Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Breathing

A bum asked about some finer points of breathing and any texts I could recommend.

My reply:

There are many such texts~ I love to read them, but I do not follow any proscribed method. I do not even practice breathing, myself. But that's just me.

When I read them I note them, again and again, recognizing their context and level of concentration, in terms of my experiences. I do not try to duplicate their instructions or even my own experiential states. It's just being fully aware of one's state as it is right now and not seeking beyond this presence.

The rule is to use the sickness as the medicine. It is then very easy to turn the medicine into the sickness unawares when trying to produce results. Even sudden enlightenment is like this.

(Here I go) In terms of the firing process, watching mind without following it is true yang fire; concentration— like going along, following desire in situations without stepping over the line, ei: not following thoughts unawares. That is, consciously observing mind objectively without producing views unawares. Yin convergence is not conceiving views when meditative states (insight) melt through the façade of the intellectual identity. The sudden is a very significant insight, but not beyond forgetting thoughts for an instant. It is inconsequential. What matters is being fully present right now because that is all there is regardless of our current state.

And then I would only make one suggestion concerning breathing …and that is, what is most critical is that one does not concern oneself at all with the breath itself.

What is most essential is letting the mind die down and out. If the mind is racing, then you watch over breath as a counter-point, yes, but it is a very subtle affair. The whole point of mindful breathing is arriving at the clarification of mind and abiding in just that.

But abiding in just whatever state that is is all there is; being mindful of breath is just because it's there anyway. The whole point is watching over the mind; breath is used so you don't go along with the human mentality unawares out of habit. The breathing just keeps one present while one watches over the mind. If you instead make breath the issue, your breathing races and doesn't settle and disappear along with mind in womb-breathing.

Subtle neurosis, bloating and strange ailments are the hallmark of those who are habituated to breathing exercises.

When my mind races, I just let it. i sigh and smile to myself~ like the Clown singing "The Sandman" in Blue Velvet. hahahaa!!❤❤

Last night I was not thinking anything, but I did not effect any subtle states. I just noticed where respiration was located and how subtle it was, and how relaxed my eyes felt, that's all.

Then I fell asleep…❤

I will only mention one book I have called Minding Mind, translated by Thomas Cleary.

ISBN 1-57062-004-0. Evidently, I have read it many times!!❤ haha!!

ed note: oops~ one too many "L" in Cleary.

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

following desire in situations without stepping over the line, ei: not following thoughts unawares.

Good advice that I can use in daily life.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this