becomethepath

Happiness and Low Salary

And no cons! Great for you!

I'm glad you are finding your way and getting a bit of relaxation :) Enjoy life- it is such an amazing adventure we're here to experience and it sounds like you're off to a wonderful start :)

I'm glad you and your family are spiritually enlightened, a beautiful long life to you all. So happy that you're happy :)

• Like 2

Not sure what to say to you but if you are serious about the Path, you can't even plan anything in your life. Your plan is more or less the product of forms, illusions. The more you plan, the more you are under the illusions. Happiness, salary, and etc are all illusions. In the highest state of samadhi, there is neither sadness or joy. :)

Now, if you are in the US, you should feel lucky that you have a job that pays well enough to live on. If you are in EU, you are lucky if you even have a job. Not sure about the economy in Asia right now.

Very good topic, thanks for posting. I worked long hours in a cubicle coming out of college and I was miserable. I really thought life was over as I knew it. I eventually resigned and ended up taking a job in the public sector. I like it much better, more freedom, etc. There is still stress, but its much more manageable. I know I'll never become rich, but that's ok.

They say time is money, but I value time much more than money.

At some point I'd like to be able to work less with less stess, maybe part time. Then I could better focus my energy on the way/path, learning, helping others and doing more creative things. I think this would be possible if I saved enough to buy a humble place to live so I wouldn't have a rent/mortgage payment.

• Like 1

I prefer to work no more than 30 hours a week, and spend more time in cultivation practices. No car for me, no house, own just a limited amount of clothes and no extraneous toys...

• Like 1

Most Americans spend most of their time living up to the expectations of other people, parents, friends, teachers, relatives. This leads to suffering. Life is about risk, sacrifice, a gamble and having the courage to face your fears. I'm taking the risk for a low income job in return for greater happiness and joy in my life. Sounds ironic right? How a lot of Millionaires say sacrifice, giving it your all to be successful and wealthy. Work your ass off to get promoted. Work overtime. Don't sleep if you want to be successful.

The wisdom and awareness I gain is my wealth, the happiness and true friends I gain is my success. Even if I live in a shack, as long as I'm happy and compassionate towards people and life, that's all that matters.

Expectations are like chains. They tie you down and they will never let you know what it is like to be free. Once I realized it's all just an illusion, the chains disappear. A sense of freedom that everyone yearns for.

Edited by becomethepath
  • Like 1

Very good topic, thanks for posting. I worked long hours in a cubicle coming out of college and I was miserable. I really thought life was over as I knew it. I eventually resigned and ended up taking a job in the public sector. I like it much better, more freedom, etc. There is still stress, but its much more manageable. I know I'll never become rich, but that's ok. They say time is money, but I value time much more than money. At some point I'd like to be able to work less with less stess, maybe part time. Then I could better focus my energy on the way/path, learning, helping others and doing more creative things. I think this would be possible if I saved enough to buy a humble place to live so I wouldn't have a rent/mortgage payment.

Yes, as long as there is food on the table and clothes on our back.

Oh, and rather than look at the pay as "low salary," how about "sufficient salary." :)

Best to you --

Yes, thanks, thats a good word. I do have plan B and C, I just don't want to share it with anyone haha.

People who do earn more than 80k per year, they have a target on their back because many people are looking to take his/ her position and the company is looking to downsize or cut back, they always start at the top.

Having a "Low income" job has more job stability, not saying it's for certain, but it's more stable than high paying jobs. Unless you are working for a retail chain like mcdonalds or target, then your job is not stable.

For high paying jobs, you are constantly being tested and tested every day, everyday you have to live up to high expectations or else you will be jobless.

Edited by becomethepath

Have you guys ever felt alive? I remember working for this stressful office job, and once the day was done and step out of the door, I felt so much more alive and aware, I felt like I was myself again. It's an amazing feeling of contrast. In the stressful job I had where I was miserable, I felt like a slave, like that was my reality but once I stepped out of the door, it was all just an illusion to me.

Edited by becomethepath
  • Like 1

i have just enough to eat and pay bills and then none left over to do anything at all, so it kinda forces me to look within for my happiness if i want to be happy at all :lol:

• Like 1

Hahaha. Everything to its measure. Indeed.

Constantly stressing about material success is enfeebling and depreciating at best.

There is something to be said about money, it only makes us more of who we already are. Whether we have a little or a lot, it magnifies who we truly are. The fact that there are many souls willing to focus on spiritual pursuits is note worthy. The wisdom and virtue garnered in this life WILL hold it's relevance in the next, compared to the material riches we possess in this life. I refrain from using the word 'value' as if wisdom and virtue could be bought or sold.

