Jadespear

Hello Fellow Lovers of the Tao

Hello. I am really interested in taoist thought, practice, and ways of living. I consider myself a student and seeker of truth, which means while I understand philosophies and their place I realize the most important part of anything is how it affects me...in short I like practicality and to prove and experience things for myself. I've read and researched many "spiritual" philosophies and practices and would like to be able to eventually experience them all for what they can offer.

I am most interested in chi right now, and to understand if what I have been feeling is the same thing as some of you...please reply if you think you can help me.

Lately I have been noticing vibrating tingling like sensations mostly in my fingertips and through my hands, sometimes in other parts of my body. Incidentally as a result of focusing on these vibrations inwardly in a way they increase...now I have noticed to that wrinkles and lines have begun to form and appear on my hands that were not there before. I am worried that I am doing something harmful to myself, which sucks, because I wanted to understand chi and its healing benefits. Am I actually feeling chi? Or just nerves? Is there a difference? It's almost as if I think I am accelerating the aging of my body, and I thought meditation and feeling chi would lead me to reduce the aging of it...? Have I stumbled on the "dark side" of the force?

I have never had a meditation teacher, and I have only read books on these subjects, which is why I am posting this here now. I wish there was someone in Ohio, which is where I live, who is actually able to personally help me.

Please respond if any of the things I have said interest you, or if you think you may be able to help me understand some of these things.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Welcome to the board Jadespear!

You may be experiencing chi sensations, or it could be something else.

Rapid aging isn't something usually associated with chi development, but

tingling in your hands and rapid aging are both symptoms of diabetes. Please get your blood sugars checked just to be sure!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Welcome Jadespear.

I agree with Cheya regarding the check up. I would also add that therte is no real substitute for a good teacher if you are able to find one.

Good luck and best wishes.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies. I will take your advice into consideration.

I should say as well though that these sensations I intend on causing, they are not simply happening without my desire to make them happen. I was just wondering if maybe I was overcharging myself or something because of the wrinkles that I think I may have caused.

Hi Jadespear, Your in great hand where it counts in taoist bum mindful practices. Seeing fresh, in every-thing. Namaste

Practicing Chi Kung daily has greatly enhanced my sentivity and understanding of chi. If your doing something you feel is harmful....you should probably stop doing it.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

Hey Jadespear! I can tell i'm a lot like you from your description of yourself. I'm also a student, interested greatly in Taoism, spirituality, and meditation. I also like the idea of Chi, but to be honest, i'm rather intimidated by it. It's a lot to swallow.

My opinion is that Chi fits right in with Western medicine. In acupuncture and acupressure, both of which involve chi, the meridians that are used as the maps of the practice are nothing more then nerve pathways in the body. I'm all for integration of Eastern and Western knowledge.

^That's relevant to your case of fingertip tingling because it sounds to me like instead of experiencing Chi, you could be experiencing a lack of circulation to your fingertips, which causes a tingling sensation and also could cause lines and wrinkles to form as blood leaves the area.

I don't know though. If it's really strong, i'd go straight to the doctor.

Hello. I am really interested in taoist thought, practice, and ways of living. I consider myself a student and seeker of truth, which means while I understand philosophies and their place I realize the most important part of anything is how it affects me...in short I like practicality and to prove and experience things for myself. I've read and researched many "spiritual" philosophies and practices and would like to be able to eventually experience them all for what they can offer.

I am most interested in chi right now, and to understand if what I have been feeling is the same thing as some of you...please reply if you think you can help me.

Lately I have been noticing vibrating tingling like sensations mostly in my fingertips and through my hands, sometimes in other parts of my body. Incidentally as a result of focusing on these vibrations inwardly in a way they increase...now I have noticed to that wrinkles and lines have begun to form and appear on my hands that were not there before. I am worried that I am doing something harmful to myself, which sucks, because I wanted to understand chi and its healing benefits. Am I actually feeling chi? Or just nerves? Is there a difference? It's almost as if I think I am accelerating the aging of my body, and I thought meditation and feeling chi would lead me to reduce the aging of it...? Have I stumbled on the "dark side" of the force?

I have never had a meditation teacher, and I have only read books on these subjects, which is why I am posting this here now. I wish there was someone in Ohio, which is where I live, who is actually able to personally help me.

Please respond if any of the things I have said interest you, or if you think you may be able to help me understand some of these things.

Thank you.

Welcome...!!!

I don't know how did you practice in your meditation. However, if you did lots of slow and deep breathing, then, what you had been experiencing like the tingling is the effect of the Chi Sensation. It sounds like that your blood pressure has been increased in your circulation, during your practice, which is completely normal. Hence, the arterioles are constricted to counterbalance the increasing pressure. Otherwise, the arterioles will be fractured.

If you are performing the Chi Kung practice properly, it should aid to slow down the aging process. I don't know how long have you been doing your meditation and how. Do you think you can shed some light with more detail about your practice. Thanks.

Edited by ChiDragon

Thank you Chi Dragon.

