Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Is Yin Yoga sustainable?

I find myself getting into yin yoga. Is it s sustainable practice? Is kundalini yoga better? I ordered Sarah Powers dvd and have seen both of Grillies, and ordered his chakra one, and Biff's book/cd/cards.

Edited by GrandTrinity

I find myself getting into yin yoga. Is it s sustainable practice? Is kundalini yoga better? I ordered Sarah Powers dvd and have seen both of Grillies, and ordered his chakra one, and Biff's book/cd/cards.

I don't understand this question. What do you mean by "sustainable"?

I would say you should investigate what is your sincere goal for your practice. Then investigate if that goal is not misguided. For example, the goal might be based on false assumptions. So check it out. Then if it's a worthy goal, the practice will become obvious and self-revealing to you.

Those are the questions that can only be answered between you and you alone.

And all this is just my opinion. :)

I just read Grillies (sp?) book. It was nice. He was saying that muscle respond to motion and connective tissue responds to stillness. He also introduced me to the idea that muscle is interwoven with connective tissue and that there is greater subtle energies flow along the connective tissues, so for the sake of stretching and un-knotting muscles, you should think more in terms of connective tissue. I'm going to do the Makko Ho stretches to the hold and relax for a few minutes recommendation of yin yoga and see how that goes.

As long as you don't overdo it, I'd imagine that this sort of training can easily be lifelong.

I know he mentioned chakra training, associated mantras, etc in the book, but that's a whole different ball of wax. Between physical, energetic, and meditative practices the energy ones are the trickiest to sustain, and always need fine tuning.

I find myself getting into yin yoga. Is it s sustainable practice?

This is actually a very interesting question on a lot of levels. On a theoritical level, 'yin' is not sustainable, it must change. But regardless, Yin Yoga is just a term he made up. But I think the practice is a good adjunct to something else. You can't really compare it to Kundalini yoga. I like Kundalini yoga, to me it's Indian Qigong and not really what we normally think of yoga. I might take up Kundalini yoga. Btw, Grilleys Yin Yoga video is so good, if you have just a little background in yoga, you don't really need to take a class. I think it's one of the best instructionals I've seen in a while. I think that people will integrate the yin yoga into their daily routines depending on need.

T

The vid is that good?

The whole 'yin' thing is a bit confusing... it's more of a brand name in this case as T says.

DanC and anyone interested, pm me your email and I'll pdf you my 2 pages on Makko Ho.

Sign in to follow this