect of the same subject.

I am withdrawing now from this discussion.

If you still have questions, please keep them for yourself until the unified policy is posted.

Bubbles, I'm sorry, but I must ask this because it is important.

Let's just use the topic of kundalini. There are MANY threads in the forums about kundalini, some posted by the same person, on that single topic. How is that different from my posting about Wirathu, a specific aspect of Wirathu?

I am asking if TaoBums REALLY does NOT want me talking about Wirathu. If everything is put into one thread, you are limiting my ability and everyone else's ability to discuss a topic in a straightforward manner. One post on a topic could be on page 3 and the next post to that same topic could be on page 20. How does someone follow such a train of thought? Other topics are not handled this way.

If you simply don't want me to talk about Wirathu, don't hesitate to tell me that openly. I will understand.

Viator, thank you. Wirathu is a controversial topic, but I must point out that his people (whoever they are) may be visiting this forum (it is a forum for Buddhists), and that Tao Bums have a chance to influence the course of history in Myanmar.

I point out that when I post, I sometimes can come across a teeny bit sarcastic, but that's because so many threads on TaoBums are fueled by sarcasm. It does not mean I am spamming or trolling. Wirathu is a serious and important topic. People in Myanmar are suffering. Ignoring Wirathu does not ease that suffering.

• Like 1

The type of posting that is being addressed by the Concierge group at this point is specifically topic spam though. This is when a person creates many threads on the same subject in a short interval or puts posts on the same subject, often only loosely related to the OP of the thread across multiple threads in a short interval. The attempt generally is one of getting their message spread across as wide a plane as possible for highest visibility, but the effect it has is one of disrupting the community's ability to have discussion on other topics effectively.

No matter how important any topic may be though, it should not be used to drown out other conversations on the board.

Thanks for your understanding.

Viator, let me address some of your points.

1. "when a person creates many threads on the same subject..." Wirathu is an important topic in a Buddhist forum. I cannot think of any topic more important than a threat to the faith. I don't come from the same faith, but my interest lies in how any faith is turned. It is VERY important to understand this. Is TaoBums only for commercial businessses who want to sell Kundalini and magic meditation?

Secondly, threads started in TaoBums forums are loaded with off-topic posts - that the mods do NOT remove. Hence, in a thread about Wirathu, they can post about Kundalini for several pages. The whole thread is LOST. That would be a reason to start another thread to try and bring it back on topic.

Wirathu is a chance to study change, very BIG change and there are few places better suited to do it than at TaoBums.

2. "No matter how important any topic may be though, it should not be used to drown out other conversations on the board." I do not believe I have EVER had more than two threads going at one time about Wirathu - and they are separate topics. One thread was about the PRACTICE of Wirathu's Buddhism - and that includes the political process, because that is part of his practice.

The forums display 20 threads per page. Two threads amounts to 2/20 or 10% of the page. That means 90% of the page is about other things. PLUS, in most cases, only one of my two threads appear at the top of the thread list. The other one is usually on the second page or later.

In Myanmar, it is religious war brewing and how they fight the war is part of Buddhist practice.

Edited by silas

>>If a thread is important people will naturally discuss it.

But they won't if the thread is packed with non-sequiturs. If I want to read a thread on Kundalini, but have to wade through pages of posts about, say, a breakfast food, then I will just drop that thread and move on.

Viator, let's see how things work out.

Two questions - and I am asking seriously:

If the current Wirathu thread dies away - meaning it drops to page 10 in the listing, can I start a new thread?

What if the thread gets too long, can I start a new thread?

Otherwise, are you saying that TaoBums will never have more than maybe 10 threads ever? Because any topic can fit into those threads?

Edited by silas

Solution:

thread creator creates a table of contents with links to specific posts in the first post of their thread

this could easily be done by moderators and users alike, and it would clear up "where did my posts go?" type confusion

Solution:

thread creator creates a table of contents with links to specific posts in the first post of their thread

this could easily be done by moderators and users alike, and it would clear up "where did my posts go?" type confusion

Flolfolil, that idea could work. It's more work, but it could definitely work. Viator, ok with this?

• Like 2