ralis

Art As A Spiritual Quest.

As for myself, visual art conveys more meaning and inspiration than reading most so called spiritual books. Listening to music this evening reminded me of this painting.

'Ulysses and The Sirens' by Herbert James Draper.

Herbert_James_Draper%2C_Ulysses_and_the_

Edited by ralis
  • Like 5

Until we reach some exalted stage of being beyond the six senses, I think all our spirituality is approached through the six sense gates. Sound, Light, and tactile sensations probably represent the major players, with mind as the canvass on which those perceptions are played, although taste/smell are important too. I am a big fan of having a room with nothing but spiritually conducive artwork on the walls to put one in 'the zone.'

• Like 2

Until we reach some exalted stage of being beyond the six senses, I think all our spirituality is approached through the six sense gates. Sound, Light, and tactile sensations probably represent the major players, with mind as the canvass on which those perceptions are played, although taste/smell are important too. I am a big fan of having a room with nothing but spiritually conducive artwork on the walls to put one in 'the zone.'

I didn't ask for a lecture as to what is wrong with my OP. If you care to come down from your lofty ideal and relate to the real world, fine! To say that your work is more spiritual than the painting I posted is just an elitist point of view.

Edited by ralis

I didn't ask for a lecture as to what is wrong with my OP. If you care to come down from your lofty ideal and relate to the real world, fine! To say that your work is more spiritual than the painting I posted is just an elitist point of view.

You have misunderstood me. I liked your pic. I was basically saying yes, I agree.

You have misunderstood me. I liked your pic. I was basically saying yes, I agree.

Please state your response more clearly in the future. Thanks

Okay...my idea is this: Take a room, cover the walls with divine/holy art (have nothing BUT divine/holy art in this space), have some speakers built into the walls (behind the sheets of gypsum/drywall - It's easy to do if you know how to frame/paint, etc.)...play divine/holy music in the holy room, with no apparent source of sound. Spray divine/holy aromas into the air (using 100% pure essential oils - I personally go for Pink Grapefruit and Vetiver), sit on your divine/holy meditation cushion (which has been blessed and consecrated), perhaps facing a particular divine/holy image, or an altar if that is your thing..and basically make all incoming senses that of your recognized divinity. Maybe incense? Candles, etc. whatever creates your holy space..then shut the (sound-proofed) door and merge with THAT. Go there to become the BEST state.

indeed..

Edited by skydog

I never thought words were sufficient to interpret what a painting means, but I'd like to know the music that brought the painting to mind.

• Like 1

People want to find a meaning in everything and everyone. That's the disease of our age...”
― Pablo Picasso

'Tales of Brave Ulysses' has references to Persephone, Hades and of course Aphrodite

art is beauty

Edited by skydog

art is the greatest achievement in humanity

it is spiritual it contains the ideal it has its very unique energy,

it expresses in ways spoken and written word cannot

it almost always leads science into the next age

• Like 1

People want to find a meaning in everything and everyone. That's the disease of our age...”

― Pablo Picasso

Have you seen his work? combined with his quote it suggests the disease of the age is cynicism

1. An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others

I think if I had Songtsan's meditation room it would Georgia O'Keefe flower paintings on the walls

post-13019-0-03424000-1373649483_thumb.jpg

Kandinsky

kandinsky_gugg_0910_07.jpg

... and if anyone says modern art is rubbish ... bollocks to you.

• Like 3

from a different age, the birth of venus

Botticelli_Venus.jpg

You beat me to it. I was going to post this last night. One of my favorites.

Whats the thing at the bottom of Dali's pic?

That is left up to your imagination.