We are all on the same path, but many are willfully ignorant at times and are driving themselves insane with expectations that they must fulfill. Furthermore, the fear of death compels one to take risk and live life in a haphazard manor. It is good to learn and stay motivated. To pray, meditate, and be mindful. But most importantly, it is good to find that one can depend on themselves and others, even the higher beings, concerning life. "We all need each other", is what a woman told me in a dream once. I ponder the relevance of this message for some time and realized that this notion was true and that it was also the reason why there is so much grief and stress in the world. Many are living lives in a selfish manor, constantly focusing on themselves and their riches, feeling as if they are all alone. Man has settled for a broken economy where greed is paramount and seems to infect everyone who seeks these 'riches'. hahaha. This system will eventually kill itself and die off, or kill man in the process and then die off. Man needs to learn how to share and this will be a ever-bearing lesson in the coming years.

I have chosen to constantly learn new subjects and to keep my mind invigorated. Whether or not I assume a mass of debt concerning school, I care not. It is a challenge and something that I enjoy. Man should know that money is pointless without man himself. I know I possess enough ingenuity to live life if I desire to do so, with or without money. Learning to die is hard. Living is easy. We seek money for convenience, but convenience has never been a great teacher it seems.

A lot of people today define themselves by their work they do or type of career they are in. To me, looking at society from a far distance, all I see is greed, ego and materialism. Of course, I know some people have a family and they need to pay the bills, that I understand.

Me? I don't want to get married, or have kids, I do want a girlfriend though and a cozy 1 bedroom condo. I want to devote my life to Buddhism. I remember when I was younger, my parents would always push me to study super hard, and find a high paying respectable job. Now things have changed, we all became more spiritually aware/ enlightened.

I plan on working a job that pays 30-38k per year. It's a 9-5 job, and once its 5pm, I'm off work. I have nothing to take home for "homework", nothing to worry about.

"Truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." Max Planck

Except for some groupthink changing event, Planck seems pretty much correct. The ideas that you ponder upon are not mainstream,...although some in the West appear to be embracing a path of minimalism. In the rest of the greater world, it seems like materialism is alive and growing exponentially. Much of what has been called Third World just began their materialist thirst. For those who haven't seen the world yet,...sorry,...it mostly looks like workaholic America these days,...with McDonalds and Subway on one corner, and Starbucks and Pizza Hut on the next,...with EVERYONE focused on their moble devices,...and how to get more money, to buy more. In the mid-size town I live, there are 2 new super malls going up (Maya Chiang Mai and Promenada),....and the existing malls near always full of shoppers.

I like your idea above,...been doing it myself for many years. My motto is (although I didn't coin it),...relate with what will never leave you, and from which you can never leave.

One drawback to the minimalist plan is job security. A sustainable 30k job is great in one's 20's,...but leaves little for investing, insurance, and incidentals (hey, did I just create a 3 i stategy?) For now, mortgage and utilities on a small condo may be under $1k monthly,...but condo fees will surely rise,...and if a problem occurs,...which they always do,...a special condo assessment could hit you for an additional $1-5K at anytime.

I'd love to see a billion people embrace your plan,...not only would it help to sustain those wishing a minimal carbon footprint, by empowering political leaders to advocate such lifestyle,...but would truly bring more happiness, and greater spiritual understanding to the world through reduced attachment.

Wishing you all the wishes you wish for.

• Like 4

"Truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." Max Planck

Except for some groupthink changing event, Planck seems pretty much correct. The ideas that you ponder upon are not mainstream,...although some in the West appear to be embracing a path of minimalism. In the rest of the greater world, it seems like materialism is alive and growing exponentially. Much of what has been called Third World just began their materialist thirst. For those who haven't seen the world yet,...sorry,...it mostly looks like workaholic America these days,...with McDonalds and Subway on one corner, and Starbucks and Pizza Hut on the next,...with EVERYONE focused on their moble devices,...and how to get more money, to buy more. In the mid-size town I live, there are 2 new super malls going up (Maya Chiang Mai and Promenada),....and the existing malls near always full of shoppers.

I like your idea above,...been doing it myself for many years. My motto is (although I didn't coin it),...relate with what will never leave you, and from which you can never leave.

One drawback to the minimalist plan is job security. A sustainable 30k job is great in one's 20's,...but leaves little for investing, insurance, and incidentals (hey, did I just create a 3 i stategy?) For now, mortgage and utilities on a small condo may be under $1k monthly,...but condo fees will surely rise,...and if a problem occurs,...which they always do,...a special condo assessment could hit you for an additional $1-5K at anytime.

