Sign in to follow this  
rezonator

Addiction

This may be an odd request. Has anyone here struggled with addiction, and found help through studying the Tao Te Ching, or perhaps practicing Qigong, something else? Do you know someone else who has? Any specific advice would be helpful. I'm not a religious person, I'm more interested in the philosophy itself. Addiction is something that I've battled for years, and for some reason the TTC makes sense to me, and I feel like it could help me.

I'm tired of fighting my own mind. Free will is something I've always believed in, (free will to me is the ability to focus ones mind, or not) but I've recently come to the conclusion that this is something that I'm not going to overcome by will power alone. My bad "choices" are no longer just "choices". This thing seems to have taken complete control over my mind, to the point where I feel like without some drastic measures I'll destroy myself within a year, I'll be dead.

I cant believe its come this far, but anyone who knows what I mean, knows what I mean.

thanks,

j..

Also, I saw the recent thread on Sex addiction. Thats not what Im talking about. I mean chemical dependency, physical withdrawal etc. I can only imagine the damage Ive done to my body. I rarely eat, I have no sex drive, none, I have no desire to be around people anymore, I'm actually afraid to be in social situations. I was never like this before. There must be a way to reverse this?

I had an addiction to my mind and fears. Through Internal alchemy I continue to heal mself. My advice: Stop wacking of and practice Qi Gong daily and also pray daily for assistance to whatever God or High power you believ in....if your an atheist pray to the niverse or nature...etc. Its not gonna be easy at all, but if you dont give up and persevere no matter what life hits you with......you will suceed.

My 2 cents, Peace

Thank you. How did you start Qi gong? Can you point me in the right direction? Also, I almost never "whack off", but why would it be important to stop?

thanks,

j..

This may be an odd request. Has anyone here struggled with addiction, and found help through studying the Tao Te Ching, or perhaps practicing Qigong, something else? Do you know someone else who has? Any specific advice would be helpful. I'm not a religious person, I'm more interested in the philosophy itself. Addiction is something that I've battled for years, and for some reason the TTC makes sense to me, and I feel like it could help me.

I'm tired of fighting my own mind. Free will is something I've always believed in, (free will to me is the ability to focus ones mind, or not) but I've recently come to the conclusion that this is something that I'm not going to overcome by will power alone. My bad "choices" are no longer just "choices". This thing seems to have taken complete control over my mind, to the point where I feel like without some drastic measures I'll destroy myself within a year, I'll be dead.

I cant believe its come this far, but anyone who knows what I mean, knows what I mean.

thanks,

j..

12 step programs can help. Although they speak of God there is no requirement that you believe anything and instead of God speak of a "higher power as you understand him" . Of course any Chi Kung, Meditation practice can help. 12step programs give you unity with people going through the same problems and attending one that applies can save save you from isolation and misery into a better way of life if you give it a chance. Then you can have more freedom and the TTC and other practices will have more meaning.

Thanks. I really want to avoid the 12 step programs. Like you said, the "higher power" thing turns me off. That and, I see it as replacing one addiction with another. I dont want to spend my time with a bunch of junkies talking about drugs all the time. Its like a church, a religion to those people. Im not into that, I want to do this on my own, I want to drop it and put it away, not dwell on it for the rest of my life.

Ive done damage to my brain, my pleasure/reward circuit is messed up, I just need to find a way to put things back in balance. I think meditation and the Tao can help me with that. I just dont know how to get started, I dont want to waste any more time.

Thanks. I really want to avoid the 12 step programs. Like you said, the "higher power" thing turns me off. That and, I see it as replacing one addiction with another. I dont want to spend my time with a bunch of junkies talking about drugs all the time. Its like a church, a religion to those people. Im not into that, I want to do this on my own, I want to drop it and put it away, not dwell on it for the rest of my life.

Ive done damage to my brain, my pleasure/reward circuit is messed up, I just need to find a way to put things back in balance. I think meditation and the Tao can help me with that. I just dont know how to get started, I dont want to waste any more time.

good luck on your journey.

I'd like to send my best wishes as well. Never give up on yourself!

Is going to some kind of a retreat where you don't have access to the substances an option? Can't speak from experience, but I hear cold turkey works best for most people. It surely is hard, but it's effective, too.

Do you have something else to do instead of giving in to the urge?

As Socrates said: "The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new."

Peace!

Thanks for that. A retreat would sure be the best option, but its just not in the cards right now. Ive got a positive attitude, I think I can do it this time. Its hell, but its only temporary. A week or so of misery is worth the freedom Ill gain, Im literally a slave right now, mind and body.

Ive always had this nagging feeling that once I actually put in the work to get clean, something horrible would happen to me. That just goes to show how nasty this drug is, its putting tons of negative thoughts in my mind about getting sober. Theyre not rational and I know it, but theyre still there.

The Tao Te Ching is my focus right now, studying, contemplating "what does this mean to me"? "how is this meant to help me"?

dont ever touch the shit.

j..

Thank you. How did you start Qi gong? Can you point me in the right direction? Also, I almost never "whack off", but why would it be important to stop?

thanks,

j..

There are many recommendations for Qi Gong in this thread. http://thetaobums.co...start-out-with/

However, this is a simple technique that can help you jump right into healing yourself: http://m.youtube.com...h?v=gr5MkMLyoeI

Not whacking off will help you build energy and help you heal yourself. Qi Gong will help you but it also requires a strong will and self awareness to get over your addictions. The more Qi Gong you do the better you will feel and and more self aware you will be. It's complementary. I wish you the best of luck.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

thanks,

j..

letting come... letting go...

breathing in... breathing out

there is a power in between ... harmonizing

let it be

Ultimately I would say go to rehab and reach out. It is too difficult to do alone, one needs professional help. Only after having established a basic niche in society should one practice any form of spirituality. But until then, if one is ill, one should seek medical aid. This is the best option.

