adept

Xiang Gong - Fragrant Qigong

23 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I think it would be a good idea for you to carry ear plugs with you a lot of the time and use them whenever you are in a noisy environment.  I do that now.

Not wanting to go off topic but since that I always carry my musican custom made earplugs to every gig/concert, they cut off unwanted noise and even give a better spectrum and clarity of the music you're listening, so in this sense you're absolutely right, and I advice every musican and/or concert goer to do the same. 

Edited by Victor
  • Like 1

Wonderful, I will PM so I won't disperse the topic.

I was also wondering why did such a powerful practice not spread much more than it actually did? I understand that Chinese Communist goverment didn't like big groups of people gathering so it banned it, but now with the help of Internet it should have spread all over the globe. Maybe daily commitment it's the obstacle?

• Like 1

Thabk you again,I think I understand. Last observation, probably common to every QiGong style: I find that since I practice I sleep much less and also eat less, like 6 hours at night, but I do not feel tired or confused.

I hope this will not affect my health or mental clarity😂

i'm surprised about this form of qi gong. I have seen the videos and I feel it can work very well on me. I will begin to train it and I will comment how it goes. I am looking at a pdf with does and does not from Dolic and I see he says that we shouldn't concentrate on the movements while we are performing. This is very surprising. What do we have to concentrate on then? Also he says that we can not do meditation if we practise this form. Anyway, I don't think anything very bad can happen if we break these littles rules! :P

Correction: Well, maybe it makes sense, they say you should just relax your mind

Edited by Toni
Correction

I want to share my experiences after more than 3 months doing fragrant qigong. I have done level 1 for three months, and just this has improved my health and wellbeing a lot. It gives you a lot of energy, and it cleanses your stomach very well, among countless other benefits. Now I am doing level 2 too, and it seems it has great benefits as well, but I have only been doing it for the last few days, so I must rather wait more to make a good judgement. But it does seem that it is like a beauty therapy. I have learnt it throught Sifu John Dolic, I bought his dvds, which are a good help.

Also, I want to say that I have taught level 1 to some friends, and they all fell much better after doing it. One of them even admitted to me that in just a few sessions it healed a problem he had. So I strongly recommend this style of qigong to everybody, as it is as simple as efficient

• Like 2

On 8/10/2018 at 2:04 PM, Victor said:

Hi, just wanted to share my short personal experience with this form and ask something about the second level.

I've been doing the first level for about a month and a half, two times a day. I tried to follow strictly the rules for the practice, and I strongly advise to do so to everyone.

As for the healing, I had some nasty condition that involves nerve entrampent and muscle spasm that seems to be like 80% gone.

Also, my tinnitus reverted from quite noticeable (45 deciBels to give an aproximation, to almost not udible, I would say 10 dB with a very low buzz tone), so in this regard I'm very happy and looking forward to achieve 1 year of practice.

Generally I feel more confident, have more energy, my mood lifted and my temperament molded a bit. I also find that I enjoy music much more than before and eat less.

As for the sensation during practice, I have to say that I am an absolute beginner in QiGong, so maybe I just experienced the normal way of things. My sensations are: buzzing in ears, numbness in hands and feet, deep relaxation of leg muscles, feeling of something dripping inside my throath and inside my eustachian tubes and ears. During the meditation part: intense cold, inexplicable happiness, goosebumps and "vision" of a river and/or a big waterfall when I close my eyes. Never smelled anything unusual, but after practice the smell of things seems to be much stronger.

I hope this short report can help someone.

For the second level I wanted to ask if it's better to get the Dvd from Master John Dolic?  I understand that learning from the PDF source leads to an incomplete teaching, since the movement are more complicated than the first level. 

Also, if you know any knowledgeable master in Europe I could consider to personally learn from him. I'm Italian, so if it's possible to meet him in southern Europe I would be really happy.

When I'll complete the 'six months trial' 😂 of this practice I'm considering to introduce my family to it, so hopefully we will do group practice and again test this system with more people.

P.S.

(Special thanks to Earl Grey 😀 for solving  some doubts about Xiang Gong practice)

Ciao Victor,

Would you mind to share how did you start practicing Qigong, through a teacher or using videos and if so which videos. Besides my interest in Qigong to deal with my aging process I was happy to hear about the results of the practice  regarding your tinitus. I I  have tinitus too

On 8/10/2018 at 2:04 PM, Victor said:

Hi, just wanted to share my short personal experience with this form and ask something about the second level.

I've been doing the first level for about a month and a half, two times a day. I tried to follow strictly the rules for the practice, and I strongly advise to do so to everyone.

As for the healing, I had some nasty condition that involves nerve entrampent and muscle spasm that seems to be like 80% gone.

