Sign in to follow this  
wenwu

meditation/qigong/ and emotion

hi there

been away for a while, moving house and saying goodbye (temporarily) to my girlfriend, ho hum

i asked this question on another forum and really didn't get much back so here goes nothing,

through your mediation or qigong practice have you found any effect on your emotional states. with me these days when i feel relaxed i REALLY relax and when i am happy it feels more real than it did before and when i get angry (not often) i also feel it is much deeper than before.

has anybody else experienced this or am i going mad?

My temper improved really fast. I remember being one of THOSE jerks who kicked and hit things when they got mad like a 2 year old and I was 25 I think. But within a year of beginning meditation I learned to watch my mind/emotions so well during meditation that it just spread naturally to daily life. I am still as passionate as I was before but I have oodles (ancient Taoist term) more self control.

I'm beginning to understand wu wei, go with the flow. We have our kids still at home along with my grand daughter. It can get very hectic, loud and full of angst. I get lots of practice with wu wei.

Lately I think the 'work' - meditation and contemplation has mellowed me out some. There were times when meditating quieted some of my mind, and made me much more aware of the crap I was thinking. I'd be amazed and regretful at the anger and anxiety that circled through my head.

Maybe thats better then not being aware of it, but it was dark and stressful. I think it moves in cycles. I don't think meditation alone solves psychological problems. A quiet mind can make you aware of an issue, even amplify them. The worst is when you assume that 'it' is not a problem, 'it' is a benefit of your higher mastery and others can't fathom it.

Eventually you have to see where the emotions start and make peace with them.

Michael

I watched that malaise of anxiety, aggression, and depression, etc. blow over and away. It was a relief to get that emotional rollercoaster ride over with.

It's almost like through meditation, &/or qigong, the subcutaneous emotions are drained. And it really helps getting out of that trap of accumulating and harboring new tension. Often, it's experienced intensely, and then it's finished.

I've found that if my meditation is very embodied then I tend to be more emotional later in the day (awareness of suppressed emtions and traumas)...

If it's a 'thoughtless' type meditation then I tend to become quiet inside and able to watch my emotions come up and fade... they dont stop, but I can feel centered while having them instead of getting caught in the drama of it. (I can also notice how the emotions get triggered and become more aware of the pattern I tend to repeat concerning that emotion or that aspect of me that's holding on to this behaviour pattern and emotion - this is very helpful for me)

I've been attempting to combine the thoughtlessness with the embodiment - which results in the suppressed emotions and traumas to reveal themselves during the actual meditation, while I'm centered and able to be fully attentive to the details.

As you cultivate your original mind, emotions and perceptions may seem more intense because of the mental clarity meditation provides as a foundation for your perceptions of reality.

Regards,

Spectrum

In reverse, I have noticed that some adopt the philosophy of attaching very strong emotions to their energetic intent. Isn't this how Anikin was seduced to the dark side?

By attaching for instance something like "anger" to your intent... is this not just asking for self-destructive troubles? The idea that this type of coaching could be passed off as "energy work" is a cause of concern to me. Combining strong emotions to energy circulations certainly has an effect, but the long term effects on the individuals energy patterns outweigh the short term "powerful" feelings experienced through emotive intent. I'm not saying that emotions can't be used as a motivating factor, just that they are spontaneous and occur naturally, for instance the woman who lifts a car off her husband. Hows that for the Power of Love.

I am reminded of Bruces teaching scene in Enter the Dragon "emotional content... not anger"

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this