I'd love to see a billion people embrace your plan,...not only would it help to sustain those wishing a minimal carbon footprint, by empowering political leaders to advocate such lifestyle,...but would truly bring more happiness, and greater spiritual understanding to the world through reduced attachment.

Wishing you all the wishes you wish for.

Many Americans are not happy. America is FAT and OVER WEIGHT. So is the economy and it is going to deflate for the time being. Many corporations know this and have gone abroad to find 'growth'. The only down to earth people I have seen who are genuinely happy are farmers in America. They work the land and ponder all day long, they go home, eat, sleep, and do it all over again the next day.

Everything else in Amurrriccaa is a game of politics and sorcery. Literally. People are usually too busy working or seeking to obtain more money. I see nothing wrong with other nations seeking to establish a higher quality of life, but do not seek to be American when it comes to fast food and materialism. Many have committed cultural genocide and have forgotten their ancestors. Many have forgotten about others. America is ranked the top nation for mental health disorders. It is a mess here. Especially in the cities. The country side is nice if you can find a decent job out of the cities.

Blessings to you all.

• Like 1

One of the most common regrets of those who are dying is that they worked too hard and didn't enjoy life enough

• Like 1

Many Americans are not happy. America is FAT and OVER WEIGHT. So is the economy and it is going to deflate for the time being. Many corporations know this and have gone abroad to find 'growth'. The only down to earth people I have seen who are genuinely happy are farmers in America. They work the land and ponder all day long, they go home, eat, sleep, and do it all over again the next day.

Yep,....propaganda,...no one does it better than America

http://rense.com/general28/better.htm

American propaganda had its birth, so far as I can tell, in the advertising industry. The pioneers of advertising-a truly loathsome bunch-learned early on that people would respond to purely emotional appeals. Abstract theory and logical argument do nothing to spur sales. However, appeals to sexiness, to pride of ownership, to fear of falling behind the neighbors are the stock in trade of advertising executives. A man walking down the street with beautiful women hanging on his arms is not a logical argument, but it sure sells after-shave. A woman in a business suit with a briefcase, strolling along with swaying hips, assuring us she can "bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, but never let you forget you're a man" really sells the perfume.

....One tyrant who did take American propaganda to heart was Adolph Hitler. Hitler learned to admire American propaganda through a young American expatriate who described to him, in glowing detail, how Americans enjoyed the atmosphere at football games. This American expatriate, with the memorable name of Ernst "Putzi" Hanfstängl, told the Führer how Americans could be whipped up into a frenzy through blaring music, group cheers, and chants against the enemy. Hitler, genius of evil as he was, immediately saw the value in this form of propaganda and incorporated it into his own rise to power. Prior to Hitler, German political rhetoric was dry, intellectual, and uninspiring. Hitler learned the value of spectacle in whipping up the emotions; the famed Nuremberg rallies were really little more than glorified football halftime shows. Rejecting boring, intellectual rhetoric, Hitler learned to appeal to deeply emotional but meaningless phrases, like the appeal to "blood and soil." The German people bought it wholesale. Hitler also called for blind loyalty to the "Fatherland," which eerily echoes our own new cabinet level post of "Homeland" Security.

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

Good for you, becomethepath, I hope everyting works out for your liking.

I grew up in extreme poverty in American standard. My dad wore his under shirt for many years that it took on the look of a fish net. Everything was rationed from food to clothes and shoes. Have you read the book "1984"? It was an accurate description of life in China under the old communist party.

I had only ONE toy for my WHOLE childhood. There was no TV, radio, newspapers or books except the "red books" by China Mao. Both of my parents worked in the same factory. They'd leave my six years old brother to take care of me. He'd cook up some lunch for us sometimes. A few times, I fell down the concrete stairs. I couldn't get up and cried loud. It must be a frustration moment for my brother too.

The funny thing is the effect of poverty on my happiness. Later on, when I comparing notes with my American friends about childhood. It seemed that we all had more and less the same amount of happiness and sadness.

However, I wouldn't want my child living in old childhood "lifestyle".

Since everything is an illusion, I demand less work, more salary, nice cars, and cozy house. Why can't we have everything?

Propaganda is a form of magick, in my opinion.

Groupmind NLP! It works - can cause wars and shut down power plants...let's to some TTB magic to do something neat we should yes. I don't haz any cheezbrugers 2!