christian.lanford

My experience: Concentrating on an small object without blinking

Maybe someone here can put this in perspective. I was doing an exercise daily for a time: keep looking at a small object in front without blinking or otherwise losing concentration. Up to 1.5 hour, but usually about 40min.

My experiences:

1. The object would sometimes appear brighter in color than normal (as in glow).

2. I would sometimes see blue concentric rainbow like (but just one color) phenomena. The circles would sort of appear quite largish and would contract on the object I was observing, as if the circle was flying towards it.

3. For a few minutes after the practice I would sort of see double. That was especially prominent when reading. The letters would all have their copy shifted a bit to the bottom.

4. Tears were flowing out of my eyes, and eyes were sore, making it hard not to blink. That would come and go in waves. That was decreasing the more days I practiced.

5. The tears flowing from my eyes was sometimes preceded by a feeling of something like a small physical object making its way through my body from down my body to the head. It was moving slowly, the whole thing taking about a minute. I would feel it strongest around the middle dantien then throat and then behind the nose, after which tears would flow. The sensation was a pressure, as if a hard object was pushing against the internals of my body, not quite fitting whatever channel it was traveling through. Like swallowing something too large.

The last one was the most unexpected and I would be interested in your comments about it.

The exercise goal was to train the mind power in order to improve directing qi. Practitioner was supposed to do it until the object disappears. The meditator is still concentrating on the object, but can't see it anymore (next level is observing moving objects). I was assuming that it corresponds to one of the buddhist samadhi levels. I since discontinued the practice because I hit a platoe and I noticed my vision at night getting worse. Any reflective lights would appear very blurry to me, not fun when driving at night. Maybe I'll get back to it after I figure out what was going on.

Edited by christian.lanford
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing.

I get the glowing around the object.

I've also experienced foggy vision, tearing and small spasms as the eyes flitter about involuntarily after holding one spot for a long period, (I've gone 30 min or so). The spasms come in small waves after a few minutes, then dissipate.

I've also experienced spontaneous hypnogogic visions (static and moving) when staring at a spot on a blank wall.

Edited by silent thunder

It's a technique generally called forceful zhine. When you focus on an object your giving it energy and thus probably why it appeared to glow....you were probably seeing the aura of the object.

This is a technique often emphasized in Tibetan Traditions. There are 3 steps:

1. Forceful Zhine

2. Natural Zhine

3. Ultimate Zhine

http://www.plotinus.com/zhine_tibetan_dream_yoga_copy.htm

Make sure your completely relaxed while practicing, you don't want to let the intense focus lead to tension, any kind of tightness is bad and defeats the purpose. Overall it's a great exercise for concentration which is the most important skill in Esotericism. You can take that concentration and apply it to other techniques.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

5. The tears flowing from my eyes was sometimes preceded by a feeling of something like a small physical object making its way through my body from down my body to the head. It was moving slowly, the whole thing taking about a minute. I would feel it strongest around the middle dantien then throat and then behind the nose, after which tears would flow. The sensation was a pressure, as if a hard object was pushing against the internals of my body, not quite fitting whatever channel it was traveling through. Like swallowing something too large.

In my opinion, this could be explained in Taoist Yoga chapter 5.

This should be a profound healing technique, but I have no experience in it.

Thanks for sharing.

I get the glowing around the object.

I've also experienced foggy vision, tearing and small spasms as the eyes flitter about involuntarily after holding one spot for a long period, (I've gone 30 min or so). The spasms come in small waves after a few minutes, then dissipate.

I've also experienced spontaneous hypnogogic visions (static and moving) when staring at a spot on a blank wall.

Eyes flittering, I remember that too. I was thinking it falls into the same category as blinking. I was concentrating on an edible object os I could reclaim the qi (no idea if that works but was part of the practice instructions).

Not sure what you mean by hypnogogic visions.

It's a technique generally called forceful zhine. When you focus on an object your giving it energy and thus probably why it appeared to glow....you were probably seeing the aura of the object.

This is a technique often emphasized in Tibetan Traditions. There are 3 steps:

1. Forceful Zhine

2. Natural Zhine

3. Ultimate Zhine

http://www.plotinus.com/zhine_tibetan_dream_yoga_copy.htm

Make sure your completely relaxed while practicing, you don't want to let the intense focus lead to tension, any kind of tightness is bad and defeats the purpose. Overall it's a great exercise for concentration which is the most important skill in Esotericism. You can take that concentration and apply it to other techniques.

My 2 cents, Peace

Never heard the term Zhine before, but the descriptions sound like Jhanas. http://integrateddaniel.info/book/

In my opinion, this could be explained in Taoist Yoga chapter 5.

This should be a profound healing technique, but I have no experience in it.

Thanks. I'll check it out.