Also, my tinnitus reverted from quite noticeable (45 deciBels to give an aproximation, to almost not udible, I would say 10 dB with a very low buzz tone), so in this regard I'm very happy and looking forward to achieve 1 year of practice.

Generally I feel more confident, have more energy, my mood lifted and my temperament molded a bit. I also find that I enjoy music much more than before and eat less.

As for the sensation during practice, I have to say that I am an absolute beginner in QiGong, so maybe I just experienced the normal way of things. My sensations are: buzzing in ears, numbness in hands and feet, deep relaxation of leg muscles, feeling of something dripping inside my throath and inside my eustachian tubes and ears. During the meditation part: intense cold, inexplicable happiness, goosebumps and "vision" of a river and/or a big waterfall when I close my eyes. Never smelled anything unusual, but after practice the smell of things seems to be much stronger.

I hope this short report can help someone.

For the second level I wanted to ask if it's better to get the Dvd from Master John Dolic?  I understand that learning from the PDF source leads to an incomplete teaching, since the movement are more complicated than the first level. 

Also, if you know any knowledgeable master in Europe I could consider to personally learn from him. I'm Italian, so if it's possible to meet him in southern Europe I would be really happy.

When I'll complete the 'six months trial' 😂 of this practice I'm considering to introduce my family to it, so hopefully we will do group practice and again test this system with more people.

P.S.

(Special thanks to Earl Grey 😀 for solving  some doubts about Xiang Gong practice)

Ciao Victor,

Would you mind to share how did you start practicing Qigong, through a teacher or using videos and if so which videos. Besides my interest in Qigong to deal with my aging process I was happy to hear about the results of the practice  regarding your tinitus. I I  have tinitus too

I can't reply for Victor by personally i got involved when i found the Level 1 pdf. You can start from there and some videos on youtube. The problem is that most videos show wrong forms so you will need to gradually figure out things on yourself or find a teacher in the process.

PS if you do intend to start, there are a ton of warnings to heed regarding the timing before and after drinking/eating, practicing during storms etc.

Edited by Zork

On 9/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, DSCB57 said:

At least the movements are fairly consonant with the written instructions for Level 1, but performed very poorly in my humble opinion. The practitioner obviously has no idea where the LDT is (she circulates around the Middle Dantien), nor the Laugong points, which are supposed to be aligned throughout the movements. The movements are also quite a bit too fast and too rigid. Also, the eyes should be closed in the meditation in prayer mudra. The Daoyin Fa at the end of the video is definitely not correct.

The above is wrong, not because the video is ok but because the observations on fragrant are based in misconceptions.

I want to resolve these issues in case someone is looking for correct info on the system.

First of all fragrant qigong doesn't use TCM principles. So talk about laugong points and LDT, MDT etc is based on lack of this knowledge. 

Second, the speed of the movements matters little. Too fast isn't ok but just fast is fine. The way fragrant works even a general alignment or approximation of the moves will bring some results.

Third, the eyes should be open or half open in the prayer mudra.

The last point is clearly mentioned in the dvd.

If anyone is really interested in the system, please don't rely on the PDF! It has many small mistakes and it lacks some important details like the cleansing form and some of the times that one should not practice!

This is not meant as a challenge to the member posting above.

• Like 3

On 14/07/2013 at 3:52 PM, adept said:

http://www.herbalshop.com/Xiang/xiang-gong.htm

So I was looking at this and it looks really simple to learn. There seems to be a lot of health benefits from this practice. It's unusual in that you don't harmonize your movements with your breathing as in most other forms of qigong.

Does anyone have any long term experience with it ?

Thanks.

Hi. I have just finished my four mounths continuous practice in the level 1. I will start the second level. The level one help me with the COVID 19 (became asymptomatic) i think. My wife that did not train has weak symptoms from covid. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moreira Filho said:

Hi. I have just finished my four mounths continuous practice in the level 1. I will start the second level. The level one help me with the COVID 19 (became asymptomatic) i think. My wife that did not train has weak symptoms from covid. 

I read it was a minimum 6 months at Level 1 before going to Level 2. 

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

I read it was a minimum 6 months at Level 1 before going to Level 2. 

I had the info about Minimum of 3 months. By the way it is the sme time that some use to "lay the fondation". But the founder is already dead and can not give more info about this time requeriment.

4 hours ago, moreira Filho said:

I had the info about Minimum of 3 months. By the way it is the sme time that some use to "lay the fondation". But the founder is already dead and can not give more info about this time requeriment.

Ah well when I practiced, my teacher who learned from the founder Tian Ruisheng and his children said it was six month.

Such a shame to read you can incorporate this with other practices  - seems like such a nice simple exercise to do   -     did i get it right that  all you do in the first level is just this simple movements and thats it no need for visualization  or focus etc ?

