Sign in to follow this  
Jainarayan

Disposal of offered items?

I offer the three recommended items: water, rice, tea (left to right). I've read to feed the rice to the birds (it won't blow up in their tummies). What one does with the water and tea, and any fruits or sweets offered. Consume them? So far that's what I've done. For naivedhya (offerings) to the Hindu and Buddhist deities I either drink the water or water plants with it (they need blessings of prasad too ;) ) and eat the fruit, nuts or other sweets. Sorry if this seems silly. :blush:

:)

i feed leftover rice to the birds too, after reciting the Medicine Buddha mantra 3 times and blowing on the offering.

Youtube of the mantra:

• Like 1

Nice video! I've recited it in Tibetan and Sanskrit. I didn't know about reciting it over the rice. You learn something new every day. :) In fact, I really don't say anything when I feed the wildlife. Maybe I should.

That's what I thought. After the deities partake and bless it, we share in it. I know it would be disrespectful to pour it down the drain. I didn't see why it would be any different in Daoism, I just wasn't sure. Thanks. :)

Sometimes i would set the intention by wishing, "May this offering of rice bring all of you one step closer to a better rebirth."

_/\_

Btw, speaking of offerings...

For those of you who have altars or shrines and make offerings, do you recite a prayer or mantra or something to that effect? I recite (well, read) The Jade Emperor Heart Seal Sutra. Is that OK, is it enough, or is there something else to do? I know there are Laozi's Peace Prayer and Balance Prayer. I like the Balance Prayer, myself.

Sign in to follow this