• Like 1

Hi Rezonator. Just joined this insightful site.

I work in a mental health clinic, mostly with drug

and alcohol addiction. I am a resident therapist,

and one of the requirements for the post is to be

an addict yourself, in the recovery stage.

So there are a few terms that come with the territory,

many of which are uncomfortable to start living with.

Yet there is a joy: just as this site is on discussions

about the Way, us addicts already have a path laid out

for us, and the Way is waiting.

You write clearly about obsession, a condition of what we

call Mind. And Mind is the process of thinking and feeling,

and feeling and thinking (Dr. Joe Dispenza).

An obsession sets in and displaces

everything else. Just as a process of illness, sure to follow

obsession is compulsion, which is a fenomenon of conduct.

The compulsive, repetitive behaviour attempts to calm the

obsession, without success. This is the same for smoking

marijuana as with people who wash their hands compulsively,

to calm the obsession of "contamination."

Carl Jung, a true giant of the mental health field put it as follows,

-You are suffering from a neurosis so powerful, that only a

complete transformation of your life will help you. Nothing else will do.-

So, when you write that you are interested only in the philosophy of it,

nothing much will occur.

But this is the beauty of it: no fixed recipies, we chart a map as we go,

and as Swami Rajneesh said, -there is no highway, only goat trails.

I find it the most noble and thrilling walk, to unfold the "philosophy" in

our own journey. So first key I was given is, -learn to be with yourself-

because this is why you became addicted.

I think this site can help you immensely. Have you begun your practice

of The Grand Ultimate? Horse Stance, Wave Hands like Clouds and so forth.

No doubt there are very excellent Martial Artists on here. I feel exhilarated

that we can learn from them!

Cheers my friend.

Edited by footprint

Rez, I really have to agree with the advice to get professional, medical help right now. Today. Online communities such as this one are awesome for support and thought, and are an integral part of the process of healing and becoming your true self, but they really are no substitute for face-to-face, person-to-person help.

Wishing you peace.

Thank you all for your time, and your thoughts. Well, things are about the same around here. I came close to getting over the physical sickness, then, like always, an opportunity presented itself at the worst possible time and I slid backwards a bit. My attitude is still positive. Footprint, thanks for your thoughts. Other that reading, I have begun some basic stretching and Qigong movements (8 brocades, getting comfortable in horse stance etc. simple stuff). Once I feel that I can actually commit myself I plan to find a class in my area.

learning to be with myself,

j..

Some good news: Ive gone from a pint of Vodka a night for the last 10 years to no alcohol at all for the past week.

Surprisingly other that some dizziness in the morning and difficulty getting to sleep the first few nights its been pretty easy.

I'm gonna go ahead and say, I've quit drinking.

j.

Edited by rezonator
  • Like 2

I'm gonna go ahead and say, I've quit drinking.

j.

Great job, Rez! Celebrate every step on your path. :D

• Like 1

The feeling of addiction, that deep driving desire, is made more difficult by looking into the past and future. You feel the desire and in this moment, you can let it go. SUDDENLY, you think about the next minute, hour, day, week, month and it becomes too much! You think, I cant do this! and then it has overtaken you. If you can..pull yourself back to this moment and see the feeling for what it is, transient and finite. It may help ease your path. I have used this for sugar addiction and even if I didnt realize it, when i was on heavy pain meds, the rebound. Maybe something like this can help. Above all others, breathe. If you can infuse your breath with consciousness, that will do wonders. Great luck!

Peace

• Like 1

If you can..pull yourself back to this moment and see the feeling for what it is, transient and finite.

I know what you mean, thats good advice.

thanks,

j..

Really glad to have come across this thread! I am a new member too, and I am also an addict... though alcohol isn't the thing...

I used to see an acupuncturist who introduced me to Zhuan Falun and I used to do those set of exercises and visit him pretty often...

I was in a rehab last summer, so I know how it feels like "thinking about it again" ... NO WAY. I think we have enough brain power, (and speaking of brain power: Nootropics!!!) to help ourselves... and online communities really are the most informative and the best.

I'm also tired of living like this, 23 years old, and never even have lived alone or moved out yet, constantly spending money on stupid things, and the desire to learn new skills or things aren't there. I just got off anti depressants last month though too, but I'm still on an anxiety med... that I want to run away from so bad and can't.

I'd love to keep up with this, I gotta force myself to begin doing Qigong again.

Today is Sunday and I never wake up real early on Sundays, yet here I am for the first time in a long time sitting and reading random things and researching the net instead of being out there "baking" ... that alone makes me feel kinda good inside.

I'll consider my intro thread here, heh... hope I don't forget to check back here. I have memory issues to improve and plenty more... yada yada...

Welcome J and glad to see we are not alone!

Congratulations on no longer drinking vodka! I suggest you put your fears aside and seek professional help. Ten years is quite a long time to live with a daily, altered consciousness. Rehab or a 12-Step program will certainly help take the "edge" off the early days of sobriety and give you a solid foundation with which to recognize when you are in danger of relapsing. These will also provide you with an immediately available support network. I'm not saying that it's impossible to kick on your own, but staying sober will be tough. Why make it any more difficult by doing it alone? Then again, I could be completely wrong. Chogyam Trunpa Rinpoche appeared to have functioned OK, other than for a few serious lapses of judgment.

Edited by kumachan

Sign in to follow this