humbleone

Bodhi Meditation

hello, has anyone ever heard of or practiced Bodhi meditation?

There seems to be similarities between qigong and this Bodhi meditation but also differences. Could someone please comment on this statement 'It channels universal energy rather than working with what’s within one person (Qi).'

http://www.bodhimeditationsociety.org/faq/

Master JinBodhi developed Bodhi methodology after spending eighteen years studying traditional philosophy and meditation on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau of China. In 1991, he emerged from this period of intensive training to great acclaim as a meditation master.

Bodhi Meditation, Qi Gong and Tai Chi were all born from the rich soil of 5000 years of Chinese civilization. Practiced properly, they can all induce health benefits. That being said, Bodhi Meditation is unique in the following ways: 1). It channels universal energy rather than working with what’s within one person (Qi). It transcends the genetic and physical limits of just one being by relying and drawing energy from the entire universe. 2). The entire human body is the receiver of this energy. The energy’s effects on the body do not rely on certain meridian paths or pressure points of the body, which are the common requirements for many types of the Qi Gong practices. Such requirements entail the need for close monitoring by experienced master for beginner practitioners. Devoid of such supervision, improper practices and adverse side effects have often been observed. Because of the simplicity of Bodhi Meditation, it can be safely practiced at home by beginners. 3). Tai Chi is a form of martial art. The full- length version has 84 continuous movements. The simplified version still has 24 movements. It will require a period of dedicated practice before a beginner can master it, while the Meditation of Greater Illumination— Bodhi meditation can be learned as quickly as within an hour.

Hello Humble,

In the end of the day, there is no differences between anybody's Qi and Universal Energy.

It seems that Master Jin have made the teachings of non-self, mindfulness and spontaneity the central of his methodology and it is tailored to make it look more interesting and more digestible for some people.

If one are to mindfully approach Qi Gong or Tai Chi from a no-self perspective, one should be able to arrive at similar outcomes.

And of course it is also very rewarding, where one following the traditional path and discovering them with one's own mind.

Peace and Happiness be on your way,

XJ

Edited: Layout fixes

Edited by XieJia
  • Like 2

Prana as a universal energy is a New Age view.

This doesn't look New Age to me as its source:

Prana (प्राण, prāṇa) is the Sanskrit word for "life force"; in yoga, Oriental medicine, and martial arts, the term refers to a cosmic energy believed to come from the sun and connecting the elements of the universe. The universal principle of energy or force, responsible for the body's life, heat and maintenance, prana is the sum total of all energy that is manifest in the universe. This life energy, prana (प्राण) has been vividly invoked and described in Vedas. In Ayurveda, tantraand Tibetan medicine "praṇā vāyu" is the basic vāyu (wind, air) from which all the other vāyus arise.

Though like many other concepts from the east, it has been co-opted and over-used by New Age followers, and its original usage changed. Like 'karma'... everyone throws 'karma' around, but 99% of the people who use it have no idea of its real meanings (several of them). And 'om', we can't forget 'om'.

Prana, which means "life", in this context refers to the prana vayu, which is the main vayu in the body.

But its not cosmic energy.

• Like 1

So last week I attended couple of Bodhi meditation group sessions. The emphasis is all about health, the medicine Buddha. The postures are qigong like, but very heavy emphasis on visualizations and light. Then at the end, quite a bit of time spent patting the body. I have seen sifu Jenny Lamb also do the patting of the body with the hands, to open up channels. For me the results of bodhi meditation are quite positive.

Just curious, if there are other qigong teachers that combine postures and visualizations? Could someone please elaborate, what happens when you engage the mind with visualizations, does this move the energy around better? Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Humble,

The Patting helps and act to relieve tensions.

Visualizations may help one to be more aware of the flows of energies in ones' body.

Some schools do teach that one can move energy through intent.

May your path be fruitful, :)

XJ

• Like 1

I am quite new to Bohdi Meditation.

Several testified that they had recovered from decades of chronic illness after attending the free 9-day Bodhi health camp. Some had to attend the camp a few times before a full recovery. I have not been to any health camp as it is not yet available in my city. I had attended their weekend programs a few times. There is no fee for thier programs here, some very generous donors who benefited earlier are sponsoring these programs.

I found the Bohdi Meditation therapetic, but has yet to experience any miraculous recovery. I was told that the 9-day health camp may be needed in my case.

If anyone here had tried the Bodhi method, I like to know more about it. I may make the arrangement for the 9-day health camp in a nearby city.

I first came to qigong practice after some weekend seminars with Max Christensen. He taught Kunlun, which is a form of spontaneous qigong, it remains one of my practice. Max also taught a meditation he called Red Phoenix. I find the new Red Phoenix taught by Max rather confusing so I am not doing it now. I like his old method but Max told the students who attended his later seminars to practice the new form.

Edited by taodancing