Sign in to follow this  
curious

does everyone else here find cardio/treadmill/cross trainer to taxing

I mean I do have hypothyroid, am nearly 40 and have just begun tai chi, but find that my energy system dislikes any kind of intense exercise and really lets me know about this

It is not your energy system dislike any kind of intense exercise. It was you are the one who have not exercised to intensify your energy system to begin with.....!!! ;)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

You cannot expect to start intense exercise from scratch and suddenly become a super athlete. Your body will ache and you will feel tired. It is simply a matter of slowly increasing your workload over a period of time. My advice would be to keep at it as the benefits of physical fitness far outweigh the work involved to reach it.

And being nearly 40 does not count as an excuse to give up.

• Like 1

neither of you understood anything of the statement made, I have been regular on cardio for the last 5 years but whatever, clearly not the place to ask,

No I don't find cross training to be too taxing, I enjoy it a lot.

Your question is unclear though.

John

Second for your question being unclear.

Though might also be the wrong place to ask. I imagine everyone here being overweight males who want to get into Tai Chi for the weight loss, it doesn't come off, and they blast weight/cardio for damaging your body, and their overweightness is actually healthiness.

Haha, I kid, I kid... or... do I....?

Shoulda said you have done cardio for the past 5 years, and only recently it started happening. Or did it?

Have you always had this problem? How long have you know about the hypothyroid? Are you taking anything to deal with it? Did the issues always exist, and you just powered through, or are they a recent development?

Details man, give us the details, so we can correctly diagnose you over the internet!

• Like 1

Here is a bit of a tangent. I never considered myself a runner, but at 48 I downloaded a Zombie Run Couch to 5K app for my smart phone. A 30 to 35 minute run program, it has a 2 months of gradual training program, but more importantly it puts you into a post zombie apocalypse story where you are runner 5, in training. Great writing and voice actors make it fun. Each run fills out the story, as you meet new survivors and get new missions.

The best thing about running is its so useful in life. Yesterday at a play (book of Mormon, very good) my wife was chilled by the air conditioning, thus I had a real life mission to run to a store find and by a cheap sweater within a 15 minute intermission. Failure could mean being locked out of the theater, missing the 2nd half, while holding a dumb sweater. But I ran, was lucky, and mission accomplished. Thankfully no zombies around.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

The tao that can be crosstrained is not the eternal Tao.

Lol, I'm terrible. I'm confused by this thread too, though. XD

I mean I do have hypothyroid, am nearly 40 and have just begun tai chi, but find that my energy system dislikes any kind of intense exercise and really lets me know about this

I'm hypothyroid too and taking levothyroxine (T4) and liothyronine (T3) replacement. I'm 55, I still weight train even after lumbar and rotator cuff surgery, walk, started tai chi and do other cardio/aerobic work. Do I get tired? Yes, I run out of steam. It's to be expected being hypothyroid. Replacement meds are not the be-all end-all because the body can't adjust the hormones when it needs to. The simple answer is to push yourself just a little bit more than you feel you can, but not so much that you feel like you're going to die. Hypothyroidism affects cardiac output, so it's easy to get tired.

I'm hypothyroid too and taking levothyroxine (T4) and liothyronine (T3) replacement. I'm 55, I still weight train even after lumbar and rotator cuff surgery, walk, started tai chi and do other cardio/aerobic work. Do I get tired? Yes, I run out of steam. It's to be expected being hypothyroid. Replacement meds are not the be-all end-all because the body can't adjust the hormones when it needs to. The simple answer is to push yourself just a little bit more than you feel you can, but not so much that you feel like you're going to die. Hypothyroidism affects cardiac output, so it's easy to get tired.

Thats a good philosophy...train at the zone that is challenging, but not too challenging. You want to be somewhere that creates an exercise-adaptation response, without creating such a stressor that you will not look forward to exercising next time. Also, cardio only needs to be done in increments of 10 minutes (not including warm/cool-down measured by heart rate)...so you can cross-train..go do a circuit, do some cardio, do another circuit, more cardio, etc. Be creative - don't punish yourself - push yourself, yes, but not in a S&M kind of way. This isn't the army. It's all about you, not the other guy. Find the perfect place to be, where you at least maintain, and grow here and there, and all will be fine.

• Like 1

A great workout is with kettlebells. Swings, when done properly, which are not hard to learn, work the entire body. That means the core, legs, lower and upper back, shoulders, arms, even chest, and most importantly, cardio. One of the best all 'round workouts. :)

• Like 2

A great workout is with kettlebells. Swings, when done properly, which are not hard to learn, work the entire body. That means the core, legs, lower and upper back, shoulders, arms, even chest, and most importantly, cardio. One of the best all 'round workouts. :)

I haven't played with kettlebells too much, thought I have much respect for them. I tend to avoid swinging myself because it 'distracts' (i.e. pulls apart) the joints, and I have very hypermobile joints as it is...so it's not for me..I keep my tendons in line. People with a more dense connective tissue should focus more on mobility and flexibility, whereas people who already have the flexibility should focus on standing strong and moving with intention, without coming apart. :)

Yes you see, that is a perfect example of knowing what works for you and what doesn't. :)

there is a master plan for each body!

Sign in to follow this