20 hours ago, moreira Filho said:

The minimum time varies. It might even take a year. 3 months are ok only if there is no illness that needs to be cured. I assume that you are using the pdf. In that case, remember that it says to seek a teacher for level 2. Level 2 videos on the internet are wrong and there is no guidance on some cases which can cause deviations with fragrant.

7 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Such a shame to read you can incorporate this with other practices  - seems like such a nice simple exercise to do   -     did i get it right that  all you do in the first level is just this simple movements and thats it no need for visualization  or focus etc ?

Visualizations cause problems with the system. Meditation too and also irregular or contrived breathing.

• Like 2

On 19/04/2020 at 1:44 PM, Zork said:

The minimum time varies. It might even take a year. 3 months are ok only if there is no illness that needs to be cured. I assume that you are using the pdf. In that case, remember that it says to seek a teacher for level 2. Level 2 videos on the internet are wrong and there is no guidance on some cases which can cause deviations with fragrant.

Visualizations cause problems with the system. Meditation too and also irregular or contrived breathing.

Yes. I will search for Maria Lucia Lee that is the teacher in Brazil. She begin the system in the country!.

Is it possible that Tian Ruisheng’s relatively early death was because he exhausted his qi in healing so many other people? This is a speculation I read on a Chinese blog, and I wondered if this is considered a possibility in the qigong world.

3 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

Is it possible that Tian Ruisheng’s relatively early death was because he exhausted his qi in healing so many other people? This is a speculation I read on a Chinese blog, and I wondered if this is considered a possibility in the qigong world.

I read that he died of liver cancer. If true, it is anyone's guess what may have caused that cancer however. 

I find the apocryphal Test of Three attributed Socrates useful when dealing with these rumors about Tian Ruisheng (or any other person):

Is it certainly true? Nope, just gossip and rumors.

Is it anything good being said about him? No, but it seems motivated with creating doubt and suspicion on his legacy and skills.

Is it useful to me or anyone else? Only passing anecdotal value in relation to possible Qigong healing practice dangers.

For me, it is a matter of assuaging doubt. The speculated reason for his death (qi expended helping others) would, to me, be a perfectly acceptable explanation for someone with a powerful qigong practice to nevertheless pass away in his 60's.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, virtue said:

There is no reliable evidence for Tian Ruisheng's death in the first place.

Well, no one here likely saw the body, but his death did make the Chinese news, as later his 

son was reported to have been convicted of fraud for continuing to collect Tian Ruisheng's 

pension for quite some time after his death. 

"Son of sect founder is convicted of fraud" - South China Morning Post

https://www.scmp.com/article/420965/son-sect-founder-convicted-fraud

That news story says Tian Ruisheng was reported to have died in September 1995 of liver cancer. 

Unless one of us saw the body and medical documents, we can't say for sure whether the news story was

completely accurate or not, but chances are it is probably true that Tian Ruisheng died in 1995 of some type of cancer. 

I mean we could just as easily say there is no reliable evidence that Elvis really died because we personally may not have 

confirmed the physical evidence there as well,  but chances are pretty high that both are really dead, and that they 

both did die at the time they were reported to have died.  :)

I am quite surprised how some members are readily advocating the likelyhood of Tian Ruisheng's untimely death. There have also been rumors of Qigong Grandmaster Dr. Yan Xin's death which are equally dubious. While either is not an impossibility, let's consider another perspective.

Fragrant Qigong is one of the styles that got really popular during the Chinese Qigong craze, which was aided by the fact that group gatherings make the practice much more effective for healing. Tian Ruisheng used to conduct mass events held in stadiums with thousands of practitioners. The booming and open Qigong culture period ended in China when the Chinese Communist Party basically enforced a suppression of all Qigong styles that could gather huge crowds or didn't readily conform with the party doctrine about whatever was official "knowledge" about internal arts, as we can see from the contemporary reports of even Daoist temples directly reporting to certain offices of CCP and that Beijing draws up plans to outlaw criticism of traditional Chinese medicine per Guardian and other news outlets.

If CCP wanted Mr. Ruisheng to stop his public career and popularity, then what would be easier than simply state that he is dead and defame both the family name and the style's ethical connotations through a fraud allegation? Mr. Ruisheng is the lineage holder and therefore the most advanced practitioner the style has. I doubt he has any practical or personal need to interfere with the pettiness in Chinese politics or to resist falsehoods cast against him. There is very little gain in there against a huge political machine that is known to harshly violate against dissidents.

Bottom line: I wouldn't take anything CCP reports at face value, especially when the reports concern topics sensitive to them.

Edited by virtue
  • Like 1