Honestly the only thing I do that seems to be part of traditional taught meditation is the fact that I enter into a very still state of being. Stillness physically first, and then mentally, and then sometimes still soulfully. When I am in these states of mind it feels like I am part of the great here and now, or part of the Tao.

I have experienced multiple types of paranormal effects when in these states.... The stiller I am the more power I have. Unfortunately I have yet to gain a good amount of control of these, but this is besides the point.

So anyway, the tingling- sometimes it is like a fuzzy feeling sometimes it is a piercing feeling, sometimes it feels like I am getting hot underneath my skin... Very similar to what it feels like when you touch a hot pan or plate...

I should also say that furthermore....all these things happen mostly when I am inwardly focused.

Thanks guys!

Thank you Chi Dragon.

Honestly the only thing I do that seems to be part of traditional taught meditation is the fact that I enter into a very still state of being. Stillness physically first, and then mentally, and then sometimes still soulfully. When I am in these states of mind it feels like I am part of the great here and now, or part of the Tao.

I have experienced multiple types of paranormal effects when in these states.... The stiller I am the more power I have. Unfortunately I have yet to gain a good amount of control of these, but this is besides the point.

So anyway, the tingling- sometimes it is like a fuzzy feeling sometimes it is a piercing feeling, sometimes it feels like I am getting hot underneath my skin... Very similar to what it feels like when you touch a hot pan or plate...

I should also say that furthermore....all these things happen mostly when I am inwardly focused.

Thanks guys!

You welcome....!!!

Okay, you have not mention anything about breathing. If you will include the breathing in your meditation, it should slow down your aging process. For example, it will increase the blood pressure and make the skin more flexible and expandable to stop the wrinkles. Besides, breathing with increase the metabolism such as mitosis which will regenerate new cells to replace the dead cells. Thus the faster rate to regenerate the new cells which will make one look younger because the older cells are no longer remain for the grotesque look. BTW This is how the aging process works.

Edited by ChiDragon

Thank you Chi Dragon.

That's very good !

Still, qi gong is not (only) about power. Don't focus on achieving power.

From what I know this is "qigong phenomena" . It's not really important , and it may not necessarily mean anything .

It's quite normal, try to control it so it won't disturb your practice. Don't focus on it.

BTW, what is your practice ? Your goal ?

And another thing, I think you should only work towards your goal , not do random technics .

What are your trying to achieved gives you the master, school and then techniques.

ie. : Enlightenment would be a good goal.

just my 2 bani

If by enlightenment you mean a total understanding of the universe, then yes.

My goal is to see god face to face.

I don't buy into Buddhist enlightenment concepts because they make no sense.

What is more enlightening than being happy? What gives more light than being content?

If enlightenment is a state of mind, it passes.

If enlightenment is a feeling it passes

If enlightenment is a realization of sorts, it can be argued against,

Honestly, I think people who chase after enlightenment are searching for a mirage.

Just live.

Lets use western science to define power.

Power= the ability to do work.

Everyone who does any form of meditation is after power. The types of power vary, but power is obviously your goal. Unless of course you just want to learn things to discard them...which would be a waste of time...a total futile waste of your power.

I'm not dishonest in my quest. I don't kid myself. Yeah I want superpower and super people to enjoy it with, super people to discuss it with.

• Like 1

The tingling in the hand is something that is meant to be a good sign in wing chun and the beginning of something special. I haven't got that yet. Im just saying from a win chun perspective you would be on the right track.

• Like 1

I'm not dishonest in my quest. I don't kid myself. Yeah I want superpower and super people to enjoy it with, super people to discuss it with.

Hoo-rah! B)

It's Gobbledee gook written in Japanese....SPAM !!!!

Prada Handbags, Nike etc...

(Reported)

Basher

Practicing Chi Kung daily has greatly enhanced my sentivity and understanding of chi. If your doing something you feel is harmful....you should probably stop doing it.

My 2 cents, Peace

Why is your avatar like Jesus? Is that strange or not? I never come across Christians practising Taoist stuff.

Loads of people pracise the Taoist arts, like Tai Chi, Chi Kung, etc. whilst following another religion or belief system.

The Taoist Religion/Temple stuff is separate.

Basher

Why is your avatar like Jesus? Is that strange or not? I never come across Christians practising Taoist stuff.

Mantak Chia himself is a Christian. I do not consider myself a Christian, or extoll christian theology to anyone. Jesus is just a good example of a human being who was at an advanced level of cosmic understanding, you know....the miracles and stuff....there are probably thousands to choose from in the East, but I wasn't fed eastern stories in sunday school....

Well about that power stuff, from what I understand I think the deeper you go the more paradoxical this power thing will get. As the Taoists say, water is the most powerful thing on earth, yet it is also the most yielding, the most will-less, and indeed therein lies its power. Surely, true power grows the more we are able to let go, be nothing.

I disagree. The more power or development one attains the clearer and more intuitive one becomes. All pillars of wisdom that can weather the hurricane can and will be upheld through all facets of life, spiritual power is no exception.

I'm not an idiot, or a monster. Just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. Duh.