Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

Post a picture of your mala.

So here is my mala. I often have a little badge holder that i put sayings into it like, "even though my emotions are in turmoil i have no anxiety"post-1863-0-82616900-1373063025_thumb.jpg

What does one typically chant when using a mala in Taoism? Are there mantras or prayers?

For example, Buddhists and Hindus have mantras like om mani padme hum or om tare tuttare ture svaha; and om namo narayanaya or om namah shiva, respectively, and many others. I have several 108 bead, and one 27 bead malas.

Does taoism have a mantra? don't know, but does it really matter? if all is tao wouldn't moo moo moo be a good mantra?

Cant seem to find it but there is a story about a man who sees a monk meditating and wishs to be like him but the man is to simple to memorize any matra and such. So the monk askes the man what he knows and the man says he knows cows. So the monk gives the man the mantra moo to say everyday when tending to the cows. After some time the man reaches enlightenment.

• Like 2

Does taoism have a mantra? don't know, but does it really matter? if all is tao wouldn't moo moo moo be a good mantra?

Cant seem to find it but there is a story about a man who sees a monk meditating and wishs to be like him but the man is to simple to memorize any matra and such. So the monk askes the man what he knows and the man says he knows cows. So the monk gives the man the mantra moo to say everyday when tending to the cows. After some time the man reaches enlightenment.

The only reason I asked is because I've seen another reference to a mālā elsewhere, so I supposed one does something with it. In Hinduism and Buddhism the goal of meditating on a mantra is to invoke, supplicate, thank a deity, or to receive darshan (vision of the deity), and/or enlightenment. Knowing that some Taoists are theistic I thought a Taoist mālā would serve the same purpose.

I repeat the Jesus Prayer when using my mala. It's made of rosewood and smells quite nice.

Interesting. So I'd probably use my own mantra.

I repeat the Jesus Prayer when using my mala. It's made of rosewood and smells quite nice.

I meant to follow up and ask how many times you repeat the mantra. I have one 27 bead and several 108 bead mālās. I stumbled across this SAN QING JIAO ZU WU LIANG TIAN ZUN (Three Pure Ones, Founders of Taoism, Limitless Honored in Heaven) as an answer to my question in post #2. Does one chant the mantra/prayer as many times as desired?

Sign in to follow this