Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

The wisdom of do nothing

I like that guy.

It's a little misleading though. You cannot give up your "egoic self" since there is no such thing in the first place. :)

He starts that talk on a good note, but then he talks about giving up your "egoic self" as if it were a real giving up.

"Egoic self" is simply a notion. It's an empty notion because there is nothing of substance backing it up. And that notion becomes irrelevant with time. But it will never relax into irrelevance if the person is focused on giving up their "egoic self". That merely reinforces the notion that there is indeed something like "egoic self" that needs to be given up.

Edited by goldisheavy

Great vid!!

I second Goldisheavy... egolessness is a very difficult concept for the rest of us to use effectively. Better to talk about love, goodness, well being, "all-is-well-ness", and simplicity. Adyashanti does a fantastic job doing that in this vid.

But, after recommending simplicity and ease, he then tells us how difficult and complicated it is to be egoless he started likening the whole thing to a door-to-door salesman being slick...

So the rest of us go home after the talk, all charged up by his love, but get confused about egolessness to the point we get frustrated for not feeling more loving and then end up going postal.

But maybe that's just me. I'm a postal kind of a guy. :)

Yoda

I decided Ime not going to comment on what any teacher, or student for that matter, says about spirituality or awakening until after I have really awakened myself.

But am happy to read everyones feedback and personal spiritual journies.

i feel like even though he's talking about giving up the egoic self, i don't think he suggests consciously doing it. i think you have to make yourself aware that letting go is the end goal, but then promptly forget that and reach it through entirely different means. i think you have to use a different motive to give up that self.. but maybe somewhere in the back of your mind you never forget that the loss of that egoic self is your end goal.

then again, sometimes i think i just hear what i want to hear. maybe that's not what he's saying at all..?

I decided Ime not going to comment on what any teacher, or student for that matter, says about spirituality or awakening until after I have really awakened myself.

But am happy to read everyones feedback and personal spiritual journies.

At that point, do you think you will want to comment?

I was writing you a really ellaborate response and then I accidently escaped the site losing the post. So I'll just remain silent on this issue for a good while.

:)

Damn Cam, You know how to keep Yoda in suspense!! Get over this here ego thing quick then!

I haven't yet checked out the link but something said in one of the earlier posts (perhaps Goldisheavy?) reminded me of this:

When I ask someone to look for the ego, he or she cannot really find

it. It isn't there. An angry thought or emotion triggers the belief,

"Oh, I've got to get rid of that -- that's my ego."

It's as if everything that's happening in a human being, especially

a human being who is interested in being spiritual, gets used as

proof of the existence of an ego that must be annihilated.

And yet nobody can find it. I have yet to have somebody show me the

ego.

I've seen lots of thoughts, feelings, and emotions. I've watched

expressions of anger, joy, depression, and bliss, but I have yet to

have one person present me with the ego.

From: Emptiness Dancing, by Adyashanti. www.adyashanti.org

Interesting because I was just coming to the point of consideration of what ego is. I had a thought "does ego really exist?" and then a few days later I received this in my email. Co-inky-dink?

Peace

I haven't yet checked out the link but something said in one of the earlier posts (perhaps Goldisheavy?) reminded me of this:

When I ask someone to look for the ego, he or she cannot really find

it. It isn't there. An angry thought or emotion triggers the belief,

"Oh, I've got to get rid of that -- that's my ego."

It's as if everything that's happening in a human being, especially

a human being who is interested in being spiritual, gets used as

proof of the existence of an ego that must be annihilated.

And yet nobody can find it. I have yet to have somebody show me the

ego.

I've seen lots of thoughts, feelings, and emotions. I've watched

expressions of anger, joy, depression, and bliss, but I have yet to

have one person present me with the ego.

From: Emptiness Dancing, by Adyashanti. www.adyashanti.org

Interesting because I was just coming to the point of consideration of what ego is. I had a thought "does ego really exist?" and then a few days later I received this in my email. Co-inky-dink?

Peace

hahaha, i have said this same thing many times

"show me your ego, i will anihilate it for you"

peace

paul

I have come to the point where I am happy to leave the concept of ego behind because I felt it was more restrictive to me. I could never achieve the perfection (or balance) that my "ego" demanded. In my opinion, the concept of ego is different for each person but for me it became a very hard task master that often left me feeling like I had fallen short in some way.

L

Good thing the great teachers were not as strict as you, or we'd all still be waiting to hear any wisdom at all, since none of them would ever say anything or write anything like Tao Te Ching or Chuang Tzu, etc., if they imposed the same restriction on themselves as you now appear to impose on yourself.

Edited by goldisheavy

hehe...jeez..sorry...OK,ok..if I have something really cool to say I'll write a post or something. :unsure:

On 4/20/2007 at 7:09 PM, Yoda said:

When going #2 in a portapotty, ego is what says, "That one is mine."

I am not sure I want to acknowledge that except it was a Yoda original!

Thanks both for the laugh and the memory!

Sign in to follow this