BaguaKicksAss

Some awesome tendon stuff for Bagua, qigong and etc.

Andrew Nugent head explains these principals in amazing clarity! He calls it Daoyin, yet it is quite different than what most people refer to Daoyin as. Some would call what he does stretching and reeling the silk. Anyways, an awesome way to improve your Bagua :).

http://vimeo.com/13499485

http://vimeo.com/13501558

http://vimeo.com/13502817

http://vimeo.com/13504638

http://vimeo.com/13482104

http://vimeo.com/13478225

• Like 7

BaguaKicksAss- I did enjoy watching those videos. He explains some things in his videos, in a way I found helpful.

Have you practiced his DaoYin for any length of time?

I am curious as to the changes that would take place.....

Peace.

• Like 1

I would say more that he puts into words what many of the Bagua teachers teach :).

You watched them all in 13 minutes? I'm hoping he didn't put up shorter versions or something?

Edit: I checked, they are the full length ones... you mean you scanned them... yeah I do that with lots of books. I do recommend a full watch though, very good vids!

No, no! I watched them last year! With some of his other videos.

I went thru a few of the videos on his site.

Edited by Uroboros
  • Like 1

LOL I was wondering, I seem to recall them taking up an entire day when I first watched them ;).

Have you seen the Xie Peiqi stuff as well? I really enjoy those.

I don't practice Yin style myself, but when they speak in principals and foundation stuff all is good.

Bookmarked these for later viewing.

A quick flick through and they look really good.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Yeah, his stuff is really good. Are these the videos that go into the standing postures? He broke down different ways to do the lion standing posture with different "energies" that was very helpful, and definitely one reason why they say the internal arts are internal- you wouldn't get it just by watching it being done. Unless you were a genius :P

• Like 1

Yes those are in there. Stand in such and such posture, and torque, then torque some more, then once you have torqued as far as you can, torque even more!!!

It's a good reminder! When I circle walk I will often forget to torque as far as possible.

I don't practice Bagua but I guess the Daoyin outlined in these vids will go well with my 8 Brocades practice.

It would make your 8 brocades practice 1000 times better! Much of the qigong taught these days leaves this aspect out :(

• Like 1

It would make your 8 brocades practice 1000 times better! Much of the qigong taught these days leaves this aspect out :(

If that is true, then it is indeed a shame.

• Like 1

Well not everyone wants difficult work your butt off qigong ;). Also, perhaps it's difficult to teach in a large group class? And I wonder if it is still there within some qigong?

I have been to qigong classes where there was no such mention, not even a hint in that direction! Same with Taichi classes. Others locally have experienced the same thing. I have talked with people who have trained with many teachers over a decade or two, they they had never before heard of the torquing sort of stuff, or even similar concepts. Then some other folks start to cover it day one :).

Youtube has some 8 brocade with no such thing *cries*.

Next I gotta go look up some awesome vids on sinking to post! ;)

• Like 1

LOL I was wondering, I seem to recall them taking up an entire day when I first watched them ;).

Have you seen the Xie Peiqi stuff as well? I really enjoy those.

I don't practice Yin style myself, but when they speak in principals and foundation stuff all is good.

I have not watched any of the Xie Peiqi videos! They looked very interesting. I just watched most of the videos that were freely available. Demystifying Qi, Introduction to the Shan Han Lun....and the DaoYin.

When you speak of torquing, there are a few movements in the Yin Gong Jin I practice that has some torque motions to it. Those are quite fun! One feels like im wringing out my arms! hehe.

Difficult, work your butt of QiGong is wonderful! Even if you do as much as is comfortable for you, without over-extending, the benefits can be great.

OH, I would love to see what kind of Sinking information you might happen to dig up...always good to get a new perspective.

• Like 1

I know what you mean by the wringing out feeling, I love it when you feel like you are wringing out your entire body ;). In essance you are, from a medical qigong perspective! Bagua has all that spiraling stuff, there's a lot of feeling like one is a wet towel being wrung out. Well for me at least.

• Like 1

I love it, too! Those are my favorite movements....When I eventually start to learn Bagua, I feel that I will really enjoy the spiraling aspect.

HHehe, I am a wet towel that needs to be wrung out! Atleast, I feel that way at times.

Im going to re-watch the videos. Thanks for the post, BaguaKicksAss!

I find the concept her explains in the first 3 minutes, about being less wrong. is very interesting to ponder..

Its less wrong rather then right...I remember when I first watched them, It helped shift my thinking towards a new idea of mastery.

Instead of there being a clear goal, where you reach it and your done, its ever evolving, ever changing so you are never quite there....

Edited by Uroboros
  • Like 1

I've watched the first 3 if these vids and I'm very,very impressed. So much so,that I'm going to make his system of Daoyin internal cultivation my main practice.

• Like 1

Adept, how are you enjoying the practice now that it has been a few months? ;)

I love it, too! Those are my favorite movements....When I eventually start to learn Bagua, I feel that I will really enjoy the spiraling aspect.

HHehe, I am a wet towel that needs to be wrung out! Atleast, I feel that way at times.

Im going to re-watch the videos. Thanks for the post, BaguaKicksAss!

I find the concept her explains in the first 3 minutes, about being less wrong. is very interesting to ponder..

Its less wrong rather then right...I remember when I first watched them, It helped shift my thinking towards a new idea of mastery.

Instead of there being a clear goal, where you reach it and your done, its ever evolving, ever changing so you are never quite there....

Never quite there, and never horrible at it to begin with, just ever improving :). I was reminded of these vids again this evening... they are awesome!

Andrew Nugent-Head goes into a lot of depth in these lectures, I'm very impressed and grateful. I'm beginning to learn the Lion System and the Gathering & Developing Qi Sensitivity practices. Does anyone here practice Yin style Bagua who can answer basic questions on the practices? It would be nice if the traditionalstudies website had a forum, maybe they'll get to that in the future.

• Like 2

Andrew Nugent-Head goes into a lot of depth in these lectures, I'm very impressed and grateful. I'm beginning to learn the Lion System and the Gathering & Developing Qi Sensitivity practices. Does anyone here practice Yin style Bagua who can answer basic questions on the practices? It would be nice if the traditionalstudies website had a forum, maybe they'll get to that in the future.

There are many components which are in many styles of Bagua; if you ask the questions, it is possible folks from other similar styles might be able to chime in as well.

• Like 1

I studied some of this material (lion)... for a (far too) short period. Don't hesitate to ask, maybe I can help.

• Like 1

Okay y'all, a few questions! There will be more :)

1. What would be a good way to practice all the material Andrew presents over a two hour session? ie, in which order should I practice the martial aspects of the art (standing strengthening, circle turning, strikes, etc) and the alchemical/medical (healing sounds, gathering & developing qi sensitivity, seated meditations, shaking, patting)?

2. I read that in general, a practitioner chooses an animal that suits him/her and sticks to it, with Lion being a good introductory choice for all. Having watched a few different animal system videos, I'd like to practice several standing strengthening postures from different animals (they're just too awesome!). Is this not a good idea?

3. In Andrew's presentation of the 'Lion Opens Its Mouth' and 'Lion Holds the Ball', the latter seems to be an inactive version of the former where only qi sensitivity and visualization are trained. At one point he switches between the two exercises quickly. If I want to practice these different exercises, what would be a good plan? A few minutes of each, trained on each side, or switching between the two?

I appreciate anyone's help.

• Like 1