photao

Placement of Taoist Altar

I am preparing a taoist altar and have read numerous writings on the subject, including what has been posted in this community. Given the "rules" for placement of the altar, I have a dilemma, given the limited space in my relatively small house. The preferred location would place the back of the altar facing north (front to the south), which I understand is good. The issue with this spot is that while it is technically not in a bedroom, it would be at the end of a hallway which opens into my bedroom. That is, there isn't a wall between the altar and the bed. It is a large open space, a converted attic, which I would describe as "loft-like". The second choice would be the den, which is a kind of family room, but the only available wall there would place the back of the altar to the south, front facing north (not desirable). While this is not a bedroom, it has a futon couch which is used as a guest room when needed. What to do, temporarily remove the altar if we have guests? The third and final choice would have to be the basement, where I could pretty much put the altar anywhere. The issue with that is that it's a semi-finished basement and isn't the most inviting space for meditation. Of the 3 choices, which do you feel would make the best location? I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can give some advice.

Thanks, zerostao. It was actually reading that very thread, and some other readings, that brought up the question of how to best place the altar, given the restrictions of my particular living space. I guess I need further advice as to which guidelines would be the best to follow or sacrifice within the limitations I'm stuck with.

I am preparing a taoist altar and have read numerous writings on the subject, including what has been posted in this community. Given the "rules" for placement of the altar, I have a dilemma, given the limited space in my relatively small house. The preferred location would place the back of the altar facing north (front to the south), which I understand is good. The issue with this spot is that while it is technically not in a bedroom, it would be at the end of a hallway which opens into my bedroom. That is, there isn't a wall between the altar and the bed. It is a large open space, a converted attic, which I would describe as "loft-like". The second choice would be the den, which is a kind of family room, but the only available wall there would place the back of the altar to the south, front facing north (not desirable). While this is not a bedroom, it has a futon couch which is used as a guest room when needed. What to do, temporarily remove the altar if we have guests? The third and final choice would have to be the basement, where I could pretty much put the altar anywhere. The issue with that is that it's a semi-finished basement and isn't the most inviting space for meditation. Of the 3 choices, which do you feel would make the best location? I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can give some advice.

what kind of altar are you putting up??

You can have in the Bedroom when is not in used cover it with a black cloth.

Best direction is East or Southeast.

Do not put it in the basement.

• Like 1

How come not the basement?

I'm guessing something to do with being underground, or being lower than the main dwelling space.

How come not the basement?

I'm guessing something to do with being underground, or being lower than the main dwelling space.

At the beginning, it is best to start simple and build a relationship with the altar.
Over time you can put the altar "anywhere in your house". Because over time your connexion with the altar is fortified and the basement is not going to be a just a basement is going to be a sacred place.
  • Like 2

You can have in the Bedroom when is not in used cover it with a black cloth.

Best direction is East or Southeast.

Do not put it in the basement.

At the beginning, it is best to start simple and build a relationship with the altar.

Over time you can put the altar "anywhere in your house". Because over time your connexion with the altar is fortified and the basement is not going to be a just a basement is going to be a sacred place.

Thank you Dr_D, these are both interesting and useful responses.

• Like 2

The general Tin Yat opinion on the home altar is that its specific placement isn't terribly important, we generally recommend somewhere near a nice source of natural light, in a room or at least an area that is maintained and kept tidy. It probably goes without saying that the kitchen and bathroom are not good places, but...the kitchen and bathroom are not good places. There, I said it.

• Like 1

I've been taught that taoist altars are pretty invariably northern. In other systems, you can have an altar facing any one of the four cardinal directions, but in every case they will be set for different purposes (unless you're dealing with a burst of personal anything-goes creativity, either your own or your source's. :D ) Most traditional systems, however, use specific landmarks or skymarks for the directional orientation of the ritual -- e.g. always toward Mecca for moslems and always toward the North Pole Star for taoists. I wouldn't reform that without a good reason.

For a home taoist altar, there's a difference in the set-up of the "formal" ceremonial one used by a practicing taoist and an "informal" ancestral one used by people who don't necessarily follow any other taoist rituals. The ancestral one can face any direction and the most common place for setting it up is the kitchen. This is practical because you offer food on this altar, and not special ritual food but whatever you and/or your living family are eating, plus the deceased ancestors' favorite dishes on holidays.

For the formal ceremonial altar, it is important that it does not get any of the qi considered "offensive to the gods." So it can't possibly be in, next to, or aligned with the bathroom; a basement is not a good choice either because it can be read as a "disrespectfully low position," nor the kitchen. The only solution I found in my own current situation was to separate a part of the living-room with Japanese screens and create a room within a room. Some people like to display their altars to whoever comes in, but I was advised against it -- it's a private affair, and on a couple of occasions when I did display the altar to strangers by accident (people just walking in on some housecleaning I was doing in that area), the gods were displeased -- a candle sputtered when I lit it, and my three divination coins got stuck inside the metal vase and I couldn't shake them out, inexplicably enough.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

My altar is in my bedroom, because it's the only place I have space in my current home, and actually happens to be oriented north. I agree about the privacy consideration - though we at Tin Yat don't have a formal policy one way or the other on that aspect, it's not something I want to have to explain to guests, or to have to deal with people poking at it.

This may be an odd question... if the altar or shrine is more for honorary or decorative purposes, that is, honoring and respecting the religious representations of Taoism such as San Qing, the Jade Emperor, The Eight Immortals, do the rules for a worship altar hold? I have a fusion Hindu-Buddhist altar on which I have a small picture of the Jade Emperor and a small brass statue of Guan Gong, because they have correspondences in Buddhism and Hinduism.

Is it permissible to have a small table with images of San Qing or other deities, the candles and incense, out of respect but not worship or offerings? Or is there anything wrong (from a Taoist perspective) with simply putting these images on my main altar? The reason for that would be because I equate the Tao with Brahman, with all deities as manifestations of Tao/Brahman. I make offerings of sweets and water to all deities.

I found this, and wonder how acceptable it is http://chinese-gods-of-wealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-set-up-taoist-buddist-altar.html

GUIDE FOR WESTERN FOLKS
You do not need to follow exactly how the Chinese pray to their Deities.The above is a general knowledge on how the Chinese do their prayers.

Example ... When Hindus pray to Chinese Deities, they will use burning lamp (Indian Style) and rotate around the Chinese Deity Statues and ring the bell while chanting with Hindu Mantra. When Chinese pray to Hindu Deities, they will use 3 joss sticks to pray to them.

In Taoism/Buddhism/Hinduism , what matter most is Your Heart, Mind and Soul in Your trust and believe that the deities have the power to protect You and bring Your prosperity and also understand the teachings of the individual Deities.

Most important is the Taoist Deity Statue or Statues MUST BE CONSECRATED or at least there is a TALISMAN to EMPOWER the ALTAR and an Incense Urn to burn Incense.

How You will like to decorate Your Altar is to Your own liking.

TAOISM never force anyone to follow exactly the "Standard Way Of Praying". Praying to Deities of different faith are allowed to be placed together and then blend into Your own Culture and pray the way You feel comfortable with.

As for a talisman, all I have is a blessed and energized Mahāsudarshana yantra that represents Lord Vishnu.