Sign in to follow this  
sean

Big mistake

I woke up this morning to seeing that hundreds of spam messages were sent out by dozens of fake members of Tao Bums last night. First I turned off the ability to send pms and emails until full membership (after Lobby post). Then, half asleep, in an attempt to mass prune fake members, I accidentally deleted every member that had joined since February, 2007. Total of 337 members. :blink: Pretty bad. So I had to restore an older database from last night, meaning any posts made today were lost. I am looking into ways that I can import all the posts made in the difference between last night and today but it's possible I won't be able to figure it out.

Really sorry about my mistake. :(

Sean

My, my ... what a mess. How fortunate we are that you dedicate yourself to working on this kind of thing!

I was thinking as some of the new members were piling up, and I noticed some of the screen names they were using ... all I could do was scratch my head and laugh ... :lol:

But there was a time a while back when I browsed through the extensive pages of members (I think is nearing 20 pages, what used to be 5-7 in the middle of last year, heheheh) and saw that more than half of them had never made a post at all (and some of them were members for quite a while in certain cases).

So here is a suggestion of a person who is web-tweaking challenged:

Perhaps you could send out a standard PM to all the members who have not yet made a post to see what their intentions are, even if they are just wanting to read, they could post an introduction, so that you can better gauge them for a genuine person who is interested in the Tao and not the ones who are just geared to proposing their enlarging products or various sneek-a-peek sites and the like. Give them an amount of time to answer, and if none, just delete. Would that be constructive, at all? Or just too much of a pain in the arse?

This is an unrelated ?, but how come when I pull up threads now only the first post shows and all the rest show up in a tree underneath? How do I reset it to where they all just show up one after another in pages?

Sign in to follow this