Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

A bit of fun...which Taoist said this?

Hi all,

Here is just a small part of it...

"Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."

"Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."

"If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the Tao is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the Tao is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the Tao. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

"The sage will not hesitate to ask a small child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live. For many who are first will become last, and they will become one and the same."

The sage said, "Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you . For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest."

"Heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. In the days when you consumed what is dead, you made it what is alive. When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"

"I shall give you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never occurred to the human mind."

"Have you discovered, then, the beginning, that you look for the end? For where the beginning is, there will the end be. Wise is he who will take his place in the beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death."

"Great is he who came into being before he came into being. If you follow me and listen to my words, these stones will minister to you. For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall. Whoever becomes acquainted with them will not experience death."

"It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

"You read the face of the sky and of the earth, but you have not recognized the one who is before you, and you do not know how to read this moment."

Okay so you have probably got it...Jesus, The Gospel of St Thomas...I've put "Tao" where he said "Father or Kingdom".

• Like 1

I can do that too!

"He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a Tao, sell your cloak and buy one.”

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring yin, but Yang. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than the Tao is not worthy of Tao; and he who loves son or daughter more than Tao is not worthy of Tao. And he who does not take his straw dog and follow Me is not worthy of Tao. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will be immortal."

erm... that might not have worked as intended.

• Like 3

I can do that too!

"He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a Tao, sell your cloak and buy one.”

erm... that might not have worked as intended.

That's because you got the quote wrong.... it's meant to be.. "if you don't have a Towel, sell your Coat and buy one !"

Tell me when the guide is found.

I will be there.

I will bring my own towel.

Idiotic Taoist

Tell me when the guide is found.

I will be there.

I will bring my own towel.

Idiotic Taoist

The guide was never lost.

You are already there.

Towels optional.

ts08jan.jpg

warm regards

The guide was never lost.

You are already there.

Towels optional.

ts08jan.jpg

warm regards

The problem is while the guide is not lost (and never lost), people here do not know where that guide is.

Towel is very important to the scheme of things and to life.

Allow me to quote from Douglas Adams

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy
? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)
—Douglas Adams,
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Idiot on the Path

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this