adept

Xiang Gong - Fragrant Qigong

http://www.herbalshop.com/Xiang/xiang-gong.htm

So I was looking at this and it looks really simple to learn. There seems to be a lot of health benefits from this practice. It's unusual in that you don't harmonize your movements with your breathing as in most other forms of qigong.

Does anyone have any long term experience with it ?

Thanks.

• Like 2

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I practiced the level 1 movements for a few months. I had stopped practicing it because I got busy and I didn't have a lot of time for practicing it along with my other practices. I have recently started practicing this again however as, surprisingly, I found it to be an effective form of qigong. It is a very simple practice to learn with only simple arm movements which can be done standing or sitting, so this practice can also be done by seniors and people who are confined to wheelchairs or who otherwise can't stand long and that sort of thing. I was surprised to find that although the level 1 form of this qigong just has simple repetitive arm movements and doesn't require any special breathing or concentration or visualization, it really does seem to help open up meridians and to stimulate qi flow. For anyone who has practiced other forms of qigong and did not get much results, I would recommend giving fragrant qigong a try. I have started practicing it again as it does appear to be helpful at opening meridians and stimulating qi circulation. I would suggest to anyone who is looking for a good healing form of qigong to give this a try for a few months. If it works as well for others as it works for me, then I think you will not be disappointed. It is possible however that a form of qigong which works well for one person may not have the same effects for some other people. All the best.

• Like 6

spontaneously, yes...never done a practice for it. just happens, regularly. any million different fragrances, no idea if the qualities have ever meant anything, if so too deep for me to see haha :lol:

• Like 2

Only qi gong that was able to correct the deviations I had created from many years of incorrect mco meditation practice. Level 1 should be practiced for 6 months to open the channels and balance everything out. Level 2 practice is when the strong energy is created. Level 3 is secret but I think it is more of a seated meditative practice

• Like 4

Bumping this thread.

I'm going to stop my other qigong routine (baduanjin) and practice this alone for at least six months to see how it works out.

I have a few health issues (nothing serious) that my baduanjin hasn't managed to sort out.

Maybe the more subtle, but powerful energetics of Xiang Gong can succeed where the breathing/tendon/muscle focussed 8 brocades can't.

• Like 2

I haven't done this form very often recently, but used to on a regular basis. It is quite easy to learn and doesn't require any special visualizations or breathing patterns. The qi flow that it generates is quite strong, almost on the level of the Pangu form.

I learned it from a DVD by a Chinese acupuncturist who lives in Wisconsin (Dr. Guan Yuan Jin). The DVD didn't give any warnings about combining the form with other practices, so I did. Later I read some writings by the master that popularized the form, which warned against combining it with other things. For what it's worth, I never experienced any negative reactions from doing this.

• Like 3

Well worth visiting the following: http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/fragrant_qigong

Possibly the most information on this form out there; and there are DVDs avaiable of the different levels.

It's very simple and many people disparage because of this; I practiced it for a short time and observed that it works; don't practice now simply because I found another form that better suited me.

Edited by altiora
  • Like 3

Bumpety bump !

Been giving this another go and it really feels good. Simple, but very powerful. The after effects are extremely strong.

Well worth visiting the following: http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/fragrant_qigong

Possibly the most information on this form out there; and there are DVDs avaiable of the different levels.

It's very simple and many people disparage because of this; I practiced it for a short time and observed that it works; don't practice now simply because I found another form that better suited me.

Wow ! So many fascinating testimonials, some of which sound amazing. If these stories are true, then more people really need to practice this.

The founder , Tian Ruisheng, was pretty interesting. I heard that he passed away a while back... but a site also says that he "disappeared" in 1995. Anyone have any more info?

does this really make you smell more smells, or make you more fragrant? or is that just a name :lol:

I read something about him dying (I think of cancer), but his relatives did not report it so that they could continue collecting his pension. Eventually the police found out and they were imprisoned.

I used to practice this set fairly regularly (the 1st one), and never smelled anything unusual. However, it did induce a rather strong qi flow in the hands and feet.

• Like 2

I had some bad experience with this. So I discontinued. It was ok for a while, then I started choking , couple of hours...after doing it ... I looked for errors in my exercises I found that maybe I did them too fast... Still, I had choking..

Note I know I have some blockages in my neck, it stirred them up as I see it.

I need to add I experienced choking when I messaged my neck area on my foot when appying Chinese reflexology. So I know two methods that caused choking.  Except that when I messaged the kidney area as well, choking tended to alleviate faster.

It is also possible that other chi kong methods would have caused the same thing which include moving hands. My conclusion is if one has serious blockages this method can be too rough because Chi gets stuck..

Currently, I do Wuji Zhang Zhuang it looks gentle enough so far.. It may be also a promising tool to fix mishapps (Chi deviations).

Edited by centertime
  • Like 1

The founder (田瑞生) died of liver cancer at age 68. Not a great advertisement for a chee gong style. He supposedly did healing, but apparently did not teach healing. It is unclear if anyone is around who can teach the third and final level (it's not meditation, but rather hand/finger postures). It is one of 14 banned chee gong styles in the PRC (Falun being a 15th, but in its own category).

EDIT: See page two; Earl Grey says he IS alive. Who knows?

Edited by lessdaomorebum
  • Like 2

... the third and final level (it's not meditation, but rather hand/finger postures) ...

If so, then the third level is probably similar to some one finger zen stuff ...  ;)

Dr. Guan Yuan Jin still practices in Milwaukee...I'm going to look in to this since I live there as well.

I'm going to look in to practicing this. Maybe he teaches the forms?

Edited by Rakiel

Hi everyone, Master Tian is actually still alive--my teacher was with him last year.

As for fragrant, I have a lot of experience and few stories about it, but I'll refer you to my teacher in Sydney who really has more if you want to contact him about Xiang Gong. PM me if you fancy.

Everything I can find in English or Chinese says he died in 1995 (well before his style ran afoul of the authorities). Even all the sites promoting his material say he is dead (if they mention his existence). Can you see how your claim would be greeted with some skepticism? Can you provide us with more information, please?

I am not against Xiang Gong. I was initially attracted to it, but everything I read says what I mentioned in my previous posts on this thread. I would be happy to be proven wrong since it is such simple system to practice, I would love it. But everything I can find says what I have said, so please give me a little more than 'my teacher in Sydney says so', OK?

and while he demands a minimum of five thousand people before he'll see anyone, but because he's close to Master Tian, he was cool with visiting him and his children, who all know level 3.

Edited: as Master John says, many things on the Internet are simply not true, but we can believe them or take them as misinformation deliberately released to obscure truth. If he and the other students meeting Master Tian still won't convince people because of Internet articles, nothing will convince them, even if Master Tian and his kids are looking right at the skeptics. :)

Demands 5,000 people before he will see anyone? I don't understand what that means. Since he is trying to keep a low profile, and his system is one of only fourteen (plus one) specifically banned by name, I would guess 5,000 people would be a bad thing.

Many things on the internet are untrue. But everything on the internet I can find, up until your post this morning, says Tian is deceased. Wouldn't I be a fool to say, "Oh, of course, all those web pages and forum postings by Xiang Gong enthusiasts in Chinese and English, from Taiwan and other countries are all wrong!" ?

Thank you for posting your information. I will contact you :)

fourteen (plus one) specifically banned by name

Is there a list online somewhere (I couldn't find anything on a quick search), banning by government sounds like a solid recommendation to me :)

Is there a list online somewhere (I couldn't find anything on a quick search), banning by government sounds like a solid recommendation to me :)

Unfortunately the list is not necessarily in inverse proportion to how powerful the technique is, just how big the movement became combined with how politically dumb the group might have been (Falun Gong really shot itself in the foot).

http://baike.baidu.com/view/13062897.htm

• Like 1

Another interesting aspect of this system, while in others you are often told to practice some long times to achieve serious results, here it's the opposite: "At most, three times a day, no more than this. Otherwise the results will be bad."

Another interesting aspect of this system, while in others you are often told to practice some long times to achieve serious results, here it's the opposite: "At most, three times a day, no more than this. Otherwise the results will be bad."

I may attempt a guess at this.

Different practices do different things. 

I've done qigong where a 15 m meditation makes me feel amazing - refreshed and revitalized.  I've also done this form 3 times in a row, and felt jittery and unwell.  Energy overload.

Too much of anything is not a good thing.